Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

The image quality on the Blu-Ray sets of Twilight Zone and The Dick Van Dyke Show blow the DVD versions out of the water.

Also, region-free Blu-Ray players are very easy to find.

Manutius, Dave112 and Michael like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

an incredible difference! I agree...

3. Michael

Region Codes

4. Michael

they play all region movies...no need for a special player to match the code of the DVD & BD...

All Down The Line likes this.
  5. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I know
    At 220 Electronics you can get a standard BD player for $150-#250 or one that does UHD-BD's for as low as $309. That doesn't include shipping outside the U.S. It's free in Estados Unidos. If you buy one I'd recommend you go with Panasonic or Sony if possible. I think they're making the best players at this point.

220 Electronics - International Relocation TVs DVDs Converters & More

6. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I would love to find a region free BluRay player. A few years ago, I couldn't find one and read that they weren't made per BluRay specifications. What is the best region free BluRay player to buy right now?

Manutius and All Down The Line like this.
  7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Actually, the older stuff benefits more from Blu-Ray than newer movies.

Lawrence of Arabia
    Wizard of Oz
    Gone With The Wind
    King Kong (1933)
    To Kill A Mockingbird
    Citizen Kane

All look amazing on BD.

8. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Went back to big lots and they got more of the seasons of tv shows on dvd in. However the price is now 8 bucks a pop instead of 5. My wife got me a Rawhide I didn't have.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  9. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Both of mine also have 3D capability, so I'm not sure if I'd be the one to recommend a specific model. One is a Panasonic and one is an ORei. Got them both from amazon.

Dave112 likes this.
  10. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Whenever I visit my local used book/record/movie store, they have a cart full of one-dollar DVDs right outside the front door to suck you in as soon as you get out of your car. As a result, I've probably bought more DVDs so far this year than I have in the previous five years...off the top of my head, I've grabbed Spectre, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Face/Off, Silent Hill, Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade, and a handful of others. :D

clhboa and Grand_Ennui like this.
  11. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Either the best Panasonic or Sony models. The Sony 1100ES I bought is incredibly easy to operate. DVD Wee-Jun Kodes are automatic. To change the BD Wee-Jun, you open the tray and pick one of the first 3 (of 4) Color Buttons. Yellow is A. Blue is B. Red is C. I have never used the red button. I'm not sure there are any Wee-Jun C discs....??? A is the U.S. and B is Europe. E-Z! When you close the tray the Wee-Jun is changed till you change it back.

I've yet to own a Panasonic Wee-Jun emancipated player but they're making some very fine players. I have two including the flagship 9000.

Dave112 and Manutius like this.
  12. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Purchasing 8-10 DVDs a month these days, all used, most from goodwill and thrift stores. Mostly on the look out for any great action flicks with 5.1 mixes. I'm finding out the 90s James Bond films have great mixes. And watching Simpsons in surround is also more fun than I ever knew. Still filling out my collection of those seasons. Or I'll just pick up anything random I've never seen or heard of before stuff like The Matador (Pierce Brosnan), The Sentinel (Michael Douglas), Lost Souls (Winona Ryder), The Box (Cameron Diaz), Automata (Antonio Bandaras). At this point, at like $2 a pop, I can find all kinds of interesting stuff for cheap. If its no good, that's okay, its cheaper than renting just about anything that's streaming after all.

13. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I was at Dollar Tree last week. Right in the middle of a big bin of low budget movies you never heard of I found a dvd/blu-ray combo pack of "Bad Teacher". Even though I had it on dvd I couldn't pass this up. Very funny movie.

Greenalishi and keefer1970 like this.
  14. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

My latest additions for May 12, 2021. They are: Auto Focus / Born Free / Buster Keaton Shorts / Cinderella Man / Cruel Intentions 2 / The Ghost
    & Mrs. Muir / Gold Diggers Of 1937 / Guys & Dolls / Hers To Hold / The Jetsons-Complete Series / Just Getting Started / Just William / Knight
    Moves / Lillian Russell / The Marx Brothers Double Feature (Room Service & At The Circus) / On The Beach / Paul Lynde Halloween Special /
    Shane-Complete Series / Splendor In The Grass / That 70's Show-Complete Series. Really looking forward to watching them.
    [​IMG]

15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I wasn't aware of that series-I may have to check that one out.

Greenalishi and Dave112 like this.
  16. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I didn't know Paul Lynde made a Halloween Special. I would love to find that one! Great bunch of finds you have there.

I just received Amazing Stories the complete series and Voyagers the complete series on DVD (new purchases). At the thrift stores I got Multiplicity, The Pink Panther (Peter Sellers), and Christine. Not bad for the last two weeks.

Greenalishi likes this.
  17. Michael

a fun movie!
    we really enjoyed it.
    The Matador (Pierce Brosnan)

Cokelike- likes this.
  18. Gavin West

Gavin West Active Member

Yes I still buy dvds at the moment I am getting really into B movies made in the UK in the 1960s and 1970s. There were so many of these movies and you don't see them on netflix.

Dave112 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  19. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

The Paul Lynde Halloween Special was awesome. I saw it at the time. The Wicked Witch from the Wizard Of Oz and Witchipoo from H.R. Puffinstuff together! With Kiss playing in the dungeon!!!

Dave112 likes this.
  20. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Got WINGS the complete series from Amazon

21. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

got scream 4, young guns, miami vice season 4+5, whos harry crumb, the great outdoors , to kill a mockingbird, christine, where danger lives, and tension

all for 43.00 dollars at mega replay

Manutius and Grand_Ennui like this.
  22. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I've started going down the rabbit hole with 4K UHD discs now. God help me!

Manutius and Michael like this.
  23. It's a good time to jump into the format. The studios have figured out what works and what doesn't work at 4K. Boutique labels are now tossing out more UHDs.

Manutius likes this.
  24. Michael

it hurts when I have to buy a DVD because there is no BD available...It's common...shouldn't be. : (

25. Michael

NO!!!!!!!!! there is no help...accept your fate and indulge...it hopeless, fruitless, and every other word you care to add...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.