THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Compared to the garbage quality many of us have watched this material for over 50 years now, I will take some modern "soft image" issues.

This could be the best that PJ and his team could do with the 57 hours of material! To me I have watched the clip about 5 times now and I have no complaints about the video quality of the material and I do admit I am a 4K/Blu-Ray quality snob! :righton:

2. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Funny, ironic?, while I am waiting for the new Get Back, I watched Elvis in “That’s the Way It Is” belt out a full version of Get Back, filmed In 1970.

3. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

It would be great to have a 24x7 Get Back channel that plays the full 57 hours of video in a loop continuously.

4. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Apple and Peter Jackson are you listening???? LOL

edrebber and boggs like this.
  5. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

THIS!!!

edrebber likes this.
  6. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Actually a very novel and good idea. Kind of “slow tv” like train cab videos. You can tune in and out ad libitum. Can’t see it happening, but good idea nonetheless.

7. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Someone call Pluto TV.

That place they're recording in doesn't look too photogenic. Looks like an abandoned warehouse.

edrebber likes this.
  8. Smash

Smash Forum Resident

If you use Plex, there's a great third-party add-on called DizqueTV that lets you make "channels" of local files, including audio-only channels. Requires purchasing a Plex Pass unfortunately, but there are similar freeware services.

edrebber likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If they shot with normal 400' 16mm loads, it'd be about 11 minutes per magazine. Great camera assistants can switch mags in less than 10 seconds. I think there's much more than 50 hours of coverage on Let It Be.

Grain reduction is more complex than you make it out to be. Bear in mind that we have the ability to apply NR just to the highlights, just to the mids, or just to the shadow areas, and we also have the ability to apply NR only to one specific color; for example, the blue film layer often winds up the noisiest in camera negative, so we can apply just blue NR and leave most of the detail alone. There are sophisticated non-real-time noise reduction and image enhancement techniques that really do look sharper and yet with less grain than the original, particularly in the case of a 50-year-old negative. Take a look at what Jackson's Park Road Post did on They Shall Not Grow Old, which is a pretty remarkable restoration in a lot of ways. Just stabilizing and pin-registering the negative provides another 10-20% of apparent sharpness.

Edge sharpening is not something we use so willy-nilly: we have the ability to define what specifically gets sharpened (essentially qualifying a specific light/dark range) and then eliminating what we don't want to get sharpened. It's not necessarily highlight-sharpening, which was the old analog method used in the 1990s and early 2000s. That's been gone for a long time. It's not one knob -- it's potentially a half-dozen knobs. Of course, the key is to use good judgement. My tactic is always "when in doubt, back off a little bit."

I wouldn't try to judge the new Let It Be until it's actually released. Let's come back to this in August when it's actually out and then we can really examine what the technicians did and what's good/bad/ugly about it. My take is the Park Road guys are very smart and know how far to push things without going too far.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    numer9, OldSoul, ronbow and 15 others like this.
  10. Quantum Reason

Quantum Reason Forum Resident

Screw streaming! Bring on the blu-ray or 4k box set release of all the Get Back footage. Why fart around about it! I plan on seeing the movie in the theater if at all possible but hoping the blu-ray will contain some good stuff as bonus content. I'm guessing if they can then they will probably release more versions of Get Back than Paul's, McCartney III. A smart man would start saving up his pennies for The Beatles onslaught coming at the end of the year. This one Ain't gonna be cheap!

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have it on good authority that they could easily make a 4-hour version of the movie with no problem. Note that the original film was only 81 minutes (!!!) long.

12. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

It may be simplistic, but things work out the way they are supposed to,I guess.

13. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Would beat an aquarium or fireplace video!

edrebber, JediJones and Floater like this.
  14. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I love on YouTube when some videos of "b-roll" filmmaking footage shows up. There are certain movies like Star Wars and Superman where I, and I assume many others, would be fascinated to just watch hours and hours of the stuff, as well as all the alternate takes of scenes. And if a "channel" of that stuff was out there, I'm sure certain tidbits of interest would be found that people would siphon out and post separately.

15. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Right, It took 4 more years for Lennon to work on a project without Yoko. Mind Games, 1973.

On the other hand, McCartney would have had 3 platinum selling solo singles, Get Back, Let It Be and the Long And Winding Road and may have also released Maybe I'm Amazed and that's coming off two consecutive platinum singles with the Beatles, Lady Madonna and Hey Jude.

Floater and SunSon like this.
  16. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

17. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I was a little disappointed that it won't be a cinematic release but I am excited to see this since there will no doubt be much more unseen content.

Elliottmarx, tug_of_war and ODIrony like this.
  18. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

FVDnz and tug_of_war like this.
  19. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

So it will be a TV documentary as originally envisioned. Cool.

20. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

So Peter Jackson is jumping right to the extended version / trilogy treatment? That actually makes sense for this project. But I have to wonder if he had already prepared a shorter cinematic version, and this was a business directive from Disney to prop up their streaming platform.

I'm happy about the extended running time, but not happy about streaming. Any guesses on how long it would take to get a physical release after broadcast?

FVDnz, jmxw and ODIrony like this.
  21. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

You know the answer.

Jimbino and sgtmono like this.
  22. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

Someone on YouTube is saying it will be exclusive only to DisneyPlus -- speculating that there won't be a BluRay/DVD release. Any thoughts?

23. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

+1. They're gonna have to release it physically to get my money toward the project. They can pull that "digital only" crap if they want. Makes it easier to find. I ain't falling for the D+ carrot. Ever.

24. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Their loss. See my post above.

ODIrony likes this.
  25. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

"...For the first time ever, the rooftop performance – the Beatles’ final live performance as a group – will be seen in its entirety..."

Yeah, baby, I'm in!