Can anyone help me finish solving the most complicated movie in history?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dissidence, Mar 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Thanks to this thread, I just watched Triangle and while it had effective moments, I can't say that I was invested enough in any of it to bother about trying to figure out what exactly was going on. When a puzzle is too dense and requires diagrams and spreadsheets to sort out, I'm just not interested. This is a movie, not a Mensa quiz. That's fine, though, because if it works on the surface level, I can be entertained. This did that to a point, but what I think what ultimately killed it for me is that the central character turns out to be

an abusive mother

Once this becomes clear, right toward the end, I lost all sympathy for her and felt the rug had been pulled out from under me, and not in a good way. I don't think the film plays fair by withholding this information, and it sacrifices character in favor of creating a dense puzzle.

There's also a LOT of green screen in this movie, and it's pretty obvious and distracting green screen.

I wish I liked this more, but I'm afraid it just left me with a bad taste.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  2. Dissidence

Dissidence Human Thread Starter

Tenet is just modern 12 Monkeys.

3. Dissidence

She is an antihero or not.

Because
    we don't know if this was just the first nervous breakdown of a woman raising an autistic child on her own

And in my opinion, the director achieved the impossible by simplifying until entertainment the most indecipherable enigma in the history of cinema.

It's not a blockbuster, but great actors and especially the director's genius make your day.

The Magical Mirror Trick (without CGI)

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  4. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I've seen some of these but not Triangle unfortunately. I'll have to check it out. I think the sleeper might be Coherence. I thought that was a pretty tight movie all around and I didn't expect much.

5. Juan Matus

12 Monkeys was a really good film one of my favorites, Tenet was just ok. Tried too hard to be slick and novel but ended up just being too clever by half imo.

6. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Seriously, Fight Club made the list?
    It's a great film, based on a well written book, but 'mind-bending'?
    I would go with Alejandro Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain, for openers.

7. Dissidence

Coherence :righton:
    meeting in the street by night ;)

Juan Matus likes this.
  8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It was a actually a story told in linear time about 3 distinct pincer-movement missions where the characters go through the movement each way to save the world from someone with access to inverted material from the future.

Chris DeVoe and Juan Matus like this.
  9. Juan Matus

Do they ever say how far in the future they created the inverted technology? If it's a long time I still don't understand how they go that far back as you would need a lot of coordination presumably with oxygen and food etc. I understand how they can easily send objects back but not people. I was sort of half asleep while watching it so I might have missed that part. And also it seems there was no limit to the amount of times you could invert and travel back so would you basically have to do this forever in order to protect the future? Some aspects kind of didn't make sense to me.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  10. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

If I'ld been a lead actor asked to come on board hearing that plot line pitch, I'ld have to have it diagrammed so much it wouldn't fit on a wall sized storyboard. Certainly no room and time for character development that would draw in a theater patron to go along for the ride. Took me 30 minutes in to realize that before I walked out of the theater.

Juan Matus likes this.
  11. Juan Matus

Some directors don't even tell the actors what's going on. Not sure how he did this one. I get why there is no character development but the motivations of some of the characters are a bit flimsy to me.

vegafleet likes this.
  12. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Prestige.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  13. Solaris

Nope,
    you hit a child in a movie, you lose the sympathy of the audience.

It lost me and I started to feel angry that I'd wasted the time to get to that point, having that information withheld from me.

I agree that Coherence is the film to watch. I found that one very satisfying.

Juan Matus likes this.
  14. Solaris

That's how I felt about Triangle. The inconsistencies in characterization finally made it impossible for me to root for the lead here. Either you enjoy this for being a puzzle, like the OP, or you walk away frustrated.

Scowl and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  15. Dissidence

:)

The audience, me included, have no sympathy for her. This is like Starship Troopers where humans are the real villians. Why do you absolutely want a hero, sympathy?

I do however agree with you regarding Coherence! :righton:

16. Juan Matus

Agree that one really drew me in. I found out there was actually no script.

"... instead of having a script, each actor was given a page of notes each day with their back story or sort of motivation for the night. But they wouldn't know what the other actors had received so it had a very natural, very spontaneous collision of motivations that ended up being what you see on film; obviously guided by a very strict outline that we have been working on for about a year that tracked all the clues and the puzzles and all the rehearsals and things like that. But the actors weren't aware of those, those things happened because we were sort of guiding them through it."

17. ScorpSik

ScorpSik Well-Known Member

Triangle is one of my favourite films. I adore that Jess was extremely flawed and it took....the sequence of events... for her to realise that she was
    an abusive mother
    and would spend eternity trying, and failing,to make that right.

Strat-Mangler and Dissidence like this.
  18. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

Tenet was apparently good enough that Elevenet is now in preproduction.

(That said, I still have yet to see Onet through Ninet.)

ScorpSik and Juan Matus like this.
  19. Juan Matus

Is that the one where they invent a devise to drastically speed up entropy and you just stare at a blank screen for 2 hours?

20. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

i think so—that’s the only film I bought a ticket for that I still didn’t see!

21. Dissidence

Finally, one more admirer of the gigantic work done by the director, a work that almost drove him crazy!

No more Tenet please, this is just a cosmetic albeit grandiose 12 monkeys update.

In Triangle, time no longer even exists. No more entropy, nothing that human consciousness can grasp.
    The audience only subconsciously understand what is going on ...

In short, this is the real masterpiece imo when it comes to insoluble loops.

Strat-Mangler and ScorpSik like this.
  22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Very clever, but those titles aren't palindromes and therefore won't pay off the pincer concept.

23. Dissidence

And about Triangle?

:mad:

lol

24. YarRevenge

YarRevenge Forum Resident

I dont like this kind of movie, I want to have fun watching a movie not director's mental crap.

25. Dissidence

And the absolute masterpieces Los cronocrímenes by Nacho Vigalondo, El cuerpo and Durante la tormenta by Oriol Paulo from your very own great country?

These movies are even more fun mental craps than Triangle.

My dentist is Spanish but works in France. I often speak with him before or after my checkups about his country.

I love Spain. And Spanish Cinema is actually the best in Europe since 10 years. We agree on that ...

Maybe you would like these movies?

:)

unclefred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.