Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

@ThirdBowl

Onwards to Outside Lands 2011!!

This looks like a great straight-ahead-rock-show type of gig. That is fine by me (besides it being a festival setting).

Currently in the middle of this jazzy-yet-machine-gun-Trey Tweezer.

Great show so far! My "expectations" for this set are low, but that doesn't mean I expect poorness, just that I'm pretty sure I get what type of gig this is and that is totally cool by me :)

Energy out the wazoo tonight (as always - don't you get tired of me saying this? :p )

The Type I jamming is just terrific. There seems to be a little bit extra Rocket Sauce going on - things are just a tad more adventurous than the usual Type I, if that makes sense. Just lots of little moments that are making me perk my ears up and go "ooh, nice!"

And into Mound we go.

Thoroughly enjoying this first set. Had a crazy hard day un-bricking a driveway and then cleaning said pile of 400 bricks. Sometimes its nice to have a straightforward show that doesn't require a lot of thinking to go along with it :D

2. warewolf95

8/12/11 San Francisco

Rock and Roll>Steam

THAT FREAKING SEGUE WAS PERFECT

3. warewolf95

8/12/11 San Francisco

Rock and Roll
    >Steam
    >Piper
    >Roses are Free

That's it. Show over. That was the definite highlight. This sequence is what it will be remembered for. Holy crap what a face-melting sequence...

:eek::eek::eek:

4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I can't resist the opportunity to note IWT.

5. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

6. warewolf95

How was it? I thought it was a perfect listen to throw on for rocking down the highway.

Not memorable really, but definitely highly enjoyable in a straightforward way :)

Crispy Rob, trd and wavethatflag like this.
  7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Well, I've heard it criticized as a "festival set," but that's why I go to festivals, or at least went to festivals--to see a lot of acts I like and other acts I don't know. As festival sets go, I thought it was solid. My brother was with me, my fiancé at the time, nice weather. It was a great time. The only hiccup for us is when they played "Steam," and did the dry ice effect after Trey ends a verse ending in "steam." My brother and I turned to each other and smiled and said, "Lame." Birds of a feather, indeed.

But I'm not surprised you enjoyed it. We did at the time. PHISH AT OUTSIDE LANDS! Yes! I'm sure the lineup for the next one will be awful. LOL. But overall Outside Lands is great. I've done the three-day run four or five times. I have some video of the band from that day I took with my phone.

8. trd

trd Forum Resident

Phish in Golden Gate Park, what’s to complain about?

9. warewolf95

So I've made myself a 2.0 non-album-originals companion but I need help sequencing it. Gimme your thoughts. After my edits to the tracks (starts/finishes, etc) it runs 59 minutes in length.

The tracks included:

- Mr. Completely (7/15/03), First six minutes of first song portion. Fades out
    - Mr. Completely "Reprise" section at the end of that 45 minute jam. I'd love to bookend this with these 2.
    - Blue Skies (Vida Blue, 2/26/03)
    - Clone (MG, 2/26/03)
    -Drifting (Trey, 2/26/03)
    -Final Flight (Pork Tornado, 2/26/03)
    -Spices (7/10/03)
    -Spread It Round (7/15/03)
    -Discern (8/2/03)

So yea, can you guys help me sequence this sucker? :p

wavethatflag likes this.
  10. warewolf95

Nevermind guys, I've got my sequence worked out :p

This gives a pretty good flow and works well as far as the fades in/out go, etc

1. Spices
    2. Mr. Completely
    3. Clone
    4. Blue Skies
    5. Drifting
    6. Final Flights
    7. Spread It Round
    8. Mr. Completely "Reprise"
    9. Discern

Mr. Completely starts so suddenly I couldn't have it be the true opener - Spices warms you up and lets you sink in. Then BAM, Mr. C hits you over the head with a 2x4.

The "solo" songs weren't specifically grouped together on purpose, but they just happenned to fit best that way within this group of tracks.

The thing with 2.0 is that a lot of the tracks are just full on FIRE or they are overly somber/mellow before building to raging peaks (Walls of the Cave, Spices, Pebbles...). So you can only really do so much with them in terms of a decent sequence, imo.

Anyways, here's my go at a 2.0 compilation. This satisfies my OCD. :p

11. warewolf95

I spent way too long on this.

Used an IT festival poster and stole the font from a 2003 ticket stub scan.

Here ye go:

[​IMG]

Bigdz68, walrus, wavethatflag and 3 others like this.
  12. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Yes, I was kinda bummed at missing the Outside Lands set. I still hadn't seen Steam in person, so I missed what might have been my first one.... I did end up catching one a couple of years later, so all good. Kind of an oddball song anyway, but this is Phish we're talking about after all! Oddball songs are their specialty!

Crispy Rob, trd and warewolf95 like this.
  13. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Continuing my Europe '96 adventure.... after Sesto Calende on the 15th, it was back to Vienne France for a couple of nights -- on the 16th it was my 3rd Neil show of the trip, with Alanis and the Foo Fighters opening, at the amazing Theatre Antique.

Next night, the 17th, was Santana / Phish. Again at the Theatre Antique, it was nice having a couple of days/nights in the same place...

That said, it was a bit of a "tough crowd" so to speak. During Phish's set, in David Bowie specifically, the whistling started. Not "good" whistling, as a form of cheering or applause, but "bad" whistling, a kind of booing, essentially. I guess the locals were bored and/or impatient with Phish's music, and started to let it be known. You can hear it on the tapes, though it's not entirely obvious without the context of being there... too bad, too, because it was one of the nicest venues they played in on the tour.

I kind of wonder if Carlos himself picked up on some of that -- there was some semi antagonistic banter between him and the crowd during his set as well, which was also the shortest Santana show of the 5 I attended. And not just a few minutes -- like 30 minutes shorter!

Anyway, both Carlos and Phish played great sets that evening, despite the crowd being kind of rude at times. Not only was the Santana show a bit shorter than usual, Phish played a rather short set as well:

01. The Divided Sky
    02. Sample In A Jar
    03. David Bowie
    04. Ya Mar
    05. Funky Bitch

johnnypaddock, warewolf95 and adamos like this.
  14. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

15. warewolf95

From time to time I dip into solo Trey waters.

I really enjoy his solo album - Shine, Trey 2002 and Bar 17 are all excellent.

I really love his upbeat-chill vibe I get on these albums, especially Trey 2002

I love his live bands as well but theres so much music I doubt ill ever seriously dive in, but still...

Point is, I think Trey has a pretty great little solo venture :)

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

TAB 2002 in Chicago was the most recent time I've seen Trey live, except for Fare Thee Well in 2015. From 2002 I remember Trey's solo acoustic version of "Chalkdust" where near the end of the solo he played the "Wilson" riff and pointed at himself when the crowd yelled "Willllsonnn.." (I saw someone with a "Trey Is Wilson" t-shirt at the grocery around that time.) Some of that show is on the Plasma double CD.

trd, Billy_Sunday and warewolf95 like this.
  17. trd

trd Forum Resident

Summer dropping today apparently and fall dates to come. Including (allegedly) Halloween in Vegas

Crispy Rob, JimSmiley and warewolf95 like this.
  18. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

19. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

West Coast Fall Run: Sacramento, San Fran x2, Eugene x2, Phoenix, Chula Vista, Inglewood, Santa Barbara, leaning up to 4 nights in Vegas for Halloween.

20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Sigh. I've only been in MN for a year and I can't wait to get out of here. I guess they played here once in 2016, so at their rate they'll be back in...2032?

warewolf95 likes this.
  21. GuidedByJonO)))

I get it, but I cannot believe not a single Chicago or even Alpine Valley show for either tour. Damn,

warewolf95 likes this.
  22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I'm tempted to go (the former) Deer Creek. Haven't been there since 1998.

23. GuidedByJonO)))

Haven't been there since '97 myself, it's tempting but so far out of the way for all of us. Alpine at least was more convenient for our group to meet up and hit.

warewolf95 likes this.
  24. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

ARK, Nashville, Hershey>AC, Vegas for me. Let's get this show on the road!!!

johnnypaddock and warewolf95 like this.
  25. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

warewolf95 likes this.