The Music Of Miami Vice - Episode By Episode

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, May 3, 2021.

1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

I can't find a clearer clip of this, but PMT looks absolutely miserable as a passenger on the speedboat. The way his head jerks as it hits the waves :laugh: I'd love to find an interview where he talks about this scene. (around the 1:30 mark). I swear you can almost read his lips saying 'damn' as the boat slams the water

blastfurniss and Mal like this.
  2. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

Not sure when the song was played but I still remember Sledgehammer as a memorable moment in Miami Vice. The show was on Saturdays here in Belgium. We first had to watch MV and after that we headed to the pub.

3. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

What's wrong with the Noog Man?? :) Noogie was such an idiot it was hard to buy into the character. Too much of a clown. Izzy Moreno was much more effective in terms of comic relief. Izzy sort of reminded me as a more pathetic version of Fredo Corleone.

Mark J likes this.
  4. Gabba Gabba

Gabba Gabba Forum Resident

Supposedly they are trying to bring the show back in mini-series format and have a bunch of stuff filmed. Covid hit and delayed things and I'm not sure what is happening now. There are a bunch of teaser videos on YouTube with a lot of the cast reprising their roles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoqPZRjBl0w

5. blastfurniss

WKRP in Cincinnati is the only pre-Miami Vice show that I recall that licensed a lot of music. Unfortunately, unlike Miami Vice, the music licensing issues faced by WKRP have really ruined it in syndication and home video. You watch Miami Vice on Starz or Blu Ray today you're going to hear what was played when the show aired. Couldn't imagine Crockett cruising around to a generic version of In the Air Tonight.

Mark J, Doggiedogma and David Pietras like this.
  6. blastfurniss

That's a fan made trailer. Vin Diesel was wanting to do a TV reboot and Don Johnson said he'd be willing to make an appearance but all is quiet on that front. While you could certainly do a reboot like JJ Abrams 2009 Star Trek with new actors playing Crockett and Tubbs it would be impossible to capture the cultural zeitgeist the way the original Miami Vice did. We're all used to the marriage of film and music now.

thnkgreen likes this.
  7. blastfurniss

Funny that this thread started up. I'm half way thru a long overdue revisit of the series. Amazing to see how many future stars made appearances on the show. For sure there's a drop in quality starting in season 3 but it wasn't all bad. The music veers more toward hard rock as the show goes on but it's also a reflection of what people were listening to and buying at the time. When I hear songs like In the Air Tonight or Godley & Creme's Cry I can't help but associate them with the scenes featuring them in Miami Vice. Heck, I'll admit to blasting Honeymoon Suite's Bad Attitude from the series finale while cruising a little too fast on the highway.

8. David Pietras

David Pietras Forum Resident

HUGE favorite of mine! THANK YOU! I have a beat up old vinyl soundtrack from the series, and my love of Miami Vice is the reason GTA Vice City is my favorite from that game series (which, coincidentally also has a fantastic soundtrack)

andrewskyDE likes this.
  9. Great thread for a great television series.

10. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Two very unusual feature of Miami Vice:

The original music versions, which no other TV show would really pay for. Witness the fake versions of everything on Knight Rider.

The second very unusual feature is that they used cinematic grade film as opposed to video tape typical for TV series. It has that graininess that makes the shots seem so much more dramatic.

blastfurniss and thnkgreen like this.
  11. thnkgreen

Noogie's character was just too.... animated? Not believable at all, IMO... he seemed like someone playing a part.

blastfurniss likes this.
  12. thnkgreen

Are you sure this is legit? The first time I saw it I thought this was made by a fan of the show. It would be great if they do make a comeback.

13. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Didn't see Glenn Frey mentioned yet. He wrote two monster hits used on the show; Smuggler's Blues (Season 1) and You Belong To The City (Season 2). Glenn also guest-starred in the Smuggler's Blues episode of the same name.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  14. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Cool - I was like "I've heard this before. Didn't KISS do this? Ace Frehley"

Lee Davis and thnkgreen like this.
  15. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

So awesome - Russ was a song guru!

16. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

From IMDb: "Crockett and Tubbs must enlist the help of an unreliable petty thief to bust a drug operation run by a trio of homicidal Jamaicans."

thnkgreen likes this.
  17. thnkgreen

18. thnkgreen

Doggiedogma likes this.
  19. thnkgreen

musicnonstop and Rupe33 like this.
  20. thnkgreen

21. thnkgreen

Another great episode from season 1, the fifth installment features fantastic performances by Russ Ballard, Joe Cocker and (of course) the classic 'What's Love Got To Do With It' by Tina Turner. I really enjoyed the show too, as Tubbs goes after boss Calderone trying to avenge the death of his brother while Tubbs was in New York. Highly recommend this one.

Mark J and David Pietras like this.
  22. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Very good points. WKRP had Miami Vice beat by around 6 years. WKRP played some very cool new music on the show
    at the time. Miami Vice just wasn’t my cup of meat. And the fashion it inspired... yikes.
    Hahaha.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The WKRP issues were resolved several years ago when Shout! Factory reissued all four seasons with 99% of the originally broadcast music intact. Good call by the way, totally forgot about WKRP and its music licensing that predated Miami Vice. Miami Vice, of course, took it to another level with the way it incorporated the music into its scenes, whereas WKRP typically played short snippets of songs, usually associated with the DJs finishing or starting a record.

blastfurniss likes this.
  24. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Man, that was a big thing for people in Hammer's home country. "See, what we can do, if you ...(insert a suitable expression for the local goverment and their Russian lords) don't keep us here." Yes, it was strictly commercial, but for the regime it was impossible to hide the existence of tune thanks to its success. It was simply a success of our man America. :D

Mark J likes this.
  25. thnkgreen

Season 1 - Episode 6 - "One Eyed Jack"

Honeymoon Suite - New Girl Now

impalaboy, Doggiedogma and Rupe33 like this.