SL-1500C tonearm shape defective?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by woodpigeon, Feb 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey @aunitedlemon — so the damper is installed, just spinning some records with it. Starting with the Quintet Black. I think you’re right that it tidies things up, sonically. This is the first time I’ve sat and thought my vinyl setup honestly sounds better than a lossless digital file.

aunitedlemon and Oelewapper like this.
  2. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Glad to hear you agree. Install went pretty easy, yeah? I hear what you're saying about the sound quality compared to lossless digital. I'm impressed with how quiet and expansive a lot of my records sound. I played a record for a friend quite a while back who kept exclaiming "This is a record?!" He had no idea there were records that don't pop click or skip.

woodpigeon and The FRiNgE like this.
  3. woodpigeon

An update. I’ve finally convinced Technics to take a look at the table in person, so need to send it off to them.

I’ll be without a turntable for a while... perhaps this is an opportunity to upgrade.

Ham Sandwich and aunitedlemon like this.
  4. woodpigeon

Yeah the install was easy! I get the same reaction from friends who didn’t realise what a record could sound like. Great fun.

The FRiNgE and aunitedlemon like this.
  5. aunitedlemon

I'm curious to hear what Technics has to say, and how their customer service is for you. Keep us posted as things develop?

woodpigeon likes this.
  6. woodpigeon

There’s a long email chain, and a lot of photos and measurements! I will update here how it goes.

I’m a bit nervous about shipping it back without the original packaging, so have asked the retailer to ship it back so the liability for damage sits with them.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  7. woodpigeon

Meanwhile, thinking about grabbing a second table to use while that one is repaired or replaced, it could be a long wait. Options:

- another 1500C (imagine if the tonearm is the same though…).
    - 1200GR.
    - Rega P6? Can be had for same price as 1500C here in NZ.

8. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

These days I wouldn't touch a P6, read the thread about the sagging plinth. If you want another Technics the 1200GR or look for something completely different in the second hand market so you don't loose much money and get the chance to try something different.

The FRiNgE and woodpigeon like this.
  9. woodpigeon

Can pick up a Sony PS-2250 for reasonable money but am slightly put off second hand vintage by the possibility of spending a lot of time chasing gremlins.

Sterling1 and The FRiNgE like this.
  10. woodpigeon

Ordered another 1500C, and will sell one of them once it’s sorted. It’s a nice table for a good price.

If the arm turns out to be the same on both, it will be an educational experience!

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  11. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

That's dependent on who may have worked on it, and did damage along the way. There's nothing worse than an incompetent "mechanically inclined" person without talent.. and speaking from experience when buying online. I've had great purchases from thrifts, as I see the device in original condition, and needing only cleaning and lubrication. In the right hands, refurb'd vintage will perform to spec and serve reliably. In bad hands, it's the opposite! Bad solderers are first on my hate list.... (many of them on You Tube) untold tube amps "molested" at the hands of the unqualified. Most of these people have a thorough understanding of electronics, but no skill in the hands.

Lots of luck in your search. :cool: But buying vintage does require knowing who worked on it, their qualifications and service record, and documentation of their work, a warranty!!!! Let's see the work!

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    woodpigeon and aunitedlemon like this.
  12. aunitedlemon

Well, I suppose we might share a common thread(!)- it took me ordering 2 of the 1500C's to wind up with the keeper I have now. My first one came w/ a platter that didn't spin flat enough for my dollar. I was working w/ a reputable online retailer (Crutchfield) who has a generous return policy and excellent customer service. After talking to them over the phone I decided to order a second 1500C. I'd be able to see if this was an isolated incident or repeated poor quality and mix-n-match between the two 1500C's (if that proved beneficial), or return both.
    The second unit I received is the one I have today. The platter spins appreciably flat and I've been enjoying it tremendously since that foray.
    Hopefully you get this all sorted before the 100C becomes available or you might have a harder time selling your 1500C. I think the 100C is going to be a win for Technics. If they can ship them w/ properly shaped tonearms and flat platters. ;)

patient_ot, woodpigeon and The FRiNgE like this.
  13. woodpigeon

Well, here’s hoping the new one has a flat platter as well, then. It’s in stock at a local shop so shouldn’t be hard to return if not.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  14. woodpigeon

A lot like purchasing a used car.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  15. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

If it is in the same shop you've bought the other one I will insist in checking it before hand, a good seller should understand why after the problems with the other. In regard of second hand TT's I had a lot and very rarely had a problem.

16. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

The possibilities here run the gamut of extreme satisfaction to extreme disappointment. If I sold my 46 year old Sony PS-4750 the buyer would be getting a turntable capable of delivering Technics SL-1210GR performance while enjoying the mint cosmetics of the vintage piece. [​IMG]

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  17. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

All the photos you posted are from too high an angle. Get further back from the deck and view the arm when you can only see the thickness of the record, ie. square on, not from above.

18. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

This was covered, parallax from camera position and lens distortion precludes appraisal by viewer

19. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I have a completely stock 2251 (same drive I believe) . Works flawlessly, a great table.

sberger likes this.
  20. woodpigeon

Well! The second turntable has arrived, and out of the box the range of VTA adjustment seems fine. Super. Now to get the first one fixed or replaced…

21. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I’d say replace or refund.
    Warranty is supposed to cover manufacturing errors.

woodpigeon likes this.
  22. woodpigeon

Yeah I’ll aim for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.