Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

This is a cool idea, and I know folks will love it, but it annoys me that there is no CD equivalent (especially since that "Ruby Waves" is way more suited to a format you don't have to flip mid-jam!).

walrus and Clucking like this.
  2. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Nice!

I just put in for Sacramento and Santa Barbara. Not holding my breath, but hopefully it'll work out!

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. Billy_Sunday

Obligatory Grovel:

Any extra Tahoe tickets? The new dates are 8/31 and 9/1. I just reserved a campsite at Emerald Bay which I could potentially share (about 25 minutes from Stateline)

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Oh man, I am so down for Nashville or Atlanta, but I gotta give a hard nope and say I'll enjoy the recordings.

I'm Polish/Irish - let's just say I'm a pale potato. People used to jokingly call me ghost boy as a kid, lol

I burn after 10 minutes of driving in the car.

Having grown up in the heat of Florida, let's just say I avoid everything outside in the summer months if possible.

:p

Best of luck and good wishes to everyone attending! :D

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  5. warewolf95

After a respite from listening for several days, I move on to 8/15/11, Chicago #1 - the "elements" show

I was holding out until I felt in the mood to watch the stream of it, but I finally gave in and decided to just listen instead. :p

Night 1 has a highly interesting setlist! Rarities and debuts, songs in unusual set placements.

I have high expectations for this one :)

6. Billy_Sunday

So, after the Vienne show we went down to Nice, France -- beautiful!

Phish & Santana were both in the festival line up this 18th day of July.... Phish was tucked over on one of the side stages.... Nice set!

Phish

Theatre de Verdure

Nice Jazz Festival 1996

Nice, France

July 18 1996

01. Julius
    02. Cars Trucks & Buses
    03. Boucin'
    04. Stash
    05. Hello My Baby
    06. It's Ice
    07. You Enjoy Myself

johnnypaddock, adamos, trd and 2 others like this.
  7. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Moving to Ojai in August - so have celebrated with an LA ticket and need to get my name down on the lottery/waitlist/whatever it is for Santa B.

Crispy Rob and Billy_Sunday like this.
  8. Billy_Sunday

Checking out - and transferring -- my fob tape from The Gorge Aug 2 1997. Apparently this recording doesn't circulate. Not in the etree db anyway. I was using a borrowed set of Schoeps MK5's.

Good stuff!

Set I

Theme From The Bottom, Ginseng Sullivan, Ghost, Dogs Stole Things, The Divided Sky, Wolfman's Brother, Water In The Sky, Split Open And Melt

Set II

Down With Disease > Tweezer > Down With Disease > Johnny B. Goode, Sparkle, Wading In The Velvet Sea, Loving Cup, Tweezer Reprise

E: Harry Hood

9. warewolf95

8/15/11 Chicago

Back On the Train - great opener. Amazing peak.

Rift - not a memorable version. Better ones in recent 2011 memories, but still a fine one.

Guelah Papyrus
    Scent of a Mule
    Jesus Just Left Chicago

All three were excellent picks. All played fine but nothing special, imo.

Wolfman's Brother - Now THIS is what I'm talkin about! CHECK OUT THIS JAM!!! I'd call this a perfect example of "Type 1.5" :p
    They go far out but never reach space. They eventually mosey their way homeward very naturally without a hint of ripcording. A wonderful and "complete" jam! TERRIFIC!!!!!!

adamos likes this.
  10. warewolf95

8/15/11 Chicago

BABYLON BABY IS A GREAT TUNE AND THIS ONE HAS GREAT JAMMING! AWESOME STUFF! :D

adamos likes this.
  11. warewolf95

8/15/11 Chicago

Beautiful Reba

Alumni Blues - HOTTER THAN THE FRICKIN SUN HOLY SWEET BANANZA

johnnypaddock and adamos like this.
  12. warewolf95

Made it through set I of 8/15/11 but set II has to wait for tomorrow.

I thought I was in the mood but I'm just not feelin' it tonight.

Forced listening is never good listening :)

13. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

That's a setlist.

14. warewolf95

I'm so used to JBG being a Dead encore that it always jars me big time when Phish toss it in the middle of a set, lol

15. Billy_Sunday

So, 1994 was the year I really got into seeing Phish. I think I saw them 30 times that year. Well, 27 years ago was my first show of the 1994 tour.

Kind of a hole in the wall theater in Tucson, Arizona. My friend and I showed up around 4pm.... the crew was setting up inside, side doors were open, the whole scene was pretty mellow. So, we poked our heads inside and saw the band was getting ready to soundcheck. The crew didn't seem to care that we were there, so we sat down in the front row and hung out while the band did their soundcheck. Wish I remembered what they played! By the time they were done, a few more heads had wandered in. At that point, we were all ushered out....

The show itself was a good one. But they were just getting started! 1994 was a good year to be seeing Phish, oh, yes.

5/12/1994 - Buena Vista Theater, Tucson, AZ

Set I
    Catapult
    Rift
    Down With Disease
    Fee
    Maze
    Axilla II
    Foam
    Bathtub Gin
    Lizards
    Sample in a Jar

Set II
    Also Sprach Zarathustra >
    Run Like an Antelope
    The Horse >
    Silent in the Morning
    Uncle Pen
    Fluffhead
    Lifeboy
    Possum
    HYHU > Love You > HYHU
    Contact
    BBFCFM

e: Amazing Grace
    e: Rocky Top

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I was thinking the set II list looked a bit flat but then noticed...they ended it with BBFCFM? Never heard of that before.

17. Billy_Sunday

1994 was a fun year to be seeing Phish!

Crispy Rob, ARK and warewolf95 like this.
  18. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Grateful Dead "rocking out" is one of the funniest things in music.

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. warewolf95

Watching this makes me smile :)

I can totally see them doing a Genesis album for a Holloween show. That'd be sick.

Crispy Rob, adamos and johnnypaddock like this.
  20. warewolf95

To piggy back on the above, Cactus is just ON POINT on that and the maligned No Reply at All Cover.

Mike is just nailing it all perfectly :)

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I also saw my first Phish show that year, 6/22/94 Columbus. My main memories of it are that the crowd was very clean cut and that I was thoroughly lost during the Mike's->Simple etc. sequence in set two (I had only heard the albums before that show).

22. warewolf95

Played Trey's Bar 17 followed by 18 Steps this evening.

For supposed outtakes, 18 Steps is certainly loaded with strong material!

Hell, the title track, Dark and Down, Discern...awesome stuff.

I'm generally not into Phish playing solo member stuff on principal (don't wanna muddy the waters too much) but 18 Steps I'm sure would've made the Phish cut had they put out an album then. I can just picture them tearing this track to shreds on the stage. :)

adamos, Billy_Sunday and trd like this.
  23. Jeff Hooper

Jeff Hooper Well-Known Member

I was at that show and have a distinct memory of walking over the top of the hill and looking down at the stage when TFTB started. Might have to miss it this year despite having tickets...

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  24. Billy_Sunday

5/13/94 - Hayden Square - Tempe Arizona

What a difference a day makes! Not that the Tuscon show the night before wasn't a solid outing, but the 1994 bar was raised considerably at this show! To this day, it remains one of my top 5 (or so) IWT Phish shows. The stars were aligned on this date -- almost literally. The venue here is essentially a courtyard within a little semi oasis shopping center type place, no permanent barriers, for example, just a perimeter of temporary fencing. It was a beautiful, crystal clear evening in the warm desert air, stars shining above.... the way the "Square" was setup, there were some 2 story buildings along one side of the fenced in area, including an upstairs restaurant with terrace overlooking the venue and the stage. I had dinner up there at a balcony table -- again, during soundcheck! And I was closer to the stage than the 'nosebleeds' at most larger venues. Anyway after my meal I went in line and when the doors opened my friends and I headed for the rail.

From the opening notes of Runaway Jim, it was clear that this was going to be a good show. Everything is played to perfection, with a setlist that is, as the deadheads might say, Just Exactly Perfect. The first set-ending trifecta of My Friend / Slave / Suzie was simply the bomb. Set II however is where the show really gets going! And that's saying something, considering the strength of the first set!

To this day I consider the Melt one of the Greatest of all Time. Seriously. I've praised it here before, and I'm pretty sure I'm "not wrong" LOL. The peak at the end is just some of tightest, sickest, meanest, funkiest, Melt jamming you will find, in '94, or any year!

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. Ignore this show at your own risk. :) This should really be an archival release. Really. What are they waiting for??? E P I C

Set I
    Runaway Jim
    It's Ice
    Julius
    Mound
    Stash
    If I Could
    My Friend My Friend
    Slave to the Traffic Light
    Suzie Greenberg

Set II

Chalk Dust Torture
    Bouncing Around the Room
    Split Open and Melt
    McGrupp
    Peaches en Regalia
    Scent of a Mule
    You Enjoy Myself
    HYHU > Purple Rain > HYHU
    Good Times Bad Times

e: Freebird

25. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Funny you mention this show in Tempe. I remember seeing them at the Wiltern on 5/16 and thinking it was a stellar show. I ran into a pseudo-friend afterwards and said "What an amazing show!" and in typical one-upmanship he said "If you say so. Doesn't compare to the other night in Arizona!" I never forgot that. Still haven't heard this one, but it's etched in my mind as being a standout.