Rolling Stones A Bigger Bang Live On Copacabana Beach releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sis+erRay, May 7, 2021.

1. summerof6911

summerof6911 Forum Resident

Many others have said this before about the same expressed wish, but they (Mick?) seem determined to do anything but make Brussels officially available on its own as a CD or LP. Which is bizarre, it'd be certain to sell at least ~25,000 copies and its not as though the label needs to press half a million of them ahead of time nowadays.

Lk4605 likes this.
  2. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

6. ‘A Bigger Bang’ Live On Copacabana Beach: SD Blu-ray
    The Blu-ray is standard definition? Not remastered for a high resolution format, that's poor.

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Same here.
    There are far too many releases on the market now and we are way past saturation point. Also, I'm not really interested in the shows after 1982, apart from the Voodoo Lounge/Stripped era. I don't like to watch the later shows where they look withered (despite Micks brave efforts to project like he used to).

4. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was shot with TV cameras only - which were SD back in the days - not on film, so it's not possible to make HD/4K scans and offer a proper HD or 4K Blu-ray because there simply isn't any more information available. The good thing with SD Blu-ray is that it uses the H.264 video codec and supports more lossless audio formats than the DVD.

5. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

No. Chicago Manual of Style - 'A' precedes words with a consonant sound, including /y/, /h/, and /w/, no matter how the word is spelled {a eulogy} {a historic occasion} {a onetime pass}.

Also, remember the Time magazine cover story "A historic choice" when Geraldine Ferarro was named VP candidate? A deluge of angry letters and subscription cancellations, but the readers were wrong.

mpw362d likes this.
  6. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

The Copa concert was shown as a "one night only special event" in theaters months before it came out on the Biggest Bang DVD collection. It was OK but the sound was god awful. Perhaps the second tier theater where I saw it didn't have good sound equipment. A bunch of us paid like $12 each to see the stupid thing and the audio sounded like it was being played over a phone. The theater manager couldn't do anything as the screen had been leased to the movie "promoter" for the evening. I wrote a letter of complaint and I think they sent me a poster. Of course I bought the DVD months later but I don't think I ever played the Copa show. Hence I don't want or need another expensive version of a 21st century Stones show with virtually all the same songs and arrangements as all the other expensive 21st century Stones shows they've released.

7. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Me too, wasn't overwhelmed by the show itself, but the general experience of Stones buzz in Rio was great. The best media souvenir is the behind-the-scenes documentary by the Discovery Channel, I believe.

8. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I'm not worried about the "a", I think the repetition of "historic" and "history" is superflous.

9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

And the Salt Lake City show on the Deluxe Edition has 4 songs not played at the Rio show.

Carl80 likes this.
  10. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Yep, which is why it’s so damn annoying that they only put the LA ‘75 show on DVD.

Sis+erRay likes this.
  11. But am I understanding this correctly, the bonus Salt Lake City show is only available in the Deluxe DVD version and not the Deluxe Blu-ray edition?

12. Sis+erRay

No, it's part of both Deluxe editions as a seperate disc.

Curveboy and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  13. :tiphat:

14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It's a separate disc on both the dvd and Blu-Ray Deluxe edition releases but there are only 4 songs which were played at the Salt Lake City show and not played at the Rio show. The rest of the set list is all the same.

Carl80 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  15. uncle

uncle Senior Member

I am bummed there still seems to be no official live version of Streets of Love. I am sure I am in the minority but I like the song a lot and would love a live version.

16. Sis+erRay

The first track from the release is one we already know....

17. bfackler

bfackler Senior Member

I'm having a difficult time finding the Deluxe version in Blu Ray. Could someone give me a link?

TheLoveDrags and bluesbro like this.
  18. Sis+erRay

19. summerof6911

summerof6911 Forum Resident

I've pre-ordered clear vinyl in Canada. Whether I ever listen to it much or not after it comes I've learned it's best to buy these things when freshly available than to want to track one down in three years when on a particular Stones binge.

20. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Wow...that's quite possibly the most stilted and awkward Brown Sugar intro I have heard Keith play. The whole band is stiff and struggling...and Ronnie's playing is...um...yeah.

21. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Can’t decide weather to go for the DVD or Blu Ray deluxe set, or just get the blu ray on its own, don’t really get the point of the SD blu rays as they wouldn’t have been filmed in HD at the time, are they much of a benefit over the DVD ? It’s just an upscale job isn’t it, not proper HD. One of the best quality shows I have on Blu Ray is the Japan release of Hal Ashby’s Let’s Spend The Night Together from the 81 tour, not sure how they got the gig in such clear quality from back then on that blu ray release.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

See this:

Carl80 likes this.
  23. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Meh, I think I have enough post 2000 Stones on video so will spend my music money elsewhere.

If the Stones want me to spend money on these expensive boxsets how about they work with ABKCO and Maysles Films to put together a Super Deluxe box set of the 1969 MSG concerts.

They could do the complete audio of all three MSG concerts and as much of the additional video as possible. They could even offer all 3 concerts on vinyl in a 6LP boxset with a lavish hardcover book and copies of the tickets.

If they want to get crazy include audio of the Baltimore concert as a bonus and video scraps from Detroit and any other 1969 video they can find.

I would pay big money for that in a heartbeat.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  24. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Not happening. ABKCO did what they could within the parameters of the status quo, and we got the 2009 Ya-Yas box set with its 5 bonus tracks, plus blink-and-you-missed-them copyright releases online ten years later. Unless things change drastically (ie. Promotone buys out ABKCO's copyrights completely), they are not going to revisit that tour

25. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Oh I agree it will never happen but the audio and video exists so it is doable if all parties wanted to cooperate and put in the effort as evidenced by the expanded 2009 YaYa's boxset.

The 1969 MSG concerts are a holy grail for me as I love the 1969 tour and have every concert that is available on boots.

I never thought I would get to hear the pro recordings of those MSG shows in my lifetime so was floored when ABKCO did the NYE dump of two of them a few years ago.

I have the MSG copyright releases and they are amazing warts and all for a 1969 tour fanatic like myself. Imagine these shows released in Ya Ya's quality.

I don't think they would have any problem selling that box set if it was done right.

A fan can dream.......

bonus, paulbright81, Mosthaf and 2 others like this.