Interesting All-in-One Ultrasonic Cleaner - HumminGuru

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Spivey, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Stuevts

Stuevts Not drinking the kool-aid

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

3. Stuevts

Stuevts Not drinking the kool-aid

Yes.
    Looks to be around $450 US shipped to me in California

Heckto35 likes this.
  4. Newguy444

Newguy444 Forum Resident

So is this going to be comparable to the degritter? price is certainly right. some of the badly translated english is off-putting...I mean i know they are in hong kong but it detracts from the professional image they want to convey to the overseas market. as long as it works well though i guess

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Heckto35 likes this.
  5. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I’d go for it. But after reading about so many expensive broken machines from other manufacturers...

candyflip69 likes this.
  6. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

And return to base for repairs on this means USA/AUS/EU-->Hong Kong, at your expense.
    Not wild about that either.

7. Newguy444

Newguy444 Forum Resident

Well, I think I'll be waiting until this unit is tested somewhere by someone. Seems a bit early to put money down for this yet. They are saying shipping in september, but who knows if that will hold. From reading their kickstarter page they are still doing injection molds and waiting on a stage 1 sample, whatever that means. Certainly doesn't sound like it's final yet.

8. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

So very interested but worry about replacing parts that will invariably wear out...

9. LGJ

LGJ Maybe Tomorrow, Maybe Tonight

Ordered one too and hope to report back happy somewhere on the fall :laugh:

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  10. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi!

As you are in The Netherlands:

How much was it including shipping, tax etc?

Have they specified a shipping day or is it still summer 2021?

Bye Andrea :wave:

11. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I REALLY don’t understand why anyone would spend $400-$500 on a Chinese machine that is entirely unproven and tested this far. Granted it’s a fraction of the competition (1/2 price of a Kirnuss, which is proven, and 1/7 the price of a Degritter) but it could very well be a piece of garbage.

You will also be feeding this thing your delicate vinyl records. They could be damaged by poor ultrasonic implementation, or by the mechanism, or even just a poorly designed opening.

I’d wait for these things to be out in the wild and tested.

Heckto35, Guss2, Benzion and 2 others like this.
  12. LGJ

LGJ Maybe Tomorrow, Maybe Tonight

Don't know yet what shipping costs and tax are going to be.
    I'd figure it's going to be an additional 150 euro, something like that.

@Drew769 , yeah, it's a bit of a gamble... :winkgrin:

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  13. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Been using one for 10+ years. Generic Chinese unit I got new for about $200. Best recording cleaning results ever. A permanent fixture in my cleaning regimen which basically is:

1. Ultra-sonic bath in purified water and my 'special mix' of cleaning solutions
    2. Clean off the fluid from the Ultra-sonic unit in a Knosti Disco Antistat filled with purified water
    3. Vacuum that off on a VPI HW 16.5
    4. Air dry in a rack for at least half an hour

The most wonderful thing the ultra sonic can do is loosen a piece of grit -- something that made a click -- that you thought was a bit of unfixable damage and send it packing into nothingness. That in itself has made it worth it to me.

14. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

I agree Ultrasonics are wonderful.
    I disagree the cheap Chinese ones are good - in my experience, they are quite terrible.
    I've had 3; two from eBay, and they all broke down within 6 months of each other in normal once a week use, with zero recourse (ie. no guarantee or return on failure).

Never again, until absolutely proven first.

15. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. I guess I was lucky. Mine has seen a lot of use. Had it almost ten years I think.

candyflip69 likes this.
  16. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Same experience.

I've only had one (still got it) and it was amazing. However the solder on one of the transducers fell to bits closely followed by an other one less than a week later.

I got a 50% refund, so I'll either try re soldering them myself at some point or send it off for repair to a company I found in the UK.

Very good results while it worked though.

candyflip69 likes this.
  17. Newguy444

Newguy444 Forum Resident

obviously it's prudent to wait for reviews. if all goes well, we'll know soon enough how it performs. seems to be designed with a fair amount of care. cautiously optimistic

candyflip69 likes this.
  18. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I really want this to work as I have always wanted one.

I do have a question, are the concerns regarding ultrasonics destroying vinyl legit?

19. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Do you think they will hide razer blades in the tank or something? Theres not really much that can be harmful in an ultrasonic excepect overheating.

20. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Getting the drive to spin the disc from the edges perfectly while not allowing the face of the disc to impact anything is a more difficult than you might think. The Audio Desk has (had?) some issues with that if the disc isn’t seated perfectly.

21. mannye

mannye Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned about it being vaporware. Either that or something that doesn't live up to the hype. I'll wait for reviews of the actual unit.

22. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I don’t get it either. However, the world needs beta testers and I’m more than happy to let others take the risk

23. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I will wait a while to gather reviews as to performance/reliability. If all is well - I will get one. Price is reasonable.

24. Newguy444

Newguy444 Forum Resident

There's a May 28 update on their kickstarter page, but it's only accessible to backers. anyone know what the update says?

25. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

Well as much as I would love to add more kit to my setup, I fear that if this is successful the price will rise. Otherwise it will flame out like the Schiit Sol...(I don't know if they ever fixed their problems; but they do have more resources to deal with them.)