MeTV launching classic cartoon blocks

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BradOlson, Oct 31, 2020.

1. sakuraba

sakuraba Forum Resident

Woody Woodpecker was one of my favorites but I haven't seen reruns in forever.

Hall Cat and Spaghettiows like this.
  2. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Part of that is because, for the most part, broadcast television in the U.S. is no longer allowed to air commercials targeted to children.

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

4. AnalogueAndy

AnalogueAndy Forum Resident

Where’s J.P. Patches when you need him? Calling all PATCHES PALS . . .

beccabear67 likes this.
  5. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

We have enjoyed watching the Popeye and Pals on Saturday morning. Really gives the house a nostalgic flavor. The old Fleischer cartoons are so well done and funny. Also interesting to watch those in-between wartime era cartoons where Popeye moves to all white uniform and the artwork changes some, though still in B&W.

We watch some of Tom and Jerry but I've seen those so many times over and I really dislike the early 60s T&J shorts. Jumped the shark in that era of cartoons.

hi_watt and beccabear67 like this.
  6. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

I'd love to see them show reruns of the old Hanna Barbera show Wait Till Your Father Gets Home, but in today's PC world I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

7. Paul Gase

They show repeats of old Carol Burnett episodes and believe me, nearly every episode contains some kind of offensive or objectionable trope by today's standards.

I'd personally like to see The Archies, Josie and The Pussycats and Pebbles and Bam Bam make an appearance.

evillouie likes this.
  8. FredV

FredV Senior Member

1960’s Archie cartoons on Tubi.

Link: Archie

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

He truly is the "Oliver Wendell Douglas" of Looney Tunes World.

10. BradOlson

Yes indeed, this is complete as the 60s series only lasted for 1 season with 17 episodes.

11. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

[​IMG]

hi_watt and MarkTheShark like this.
  12. More Than A Feeling

More Than A Feeling Little River, Big Adventures!

Here's an idea: go deeper in to the Hanna-Barbara/Warner library. Make it a Boomerang block in 2o21. Quick Draw McGraw, Atom Ant, Pixie, Dixie and Mr. Jinks. ALL OF IT. Every Hanna-Barbara, Warner or early Cartoon Network show from the 50s through the 90s. The Boomerang channel is watched by about 10 people because they only play Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry and Scooby Doo and isn't available on Comcast and many other services. A Saturday mourning Boomerang block on MeTV(Or the recently announced MeTV Plus because these are lesser known shows) would be a 10/10 addition.

MarkTheShark and beccabear67 like this.
  13. Paul Gase

Well, it’s true. Unless you find adultery and overt alcoholism to be funny in 2021. I watched when I was a kid. I still watch, but I have to admit to the cringe worthy elements that were aired.

14. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I like Me tv s cartoon shows early. Nice old fashioned corner hosts. Great selections. Very enjoyable

15. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I get a real buzz from seeing Wally Gator, Ruff N' Reddy, Snooper and Blabbermouse, Winsome Witch, Grape Ape... any of that stuff in any format. They seemed to have like a thousand characters... Speed-Buggy, Sqiddley Diddley, Precious Pup, Ricochet Rabbit... they need to just spin the cartoon wheel so you never know which one you're getting... Secret Squirrel, Penelope Pitstop, Yakky Doodle, Punkin' Puss and Mushmouse, The Hillbilly Bears!

16. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

I hope they get the rights to show Sinbad, Jr. and The Mighty Hercules. Great shows.

Jack Lord and beccabear67 like this.
  17. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I can't resist the Hercules with Newton the centaur ('that's me, that's me') and the Johnny Nash theme, or the Herculoids whenever I run across them!
    [​IMG]

hi_watt and geetar_await like this.
  18. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

I don't seem to recall that show. I'll have to look on UTube for that one.

19. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Well, sort of, "technically." The series continued for several years, but under different titles and formats. The following year (1969) it was reformatted as "The Archie Comedy Hour," with all new segments featuring the Archies and Sabrina The Teenage Witch. Then they did "Archie's Funhouse," which was more music-oriented, featuring the Giant Jukebox with "Laugh-In" type blackouts between the songs.

Then came "Archie's TV Funnies" with the gang running a TV station showing short cartoons with Smokey Stover, Dick Tracy and others. Then "U.S. Of Archie," a couple years before the U.S. Bicentennial with a historical theme.

Reruns of all these were then syndicated together in 1976 under the package title "The Archies." Then in 1977 they did one last "new" version of the show, "The New Archie/Sabrina Hour."

Greenalishi likes this.
  20. Paul Gase

Unfortunately METV has now changed Popeye and Pals to The Popeye and Pink Panther Party.

Talk about two cartoons that don’t fit well together....

Greenalishi likes this.
  21. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

From my perspective, less Popeye is a good thing. I liked Popeye as a kid but it doesn't do much for me anymore. Then again, I feel somewhat the same about Pink Panther, but at least the music in those shorts still sounds great.

Greenalishi likes this.
  22. Greenalishi

Popeye holds up for me. Pink Panther I just never liked. Road Runner was the same, never liked it but I kinda like it now.

23. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I never liked Popeye when i was young, and it’s even less appealing now. MeTV seems to show a lot of the old B&W Popeyes. I only remember our local station showing the color shorts when I was growing up.

I love catching Looney Tunes, but I’m particular about those. If it’s a Bugs, a Daffy, or a Sylvester/Tweety (or the occasional Roadrunner), then I’m in. If it’s Pepe or Speedy or Foghorn or an old Porky Pig, then I skip it.

Greenalishi likes this.
  24. Greenalishi

Foghorns the best

25. BradOlson

I love Foghorn Leghorn myself.

Greenalishi likes this.