Black Sabbath Sabotage 2021 digital

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wrat, May 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrat

wrat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Qobuz has 2 hi res tracks up I have not listened or purchased interestingly enough they also have a hi res version of Paranoid from live aid

2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

David67 likes this.
  3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

David67 likes this.
  4. wrat

This video is unavailable

Dudley Morris likes this.
  5. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Weird, I'm literally playing it right now. :D

Let me try again:

6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Says unavailable for me too. Must not be allowed in the US.

wrat likes this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Gee, that's rough. It's not as if CD's or Vinyl are region locked. Sheesh.

wrat likes this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

There's a thread already for the 2021 Sabotage. I don't see the point of opening another for digital/CD versions, might as well discuss everything in one spot.

Black Sabbath - Sabotage - 5 LPs!

nodeerforamonth, slipkid, obi and 2 others like this.
  9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

True - but having "5 LPs" in the title is a bit strange if it's meant to cover all versions.

BDC, Dudley Morris, GregM and 4 others like this.
  10. wrat

Exactly why I started this

DrAftershave, eric777, BDC and 2 others like this.
  11. I think it's a good idea to have one thread for vinyl and one for digital, since the vinyl usually sounds a tad differently.

Marty T, QQQ, hutchguv and 4 others like this.
  12. Blocked in Canada too.

Music_dude likes this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Am I Going Insane (2021)

14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Symptom of the Universe (2021) - both of these tracks are currently available on all streaming services

Efus likes this.
  15. Raf

Raf Senior Member

16. Yes, but I took the title of this thread to refer to all digital versions which would include CDs.

@wrat, it is your thread: is it intended for discussion of download versions only, or CDs as well?

BDC, hutchguv and wrat like this.
  17. wrat

digital refers to all digital forms, although when discussing it would be helpful to know which digital source is being referenced

BDC, hutchguv and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  18. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Funny - Those youtube videos Deuce66 posted are unavailable to me, but the ones Vaughan posted work just fine.

wrat, blacksabbathrainbow and Deuce66 like this.
  19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

You're on the wrong side of the pond :D.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

So, I've not actually played this album in some time. Sabbath are not a band I play a lot these days. But when I listened to the two tracks posted on Youtube, it all came back to me. You know when an album has a "feel". A lot of memories came flashing back, and I was reminded at how sophisticated some of the arrangements are. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath will always be THE Sabbath album for me, but there's no denying that Sabotage is something very special.

Also, looking at the cover.. we've always had to deal with Bill Ward's underwear, but now when I look at it, every one of them is making a fashon faux pas. Geezer Butler with his flared trousers, Iommi with the big collar on his shirt, and of course Ozzy in a dress. I don't know why that hadn't struck me before. :D

Still, looking at the contents, there's just not enough to truly get me excited. It's a shame.

hutchguv likes this.
  21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It's actually a great idea to have them separated. If you're into Vinyl, you don't care about digital. If you're into digital, you don't care about Vinyl. This way it makes it easier to find the discussion points you really need. As the pendulum swings are vinyl takes over from CD, it'll be even more useful.

hutchguv likes this.
  22. wrat

Well I collect both actually BUT I am not interested in digitally sourced vinyl kinda defeats the purpose to me

23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yeah, I read that a lot, but I'd not draw that line myself (not that it matters either way, but just by way of a chat.....) Music properly mastered for vinyl will have compression added, and specific EQ applied to suit the medium, that's what achieves the signature sound. As such, a digital master that has had these choices applied should sound fine. Any Vinyl release that simply tries to use a digital master wouldn't be okay, and may even be prone to skipping. At least that's how I see it. Increasingly masters are going to be digital, it's the archival method of choice these days. Plus, those old tapes are beginning to suffer. For example, I recall an interview with Ian Anderson discussing, I believe, the masters to "A", and saying the tape had degraded and some of the high-end was gone.

Still, that's off-topic, and just an opinion that doesn't matter either way. :D

hutchguv and wrat like this.
  24. Same here. Based on what I read in the Vol4 SDE and other threads, a significant number of people are willing to buy the vinyl edition of pretty much any new box set based on the belief that it will likely sound significantly better than the CD or download release. Which may well be true, but it's a pretty low bar, given the poor quality of recent Sabbath remasters.

Good points IMO. Anyway, just for the record, for all we know most Sabbath master tapes are likely in fine condition. (I know you weren't talking specifically about Sabbath, but too many folks around here, some of which will likely read your comment, don't know much specifically about Sabbath's masterings and tapes and are thus all too willing to take general statements like yours and believe them to apply to Sabbath even if there's not evidence whatsoever to suggest they do.) The most recent Sabotage release on CD, the 2016 Rhino CD using the 2012 Pearce remasters, sounds bad due to the overly bright mastering, but I don't remember any signs of tape flaws. It's been a while though - if anyone is aware of any evidence pointing to tape deterioration on any of the more recent Sabotage releases, please let us know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.