Jim Morrison (The Doors) - where does he stand lyrically?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RoughAndRowdyWays, May 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoughAndRowdyWays

RoughAndRowdyWays I'm an instant star. Just add water and stir. Thread Starter

I've seen people say he was a great poet. A poet that happened to be a rock god, that kind of statement.

Songs like 'The Crystal Ship' have that kooky kind of structure and words, psychedelic barroom sorta music. etcetera, etc.

Where in your opinion do his lyrics and words stand? Is Jim Morrison a poet?

joy stinson, D-rock and Crimson Witch like this.
  2. ooan

ooan Forum Resident

Horse Latitudes

Texas Radio and the Big Beat

tedg65, Sean, steviebee and 1 other person like this.
  3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I’m not sure he was as great as he thought he was… but he’s miles ahead of most lyricists.

4. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

"Is Jim Morrison a poet?"

Yes, Jim Morrison was a poet.

What does the OP think?

5. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

I think he is a highly effective lyricist. His lyrics are more interesting than the vast majority of lyricists. Some say he is pretentious or sophomoric, which may be true at times, but in total he brought a lot to the table.

He wrote poems, which he published, so by definition, he is a poet. I can't see why that is debated.

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Was Jim Morrison a poet? Yes, he was a self-professed poet, but that doesn't mean he was a good poet. That said, he clearly had talent as a wordsmith, and several of his writings were effectively implemented as interesting lyrical passages. To be fair, he had a passion for writing, and by many accounts, worked hard at it. But I don't thank anyone outside of Doors fandom would ever assert he was genuine, high level poet.

7. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

What I like a lot about Jim's lyrics is that he manages to conjure up images in my mind that are often weird and wonderful, a bit in a similar way to what Jon Anderson does. What it all means is less interesting to me than what I get to see in my mind by listening to it. One example:

Lost in a Roman wilderness of pain
    And all the children are insane
    Waiting for the summer rain

What is means exactly I really don't know and I don't care, but even as I write this, these words evoke all kind of imagery in my head. A blood drenched Roman circus, children standing naked in a forest staring at the sky, a tropical storm crashing down...

And no, I didn't partake in anything

dirie, Jonny W, TongueDruid and 21 others like this.
  8. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Great post - Jim's imagery is powerful - pearls before swine - generally shot down by folks who won't or can't take the journey. Funny how if you say anything creative these days you have to explain that you aren't on drugs.

Jonny W, joy stinson, Sean and 9 others like this.
  9. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Yes, from my objective opinion. He thought he was, so he was. Webster’s concurs.

Definition of poet

1: one who writes poetry : a maker of verses
    2: one (such as a creative artist) of great imaginative and expressive capabilities and special sensitivity to the medium

joy stinson, D-rock, 2141 and 3 others like this.
  10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I think people get overexcited about the term poet....
    I think people can get over excited about meanings and words too.

Morrison was a poet of his own fashion.
    I think he was the perfect lyricist for the Doors. His words paint images in the same way the band's music does.
    He creates interesting imagery, that if one allows themselves to go with it, works really very well.
    He could get carried away with himself sometimes, and it seems like he could be obsessive on occasion, but he was great at creating imagery, and I think that's what he was aiming for, so, yea good poet/lyricist.

11. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

that would be a fun question to send into "ask croz"

12. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

he's no Bob Dylan ... and he really didn't age long enough to accrue wisdom and insight... he fell into being a rock star and then was gone. All in all, he had that kind of way with words one can muster fresh out of college with a heady dose of Rimbaud and Beat infusion that can seed rebellion and chaos. I dig what he contributed in the short life he was given.

TGH7, joy stinson, No Bull and 11 others like this.
  13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It would have been really interesting to see where he went if he had had a chance to grow out of the rockstar thing, and get a few more years under his belt.

14. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Cue the "drunken buffoon who wrote high school level poetry" comments. :shrug:

The guy was capable of writing incredible lyrics. I started listening to The Doors when I was 13. I'm almost 54 now and have yet to "outgrow" his stuff. He was genuine, and was a very intelligent individual. As I've said before, to any of his detractors here, if you ever had an intellectual conversation with the guy he would probably have buried you :righton:

joy stinson, renounce, Sean and 12 others like this.
  15. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Well, the music is your special friend. But the words are pretty good too.

Zack, joy stinson, Buddybud and 2 others like this.
  16. hophedd

hophedd Forum Resident

An American Prayer was hilarious when I was a teen, but now is kind of embarrassing, in spots. In his defense, Jim had nothing to do with that album, obviously. And some Doors tunes could bore, like The End. But the man knew how to turn a phrase, and moved popular music/rock lyrics to adult/sophomoric, from infantile ("My boyfriend's back, and you're gonna be in trouble...'). He was part of a larger social movement, anyway. Country Joe said F-U-C-K, too.

I'm grateful that he could come up with brief lines like "penetrate the evening that the city sleeps to hide," rather than copy Dylan's often-cryptic stanza orgies.

17. hophedd

hophedd Forum Resident

And how do you know the moon isn't a dried blood beast?

18. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

For the most part, his best lyrics were on the first two albums.

Some of Jim's non-lyrical writing had good imagery and meter to it. I imagine if he had lived at least another 10-20 years that he could have written some well remembered poetry that would have been discussed widely in modern poetry classes.

19. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

I've always enjoyed his lyrics. They were interesting and they fit the songs. He told stories, he set moods, he sounded good. That's all I need. He's in my top 10 favorite lyricist.

20. hophedd

hophedd Forum Resident

Many accuse him of pretentiousness, but I'd say precocious is a more fair term. The guy never even owned a house.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    joy stinson, Smiler, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  21. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

He was a great lyricist in his own unique way.

joy stinson likes this.
  22. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

:confused:

23. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

That's what I'm saying, the guy was genuine. He wasn't faking anything.

24. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

He had a great sense of imagery and knew how to sell it with his voice.

25. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

When he's good, he's really good, when he's bad he's "An actor out on loan." ;)

pinkrudy, TGH7, 7solqs4iago and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.