The Music Of Miami Vice - Episode By Episode

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, May 3, 2021.

1. They kind of did do that movie reboot which went over like a lead balloon.

blastfurniss likes this.
  2. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

Season 1 - Episode 6 - "One Eyed Jack"

Papo Cadena - La Vecinita. (I couldn't find this one on YouTube... only a clip from the show with the song in the background)

3. thnkgreen

Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight

Stormrider77 and Vic_1957 like this.
  4. thnkgreen

The Pointer Sisters - Jump (For My Love)

5. thnkgreen

.... according to Wikipedia ....

"The film was shot on location in the Caribbean, Uruguay, Paraguay (Ciudad del Este), and South Florida. Uruguay locations included the seaside resort Atlántida standing in for Havana, the old building of the Carrasco International Airport, and the Rambla waterfront avenue and the Old City in Montevideo. Seven days of filming were lost to hurricanes Katrina, Rita, and Wilma. The delays led to a budget of what some insiders claimed to be over $150 million, though Universal Pictures says it cost $135 million. Several crew members criticized Michael Mann's decisions during production, which featured sudden script changes, filming in unsafe weather conditions, and choosing locations that "even the police avoid, drafting gang members to work as security".

Jamie Foxx was also characterized as unpleasant to work with. He refused to fly commercially, forcing Universal to give him a private jet. He also wouldn't participate in scenes on boats or planes. After gunshots were fired on set in the Dominican Republic on October 24, 2005, Foxx packed up and refused to return; this forced Mann to re-write the film's ending, which some crew members characterized as less dramatic than the original. Foxx, who won an Academy Award after signing to do Miami Vice, was also reputed to complain about co-star Colin Farrell's larger salary, which Foxx felt didn't reflect his new status as an Oscar winner; consequently, reports Slate: "Foxx got a big raise while Farrell took a bit of a cut." Slate also reported that Foxx demanded top billing after winning an Oscar.

Mann wanted a film that was as real as it was stylish and even put Farrell in jeopardy by bringing him along (with real FBI drug squads) to drug busts so the actor could build up the character of Crockett even more. It was later revealed that Mann faked these busts.

Sal Magluta, the drug trafficker identified by Tubbs as running go-fast boats in the film's opening scenes, is in fact one of Miami's real-life reputed "Cocaine Cowboys" and is currently serving a life sentence for money laundering."

"On the film-review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, Miami Vice holds a 47% approval rating based on 223 reviews, with an average rating of 5.55/10. The website's critical consensus reads: "Miami Vice is beautifully shot but the lead characters lack the charisma of their TV series counterparts, and the underdeveloped story is well below the standards of Michael Mann's better films." On Metacritic it holds a 65, representing "generally favorable reviews"

wayneklein likes this.
  6. Not surprised. Fox. Is talented but I’m not a fan.

7. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Yep, it was from his second solo album Frehley’s Comet and was a minor chart hit.

I’ve thought about watching this on Hulu since I missed most of it the first time around in the 80s. It must have shown on the weekend or something. Anyway thanks to this thread, now I really want to watch it and hear all the great music!

Doggiedogma likes this.
  8. oldtinears

oldtinears Forum Resident

Hey, Thnkgreen, thanks so much for starting this thread! MV helped define the '80s for a lot of us - everyone at my office was a huge fan and Monday mornings couldn't get under way until we'd dissected the previous Friday's show. I remember when music by Kate Bush showed up in an episode, one of the best in my opinion. And hopefully you'll be pointing out all the music stars who made on-camera appearances. Looking forward to new posts.

thnkgreen likes this.
  9. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Miami Vice was like one big MTV music video. :laugh:

Doggiedogma likes this.
  10. thnkgreen

Here ya go!

:wave:

List of Guest Stars

(I really liked Miles Davis’ appearance in Season 2)

Vic_1957 and oldtinears like this.
  11. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Oh what a fantastic idea for a thread! I missed it until just now.

EG.

12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

For me, MV was just finding its feet early on, in terms of song choices. It seemed more random, and not 80s-centric, at the start. Perhaps determined by budget and storylines.

When I've read up on each episode after (re)watching the DVDs since last year (as part of creating a mammoth Miami Vice CD set), it seems the area experienced a major gentrification just around the time of the series hitting its peak. A lot of the locations have been pulled down or replaced with something slicker. It was quite a rundown sleazy-looking place in 1984 (wikipedia's words not mine!).

EG.

thnkgreen likes this.
  13. thnkgreen

You might like this...

Eric_Generic likes this.
  14. thnkgreen

15. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

This is what I've been working on for a year or so. Not watching the DVDs lately has delayed much progress through. I like to see the episodes as well as put together the relevant tracklisting, because sometimes a song isn't especially key to the program and I don't want to just include everything because it would run to about 12 discs!

EG.

edenofflowers likes this.
  16. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Agreed but the Miami Vice film has been reevaluated and seems to be more appreciated now. The “making of” stories about the film are quite interesting and much of the blame for its failure can be blamed on Jamie Foxx walking off the set before the ending was filmed which forced Michael Mann to scramble to finish it.

On the bright side, they didn’t turn it into a comedy like most movie adaptations of TV shows.

thnkgreen likes this.
  17. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

It's moments like this that make me miss the series.

Darryl

thnkgreen likes this.
  18. oldtinears

oldtinears Forum Resident

19. thnkgreen

Season 1 - Episode 7 - "No Exit"

Teddy Pendergrass - Stay With Me

20. thnkgreen

Season 1 - Episode 7 - "No Exit"

Phil Collins - I Don't Care Anymore

Stormrider77 and Rupe33 like this.
  21. thnkgreen

Only two tracks for season 1 episode 7, but both used to great effect. The irony of Teddy Pendergrass' 'Stay With Me' is not lost as an abusive Bruce Willis rapes his wife (who gets her revenge, don't worry). Another fantastic episode! No wonder this show as such a hit.

22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

That was Bruce Willis pre-Moonlighting wasn't it! Was strange to see him in something else when I eventually saw this on DVD...I always used to think he came out of nowhere with Moonlighting.

EG.

thnkgreen likes this.
  23. thnkgreen

Yes pre-Moonlighting, and playing a villain no less :agree:

Eric_Generic likes this.
  24. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Did you forget that Elvis appeared in the Pilot also?

No, not that Elvis, this one :D (goto 2:20 if it doesn't cue up to that timestamp):

Eric_Generic likes this.
  25. musicnonstop

musicnonstop Kling Klang Kwatsch Kommentator

Same here! :righton:

In another thread running on this forum, users were being asked "what songs immediately bring back fond memories of Miami Vice", resulting in lots of associations, with 'In The Air Tonight' being a clear favorite out of the 368 different songs that were used in the 110 episodes.

blastfurniss and Eric_Generic like this.