Made In Japan Deep Purple

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by astro8585, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Great version of Smoke on the Water though. Loved hearing it.

Buddybud and Mook like this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I was always intending to get this LP, but was sceptical because I'm not a huge fan of double live albums and long jams, but Mk 2 Purple were very special.

I've also recently picked up the first three Rainbow albums having not heard any of them before.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Buddybud, Score17 and Queezma like this.
  3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You were done, you could have had a new one for £3:25! :D

[​IMG]

My deepest sympathies! :winkgrin:

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Not on original vinyl in decent condition though. I will be picking up a cheap remastered CD for the extra stuff. I need Speed King!

Rainbow :laugh: They aren't that bad! Certainly not near Purple levels though.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The original vinyl was brand spanking new when MIJ went on sale for £3:25 in December 1972! What happened to it after that depended on the buyer, their Hi-Fi equipment, and the number of house parties they had!! :D

Rather than get the 2CD expanded MIJ, I would recommend getting the 3 CD Live In Japan:

https://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-Live-In-Japan/release/367675

and/or the 4CD Deluxe Edition:

https://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-Made-In-Japan/release/5729291

As I recall, you are only missing 1 or 2 numbers if you have MIJ and LIJ, but have them all with the Deluxe MIJ (in proper concert order if you get the download files!). While the setlist is mostly the same from night to night, the performances change and are well worth hearing.

I can remember my disappointment when first hearing the Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow album (and Stormbringer had already been a huge letdown). I saw Elf open for Purple back in the day, and the next thing you know Ritchie took them over. Sadly, the music was dire. It improved a little bit when Roger Glover joined, but still way too commercial for my taste. Do yourself a favor and stick with DP Mk. II. :)

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I see! The photo didn't come up. The copy I've got certainly has had a lot of play and really needed a clean, which is why it was cheap, but it played through far better than expected after that. I bought it just to hear it and fill in a gap, but it's a worthy of keeping. These records should have been played many times. It's not easy to find excellent condition early 70s rock albums now.

I couldn't anywhere near afford the 4 CD deluxe, but Live In Japan looks good.

7. Declan Quaile

Declan Quaile Forum Resident

Just to briefly reboot this thread and ask the following - which has probably been discussed elsewhere but can't find it. Was the opening 'false start' on Smoke on the Water deliberate or was Ritchie trying to cover a mistake on the initial riff? I've never been able to determine which!

8. tages

tages Senior Member

It’s absolute perfection.

Purple in ‘71 - ‘72 were SCARY good.

[​IMG]

Anthrax, RiRiIII, fishcane and 3 others like this.
  9. tages

tages Senior Member

It’s Blackmore’s sense of humour - no mistakes were made.

RiRiIII likes this.
  10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Ritchie was always messing around with the opening riff, on one of the other nights (in Japan) he plays it single string for a bit with a G drone underneath, and with Mk.III he started playing it a fourth down in D (or to put it another way in the same position but on a lower pair of strings) up until the organ joins in.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  11. Linus

Linus Senior Member

I’ve owned this album since it came out and for the last 20 or so years I think he’s covering a mistake.
    And he recovers very well indeed- a great save I must say.
    I like the MIJ version best of all. It’s the version I play when I pick up a guitar too.
    I think it’s in the Classic Album Machinehead DVD where Roger says Richie often had trouble with the riff.

12. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

One of the best live rock albums ever imo. The opening with Highway Star is unparalleled in rock history as far as album openers go. One of my favorite moments on the album is Richie in the middle of "Lazy" starting to play Hugo Alfvén's Swedish Rhapsody No. 1 "Midsommarvaka" LOL. The DCC is the best sounding version on CD imo. The expanded release with the encores is brickwalled and suffers from some serious clipping unfortunately.

13. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Roger's playing around, just like Ritchie was.

tages likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.