Another 12AU7 / ECC82 Tube recomendation needed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PJC68, Apr 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

Certain Mullards, such as long plates are known for their holographic presentation. Interesting that you noticed the difference with the Brimars so early on. Good ears, mate.
    There are many attributes the Brimars have that Mullards do not. I always like to use a Brimar somewhere in my all tube system.

2. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I noticed the midrange was level with the top and bottom, maybe that was the mullards fault for being more mid orientated and me getting used to it, the separation of instruments and voices seem better on the Brimars
    I have boxed the mullards for back up and i can see the Brimars staying, i think they are more linear than the mullards
    These sound smooth straight out of the box, like it does not want to put a foot wrong, i have read after about 100 hours they sound well better (like most things)

Lowrider75 likes this.
  3. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

It's interesting that you mentioned these tubes because I just re-tubed the phono stage in my old audible illusions 2D preamp with the exact same ones. I have used them before, but the last set, I just got from Amazon and I don't know if they were properly matched or anything but they were okay, until I started started getting some tube rush. So this time I got the Platinum set with cryo treatment from upscale audio. While they were coming, I put in a set of JJ's I had laying around which were okay but I could immediately tell the difference. The JJ's were kind of flat and didn't have the bass extensions that I was used to.

Speaking about the cryo treatment, I have used tubes with this treatment before, and there is something about it that does make them sound better.

So I just put in the new ones moments ago. They are burning in now I suppose bu,t I would swear Scott LaFaro is in my living room...

4. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I just googled "cryogenic treatment audio". There so much BS on all those sites.

But if you hear differences then all the power to you.

5. Ilusndweller

6. Spin Doctor

Well it's just a few bucks extra so I figure why not. But the ones I have installed now sound really good so, whether the cryo has anything to do with it or not I don't care LOL.

Lowrider75 likes this.
  7. Ilusndweller

Found a blind ABX study.

Cryo Tube Controversy - The Chilling Truth | thetubestore Blog

"After several comparisons, we discovered that none of our listeners could hear any difference between the tube sets, let alone an improvement. No one could tell if or when a set was changed. If we could not hear an improvement, and we could not measure an improvement, we found it difficult to justify selling these “treated” tubes."

trumpetplayer and Razakoz like this.
  8. PJC68

The Brimars are sounding a little better, they seem to have more body than before, these are a good choice for Jazz and easier listening
    I’ll have another listen tomorrow

Lowrider75 likes this.
  9. labreahouse

labreahouse Forum Resident

FWIW, I recently rolled out my NOS Telefunken Red Tip for a JJ ECC82 Gold Pin. I know it goes against logic, but the new JJ just excels in every way over the NOS tube for me and in my system. The Telefunken had larger presence in the highs, very open and detailed, but I much prefer the lush, warm/full low end, 3D imaging on the new JJ. I had a similar experience w/ a NOS Brimar CV4035 in my integrated amp, I ended up preferring the JJ E83CC.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  10. Spin Doctor

That's pretty interesting to me. I used those JJ's for a long time in my preamp, but I think the Gold Lion's sound better in almost every way. They do cost twice as much as the JJ's, so there is that.

labreahouse likes this.
  11. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

When they unfreeze Walt Disney at least he’ll sound better.

SteveFord likes this.
  12. PJC68

After 5 days the Brimars have started to sound more open and clear, the bass seems more deep and tuneful
    I have noticed the naunces are there but inner fine detail seems to be slightly veiled and slightly grey sounding on some recordings, i will evaluate the tubes after 3 weeks of being on 24/7, everything seems to settle down after that length of time
    I am still burning in the kimber 4TC links i recently bought on my speakers, the 8TC burned in years ago
    Has anyone ever Bi wired their Unison research unico amp, did it sound better

13. Lowrider75

A veiling effect and lack of detail is typical of tubes breaking in. Small signal tubes should take about 60 hours to reach full breakin.

PJC68 likes this.
  14. PJC68

I was thinking that myself about break in, im in the school of "leave it on for 3 weeks to burn in", it is on some cd,s and i also reckon it is down to the way the cd has been mastered or recorded originaly, on most it sounds great
    It was on the great rock n roll swindle by the sex pistols :D

Lowrider75 likes this.
  15. PJC68

NOS Mullard CV4003
    [​IMG]

16. Lowrider75

Your original Mullards? CV4003 would be boxplates, nice sounding tubes.
    The most liquid and holographic are the long plate square getter. And they command a premium price.

17. PJC68

These go for £150 each from Watford valves here in the UK, these are the ones that were in the amp when i bought it
    I think the Brimar are more balanced and for £28 each it,s a no brainer, some prices are ridiculous for valves, 40+ years ago they were not worth a carrot
    I can see why some people stick with solid state
    Theses are supposed to be closed to the Amprex sound, have you tried these before
    6189 12AU7WA JHS SYLVANIA NOS VALVE/TUBE - Langrex

Lowrider75 likes this.
  18. Lowrider75

The year of manufacture plays a part in pricing NOS valves. Your Mullards are expensive, about the same as in the US.

That's a great price for the Brimars, they're very expensive over here and often out of stock. I forgot, are yours NOS 4003's?
    I agree, they are more balanced with more clarity and extension than the Mullard.

PJC68 likes this.
  19. Lowrider75

I've never tried those Sylvania. I've read about them and they do get compared to Amperex. The JAS WA indicates military spec. I own many Sylvania, but they are of the 6SN7 type for a different amp. Their house sound is transparent with smooth extended highs.

20. PJC68

These are the ones i have, look the same as the ones upscale have
    CV4003 12AU7WA BRIMAR NOS VALVE/TUBE (T14B) - Langrex
    The same valve with a military code
    CV4003 12AU7WA 6189 KB/AD BRIMAR NOS VALVE/TUBE (T7B) - Langrex

Lowrider75 likes this.
  21. PJC68

22. Lowrider75

Yes, that's them. I have two pairs from Upscale.
    Brimar CV4003 / 12AU7

More expensive over here, but he noise-tests all his tubes, they have a black background and sound heavenly as drivers in my amp.

PJC68 likes this.
  23. Lowrider75

I've owned many RCA blackplates over the years. My favourite are the 5814A military spec. I just checked and 6189 is the same military tube.
    They add some warmth (way less than Mullard warmth) with very good dynamics and some air in the highs.

24. PJC68

I was thinking thats why you pay more, i asked the guy from Langrex to check them for noise, emissions etc, he matched them up for me
    How could you test for noisy valves with out pulling them out the amp

25. PJC68

These are 1962 vintage, probably cheaper on your side of the water as they are American made

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.