Marvel (MCU) Phase IV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Which to me sounds like misguided respect. I have a hard time believing that Chadwick Boseman would actually want T’Challa to die, too.

2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Oh, shoot. No coffee when I typed that!!!

3. davenav

They did not anticipate Covid-19. It’s not a marketing plan.

And those people who were complaining? They were wrong.

4. davenav

Misguided respect? Seriously??

5. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Seriously. When Boseman was alive did they ask him how he would feel if they killed off T’Challa? It isn’t as if he died overnight. He had enough time to weigh in on the subject.

6. davenav

My understanding is that Marvel was completely blind-sided by his death.

Vidiot likes this.
  7. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I hope your right.

8. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Even so, I think that it’s a bad assumption that he would even want this honor. It isn’t at all like retiring a number on a jersey. It’s the friggin Black Panther.

9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Point taken, but most movies can be bought from a streaming service for far less.

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I’d think the simplest thing to do would be to explain he somehow did not make it back after the blip for some reason. I realize this could lead to “Poochie returns to his home planet” comparisons but a CGI Boseman dying or leaving Wakanda forever would not be palatable.

tommy-thewho likes this.
  11. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Except that he was very prominently the first to reappear during the finale of Endgame.

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yep. The title is Wakanda Forever, not Leaving Wakanda Forever.

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Not perhaps so much "misguided respect" as a "misguided level of respect." Or perhaps "misguided response to grief and loss." Refusing to recast the role of T'Challa makes NO sense. They'll have to concoct some cockeyed post-fabricated reason for T'Challa's absence that will make no sense and will probably turn off more people than it satisfies. It's no insult to Chadwick Boseman to recast the role of T'Challa after his shocking and unexpected death. They ought to recast the role carefully and dedicate the film to Boseman prominently in the opening credits. And make a film altogether worthy of his memory. One can't ask for better than that.

Stormrider77 and Isaac K. like this.
  14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I've seen persuasive arguments in both directions.

So far the official word is that we won't see the character in Black Panther 2, not necessarily that we won't see the character in future Marvel installments. If Marvel is truly dipping into the multiverse, as the title of the next Doctor Strange film and the rumors about the next Spider-Man film suggest, recasting would be easier than ever from an in-universe perspective.

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I have no problems with a no-recast T'Challa policy. Just get somebody else take the "Black Panther" mantle, call the film "Black Panther: Reloaded" or some similar silly Hollywood title.

If Miles Morales can be Spider Man and Sam Wilson can be Captain America, there is no reason why they couldn't cast somebody like Christian Bale (about the same age of Boseman) or even Ryan Gosling as Black Panther. :whistle: The suit would be a variation of the same we all know and love, just like it happened for Spider Man and Captain America.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  16. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

It wouldn't surprise me if the comics already had a "white" Black Panther. I can imagine Christian Bale performing well in that role actually.

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yes, I agree, the new wave of Disney TV shows are part of the MCU now.

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think it's great. Firstly obviously they do have a backlog to clear so hence the volume, that's not difficult to understand.

But people have been starved of films for over a year now and it's something to look forward to for all the film fans. Normal times and I would say too much but people want to start living again and it's a fantastic treat to get everyone back in the cinemas with four films to look forward to this year. Like a treat for enduring what we had.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Unlike many of the examples the 'Black Panther' mantle is just a title, not a person. So they don't need to recast T'Challa to have a new Black Panther.

I think given everything they may have Shuri take up the mantle of the Black Panther. She is a popular character and wasted a bit as just the tech wizard.

T'Challa dies of camera or at the start of the film fighting a terrible enemy (you just have the CGI suit fighting), Shuri has to save the day by donning the suit and the council says that she should be the new Black Panther and she reluctantly agrees as the nation needs a leader and out of respect for her brother. No-one does the challenge thing out of respect either.

BeatleJWOL and marmalade166 like this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I think I need to stop feeling obligated to watch all this stuff. The two D+ TV shows thus far are things I'll never want to revisit, and Spiderman Far From Home was probably my least fave MCU film, so maybe I'll take a break until Ant Man and GOTG3 in 2023, as truthfully those are the only upcoming titles I have any interest in seeing. Maybe Thor too if it's fun like Ragnarok.

21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Of course I'm aware that they don't HAVE to recast T'Challa,, it's just that in this circumstance, manufacturing a whole new Black Panther character abruptly seems like an unnecessary wrench to the franchise. If there ever was a good reason to just recast the same character (which is not an unprecedented move, even in the MCU) it's this one.

22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

This is probably what I'm most excited about. I just hope they stick to the original comics and not the later ones.

23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

you woulda gotten a laugh out of me if you had said.......
    Robert Downey, Jr.

Joe W likes this.
  24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I thought about that but, no way in hell. Doing that Al Jolson thing today is a no-no

25. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I dunno - admit I did not see any of the Marvel TV shows but I saw the Phase 4 preview and it didn't exactly grab me. As much as I liked Endgame, it was a diminishing returns rehash of Infinity Wars. The Captain Marvel and Spiderman movies were okay but fairly rote, and on the DC side, Wonder Woman84 was fairly bland. I think if Marvel doesn't bring something new to the table, Super Hero movies might be reaching their tipping point. I do think part of the problem has been getting 3-4 of these things every year. No matter how much you love something, you can get sick of it after awhile if you get too much. Hopefully all this time to woodshed will bring some renewed energy to the genre.

Deuce66 likes this.