NBC "Debris"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lonson, Feb 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

like many TV shows before, 'debris' suffers from a great initial idea that they have no idea where to go with it.

i doubt it gets renewed, but 'manifest' (the worst show, with the worst actors, ever written for TV) did so what do i do know?

and 'stumptown' a show with a bit if intelligence and darn good acting, gets cancelled

Vidiot, GLUDFSSR, jpelg and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Agreed. Debris is a very original concept and different approach to alien invasion. It at least got me to start seeing this progress into explaining human origination and evolution.
    But it needs to start moving forward and get out of the espionage and world domination revolution BS.

It's interesting that smart aliens with this level of technology would suddenly crash just outside Earth's atmosphere. It seems intentional, planned.

All these questions and POV I'm coming up with but I'm not sure the writers have even a clue on how to make this show interesting. Piss or get off the pot! Will ya'?!

rjp and rockclassics like this.
  3. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I think Manifest has improved since Season 1 and they are now advancing the plotline nicely and seem to have a plan as to how things will eventually end.

However, I understand anyone who decided to give up on it long ago.

4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

My mind is jumbled full of debris from watching the show. I'm tempted to quit it. I'm having a hard time imagining there will be a season 2 coming out of all this confusion.

McLover likes this.
  5. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Just caught up with the most-recent two episodes.

Finola's (Riann Steele) scene confronting her father George in the motel room (episode 8, "Spaceman") is an amazing piece of acting.
    She is the heart of the show. I would watch her in anything now.

marmalade166 likes this.
  6. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

To me it was a blatant copy of HBO's Westworld theme. Turned me off from the show from the first moment I heard it.

I'm still watching, but don't think its very good at all.

7. Rachael Bee

This week's episode made more sense than any previous episode to me. George is dead. George is not dead. George is dead. George is not dead and on and on. The partners are together and then not and so on back and forth.

rockclassics and Blair G. like this.
  8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Just watched this weeks episode and the above is a perfect and accurate synopsis. I can only add ..... Oh my god, the entire universe is going to collapse.

I can’t believe they spent two episodes trying to get one scene right. :winkgrin:

Rachael Bee and Blair G. like this.
  9. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

That last episode reminded me of Groundhog Day

Vidiot and Rachael Bee like this.
  10. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I agree they might have done one or two scenarios more than they should have before it got tiring.

The final resolution was a bit disappointing. I mean, they set up this premise of the debris knowing what they each really wanted, so it was about each character searching for understanding themselves to effect a solution to get back to each other. Instead, they miraculously synchronized watches across separate realities & somehow "traveled" at exactly the same time (finally!). In the end, the leads didn't remember what it was they were supposed to learn throughout all of it. No new understanding. Again, disappointing.

Tim Lookingbill and Vidiot like this.
  11. Episode 12 actually went to the "reverse the polarity" trope. Disappointing. Even if it should have been meant ‚ironically'.

ajax25 likes this.
  12. Rachael Bee

It might help to take LSD to try and make much sense out of this show...? :doh:

Vidiot likes this.
  13. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

After reading that, Tenet is now making more sense. I watched the episode you just described and I don't see how I could have ever kept up. I'm now wondering if we both watched the same episode.

What are they teaching screenwriters today on how to effectively tell a story or even come up with an original plot? Is there some kind of trend going on in film schools that movies and TV series plots have to be this complicated?

14. And how is Debris a blatant copy of Westworld? One is about sentient robots the other….about alien debris that alters humans.

15. Yes.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

NBC has not yet announced the show's renewal, but it's not cancelled yet, either. It's kind of a Schrodenginer's Cat series.

God help me, we watch both Manifest and Debris, and I've complained that it would save a lot of time if NBC and Universal would just combine them into a single bad show that I got sucked into watching. You figure we could write a crossover plot where it turns out the alien spaceship debris is what shot the Manifest airplane passengers five years into the future, and that's how that whole thing happened in the first place.

Ramin Djawadi did the music for Westworld, and Raney Shockne did the music for Debris... but I agree 100% that the main title themes are extremely similar, and they have a similar visual look and style.

Rachael Bee likes this.
  17. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Not the show, the opening theme. My comment was in response to saying the theme music sounded like Vangelis. I even wrote "theme" in my comment.

Try to keep up.

wayneklein likes this.
  18. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Don’t give them any ideas. These two are bad enough individually. I can’t imagine a crossover or combined show. Unwatchable. Both of these shows need to be put out of their misery....just shoot them. It is the humane thing to do.

Vidiot likes this.
  19. No need to be rude. ‘Theme’ could also relate to the theme of the show. Yes you mentioned ‘heard it’ but for all I know you might have meant ‘heard of it’ given how people don’t often communicate in complete sentences. The last bit in your comment was kind of uncalled for.

Rachael Bee likes this.
  20. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Well, I would agree about Debris, but Manifest is getting much better, especially with the current Noah's Ark evidence.

21. Rachael Bee

I'm not so sure that debris has any discernable theme.... :confused:

wayneklein and rockclassics like this.
  22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Sometimes I wonder what people expect out of network TV! I'm enjoying this show. It is slowly unfolding in a confusing fashion. Imagine being one of these characters seeking out and attempting to make sense of the alien debris and all these bizaare occurrances! Confusing would likely be the tone of you best day. . . .

DPM and Rachael Bee like this.
  23. Rachael Bee

OK, the theme is confusing. I've watched many of the episodes twice trying to stich sense together out of patches of confusing.

24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Personally I understand enough to get why things are confusing and to enjoy the show. Little bits are coming together (literally at times, as in the last episode). It has the "Fringe" vibe I've been missing--including the brilliant odd scientist father.

25. Rachael Bee

I have too but I figure when this season ends, that'll be it, canceled, finito.

rockclassics likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.