The greatest consumer cassette tape deck ever produced?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cowboy Kim, Feb 3, 2017.

1. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Your Type 2 stash? is it guarded by a dragon?
    Look into finding an old restored Super VHS deck. You will fall I love with the AFM sound.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  2. john morris

Hey.....I'm serious. :yikes:

3. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

I just recorded the same album on a Maxell XL-II.. The result is terrible. Its not the tape is terrible. Its me...:doh:
    My settings are all wrong and I'm using the wrong recorder too.

john morris likes this.
  4. Classic Car Guy

John,
    I know it sounds good maybe better. Its not easy to store the VHS. Too big. I have a box full recorded and blanks. I couldn't pick it up.. Feels like the box is welded to the ground..:wtf:

john morris likes this.
  5. john morris

The million dollar SSL 4098 G / G+ fully automated 120 channel mixing board from the late 1980's stored it's automation data on 3.5 inch floppy disks. You can find one used in good condition for $250 000 USD.

The idea was that you had two Sony 3348's hooked up or 4 analog 24 track recorders. Ahhhh, the 80's. A Sony 3348 was $250 000 USD each.

McLover and Classic Car Guy like this.
  6. john morris

Funny. The Maxwell XL 2 Is one of the best and most reliable tapes ever made. When they were making them the tape was good. Sitting around for 10 years however.....

McLover likes this.
  7. john morris

Details.....

8. Classic Car Guy

you know there are old CD players that has this PCM 1-bit processor converter that's a match made in heaven in 16/44.1 . you can actually build that pcm56 using the original texas instrument chip that somewhere Philips bought it in the mid 90's. I know because my old home player has that built in processor inside and it sounds very warm and high fidelity.
    This new chip that I'm using is very close to it. The transformation to a better analog recorder gets it more closer to the real thing.

9. Classic Car Guy

I mean storage wise..

10. Classic Car Guy

When I recorded the DeBarge it was the same Maxell XL-II but I was using a pioneer 3 head recorder. That was 1987 and it still sounds like it was just recorded yesterday.

11. Classic Car Guy

No Seriously John, when you go to the northwest.. come by my house and youre more than welcome. Just don't bring any dogs... LoL..
    You know the song? "Who Let the Dogs In.."
    Seriously, we'll do some serious recordings and well go to the beach and depoe bay whale watch.

john morris likes this.
  12. Classic Car Guy

Wow.... didn't even know that. How good is it comparing to the original '72 Neve 8028 mixing board? The one that started the "british EQ" ?
    I believe it was $75,000.00 new in 1972.

13. Classic Car Guy

John.. This is my next machine. I gotta sell a few guitars to support this....

[​IMG]

john morris likes this.
  14. Classic Car Guy

I just bought some more TDK high output. The guy gave me a deal. He actually live here in my area. I bought 75 from him about 2 weeks ago. Now I'm cleaning him up which is the whole pile of 400+

15. Classic Car Guy

I need a good deck router. I wanna get a true connection and bypass (non powered). As far as I remember DXB use to make those back in the 80's.

16. john morris

Mmmmm......Interesting. 1 bit PCM. Yea, I remember. But they really didn't sound any better. But each to his own cookie flavour.

17. john morris

What the - ! A deck router? You got me. I have no clue. Or perhaps what you need is a passive switcher. There is no active circuitry or a amplifiers to affect the sound of your tape machines.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  18. john morris

Ahhhh no. That model is notorious for the frequency bump at 250 hz. And it had a reputation for blowing up in the middle of sessions. Do you want to burn down your house?

Just kidding.......

Great choice. Get a head report. :edthumbs:

19. john morris

You can get a brand new editing S-VHS HI-FI deck off of Amazon for $3000. Super VHS tapes for under $20 each.

20. Classic Car Guy

that's the one....
    What's your recommendation?

21. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

So you are responsible for rising cassette prices :)

john morris likes this.
  22. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Why would you want S-VHS for audio? The audio system is exactly the same between regular VHS HiFi and S-VHS. The difference between the two formats is video quality only.

In the early days of the VHS HiFi format there were some machines with dedicated audiophile functions, like separete RCA jacks for audio in and out, MPX filter, manual gain, and simulcast recording. I had such a model, the Panasonic NV-810. Apparently its NTSC equivalent was NV-880.

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. john morris

Mmmmm, a good question. The SSL 4000 series were all "transformerless." And the G class ones like the 4098 Class G, all had VCA chips in them. The faders could be moved via motors, but mutes, solo, effect sends etc had to be controlled by VCA chips. The best VCA chips today are pretty good but back in 1989 I wouldn't bet on it. Scary!.....
    The SSL 4000 series has a clean neutral sound. Some might call it "lifeless." Some people love the transformerless sound, others hate it. In fact it was the SSL transformerless boards that were responsible for the clean sound of the eighties.

The Neve 8028 is famous. Back then any large scale 24 channel board would have hundreds of transformers in them. This gave those old boards a sound MIB can never provide.

Unfortunately all those transformers contributed to added noise and distortion. Not noise and distortion you and I would hear as such. With those old designs the more channels you summed up, the more of a problem this could become. When you summed up 46 tracks 8 Aux sends, and 40 channels of Eq, etc, it would definitely push the board. What some call added chacter was in fact THD and IM. Those old boards had excellent noise figures for their day. 85 db of dynamic range. But if you wanted 100 db or more transformerless was the way to go.

Studios wanted a board that could handle the dynamic range of digital. If 85 db doesn't sound like a lot remember that back in 1972 the best 2 inch 16 track machine would yield 66 db signal to noise ratio 'A' weighted. Although Dolby A promised 10 - 15 db of signal to noise ratio it wasn't as simple as that.. A spec most companies didn't publish for their tape machines was the noise figure when their tape machine stopped. The famous Stephens 2 inch 40 track machine measured 70 db unweighted when stopped. As you can see 80 db for a board was most than enough. The dynamic range of most pop recordings from 1971 - 1986 is 68 to 72 db 'A' weighted. Many classical and Jazz recordings go way beyond that of course.

Personally I would go for a 8028.

But those SSL 4000 boards were amazing. Every other board had a patch pay. If you wanted to take the output of Aux 5 and run it through the EQ of Channel 20 and then the Eq of 23 you needed a patch Bay. But not with SSL 4098! You could send any signal to anywhere all by the touch of a button. You can't miss the automated Class G boards. They all have CRT monitors situated in the middle of the board.

24. john morris

The Super VHS sounds better. No switching noise at all. Even on the EP mode. The AFM on Pro Beta Cam also worked better.

anorak2 likes this.
  25. john morris

At 312 pounds (22 stone) (142 kg) I will be the whale being watched. Thanks for the offer.
    Unfortunately I am pretty sick.

Apparently my platelet count is 5300. On Monday my doctor told me I must go to the ER and get a platelet transfusion. I don't have the energy to drag myself of the Humber River. Maybe later. And I have Diabetes Type 2 and severely scratched cornea. This was all last week. With a count that low I can bleed in my brain and die. I think he exaggerated somewhat. I must have had this low count for months and I am still here. Although this might explain why I have no energy and sleep all day.

I would love to come. Unfortunately my medication requires that I go to the pharmacy every day. But I will find a way. Somehow.