Updated KLH Model 5... has anyone experienced it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ChrisR2060, Mar 23, 2021.

1. FromMysticStreet

FromMysticStreet Forum Resident

Got mine open box from Crutchfield so I’m safe from this buffoonery.

2. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Had some original Model 5 speakers. In the same way that HPM 100s (had those too) are voiced for live Humble Pie ("I Don't Need No Doctor"), original KLH 5 speakers were voiced for Capitol-era mono Sinatra LPs. I had never heard speakers sound that pleasant and the 5s are what brought me into the world of hi-fi. I would really love to hear the new Model 5s.

3. John Murray

John Murray Forum Resident

It sounds like they kept the magic in what made the original Fives great. I'm wanting the new ones in walnut. I emailed KLH the other day and they will be shipping in July sometime for the walnut and in May for the original cabs? Hope they can supply enough retailers for the high demand

Tawaun A Williams and Helom like this.
  4. nnicola

nnicola Well-Known Member

Paimon, thank you for the very detailed review of the new KLH Five speaker.

Toward the end of your review you said something I think that is really important. That is, after listening for a while:
    “no matter what I play, whether it be jazz, my 80's post-punk records, synth, hip-hop, extreme metal, anything...I just end up focusing on the music.”

Other reviews of the new Model Five that I’ve heard have said exactly the same thing.

That really resonated with me, because for me, it’s really supposed to be all about the music. If I am constantly paying attention to the dynamics of my equipment, and not listening to the music itself, I’m missing out. If the new KLH Model Five speakers enable you to tune out your equipment and just hear the music, you’re lucky to have them and they are truly special.

5. FromMysticStreet

I took delivery of my new model 5’s today. Just a few songs in and there is already a big smile on my face.

OC Zed likes this.
  6. Helom

Helom Forum member

pics?

7. FromMysticStreet

I’ll try soon. Looks like I can’t upload directly here.

8. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Lucky son of a gun! How were you able to snag a pair, if you don't mind me asking? They seem to be rare as hens teeth.

9. FromMysticStreet

i happened upon an open box pair on crutchfield and just bit the bullet immediately. I’m a couple hours in and loving them. I only can compare them to my previous tekton mini lores, but sorry to those tektons (and they are 1,400$ cheaper) but they can’t can’t really hold a candle to these. Those supposedly had 39hz bass to the klh 42, but the KLH has much deeper and more textured bass, warm full presentation, great dynamics, better layered soundstage. Im only powering them with the cheapo NAD 316 BEE but it seems to be plenty of power for now in my 11 by 18 room. No need for a sub for me.

10. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Congrats! I used to have Mini Lores as well, passed them on to a friend. They were fine for $650. Glad to hear the Model 5s are a big improvement. When the 5s eventually start shipping again, I'm hoping Music Direct will have a steady stream of open-box demos at a discount as they do with the JBL L100s.

FromMysticStreet likes this.
  11. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Here’s a pretty cringeworthy review. They finally get around to discussing how they sound about 20 minutes in and do a terrible job.

12. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

Jeez! - I wouldn't buy a coffee from these bozo's!

rischa and ssmith3046 like this.
  13. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Yeah, the guy with the super-long beard thinks he's sooooo charming and funny. Ugh.

14. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

I may get the Walnut ones

15. FromMysticStreet

[​IMG]

16. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I'm in love with these. The Model 5s are like a time machine to my childhood. This pic in particular reminds my of my dad's system. He didn't have KLH speakers, but something with a similar look. Can't wait until they're available again this summer.

17. John Murray

John Murray Forum Resident

Congrats! These are gorgeous. Reminds me of my old Model Fives. Had some stands from some old OLA's I used to own that a member from Audiokarma made for me.

18. jonuiuc

jonuiuc New Member

I've had a pair for about 3 weeks. Sound good to me. I've only had 5" two way bookshelves and old mirage omnipolar speakers to compare them too. Very clear, play without distortion, very, very loud. Its nice having a fuller sounding upper, mid bass. -3db at 40hz is about right, so will still need a subwoofer, if that deep bass is what you desire / need HT type sub pressure in your space. Is a good match for my room, sounds good, placement is a breeze (the sealed design may help there). [​IMG]

19. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

Still awaiting opportunity to home demo the 5's. Meantime some Tannoy Legacy Eatons are on their way for a 14 day trial - they may well steal the show - will see!

20. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Ever since JBL re-introduced their L100, I've been waiting for Henry Kloss' Large Advent - one of my favorite speakers - to return. I really hope this happens!* Plus, it would be fun to read reviews comparing them to the L100, both speakers being very popular back in the 70s, and possibly seeing the revival of the classic "east coast" vs. "west coast" sound debate. :D FYI: for those too young to remember, the Large Advent (sold up to @mid 1980s) was a large-ish 2-way design featuring a 10" acoustic-suspension woofer and a hybrid cone/dome tweeter, then later, a 1" mylar parabolic soft dome tweeter. Clean, deep bass and smooth highs especially with the soft dome tweeter, together providing a detailed but still warm/relaxed listening experience.

* back in 1994 or '95, when I worked at a big-box store selling home audio gear, for their 25th anniversary Advent sold a limited number of Large Advent reproductions (these were equipped with Advent's parabolic dome tweeter). Even at nearly $600 per pair for supposedly "old fashioned" speakers, we sold every pair nearly as fast as we received them. And many people commented on their attractive, furniture-like styling, something many speakers then (and even more so nowadays IMO), lacked.

21. ArthurPower

ArthurPower Well-Known Member

I still have two pairs left of Model Five if anyone is interested?

Mr.XO likes this.
  22. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

I would if anyone buys my current speakers on CL

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Waiting for them to reach the UK. They should have got production and distribution sorted before giving to YouTube reviewers.

24. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I was very excited to see these speakers get reissued, since I always loved the looks and the sound of the originals, but I just couldn't justify spending 2K on them, especially since my placement options are limited. So I patiently waited for a nice pair to come up on Ebay and scored these two weeks ago. I just got them back from my speaker guru who sealed the woofers and the mids and tested the crossovers but miraculously didn't find them out of spec. They have big shoes to fill (I had Polk Monitor 10a's in this system before) but I am liking the slightly more forward and lively sound. All said, I spent $550.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. 60-Lovers

60-Lovers Member

Hello all, I'm new here, and luckily found this forum. Really fall in love with this baby - KLH model 5. I was so lucky to get one here in Hong Kong. However, I didn't have a nice sitting for this wife to sing. :shake:.

Currently, I use a Denon AVR3806 to drive it and I know she is not very happy. So I wonder if I could drive it with:
    1). a solid-state amp (NAD or this combo: ; I'm not the seller, nor Thai and dont know what it say, but this set of pre-power combo, look very promising... )
    2). Melody SP6 tube amp as it is come with EL34x4, 12AX7x2, 6922x2, 12AU7x2 and it should able to power her up nicely with 2x 45W:winkgrin:

If you have any recommendation, welcome :D:D[​IMG]