Poll: Which version of Sandoval's updated Monkees book are you purchasing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Mc, Mar 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Perfect for bedtime stories :evil:

2. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

The Super Deluxe weighs in at 16 pounds, That is one very BIG Baby

3. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I appreciate the update. :cheers:

BobT and FJFP like this.
  4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Extra days?!? Extra weeks would be more appropriate to say. I get why he's doing it or whatever, but downplaying the delay isn't helping anyone. I'd rather hear "Things are delayed for a month" rather than "Just chill out for a couple more days"...

And, I wonder if it's not selling as he expected it to, because if pre-orders are still open, it looks as if the pre-orders that were supposed to be in by what was it, March 15th originally, didn't meet expectations...

Lost In The Flood, Fred1 and rlp like this.
  5. Grand_Ennui

A super-sized baby, or twins.

Fred1 and BobT like this.
  6. apple-richard

Geez what a negative Nancy. It's not like anyone has paid for it yet. It will be released eventually. Keep your shirt on.

7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Exactly. Andrew has been very upfront about the book. His response was due to others on Facebook gripping about delays. I welcome the delay because it gives me additional time to save up towards the super deluxe edition I reserved for. Cut the man some slack!

D-rock, FJFP, apple-richard and 2 others like this.
  8. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Here's how I read Andrew's reply- He wasn't going to post anything on social media for a "couple more days",and the facebook poster who commented on the update on the Beatland Books website pushed Andrew into posting about it earlier than he wanted to. There is a good chance his time was being used to get the new dates for the upcoming tour in order, and maybe the person who is updating his Beatland Books website jumped the gun( he did say he has someone helping him with answering emails about the book) on posting the new timing.
    Pre-orders are just the reservations being moved to pre-orders. Anyone who cancels (like people who don't want to pay $200+ for shipping outside the US) will be removed, and people on the waiting list will be moved up to pre-order status.
    Andrew is only printing to the number of copies he has on the reservation list+ a few more of each. If he wanted more copies ordered, he would have extended the reservation time. He did also say that the books are already being printed. That, to me, signifies a set number of copies. No need to get upset or anything, the book is in motion, it will be a matter of a few days (or weeks) before we know the exact amount of how much to pay and when it will be coming...:righton:

9. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

Self publishing / worldwide delivery of a book this size is likely to have possible minor complications along the way. Along with Andrew's day job (Monkees Tour Manager) coming back to life the past few weeks at 100MPH, it appears that the delay really comes down to him wanting to make this the best possible presentation possible and trying to formalize the shipping logistics to run as smoothly as possible once that process begins. I'm certain that this is going to be THE Monkee tome/collectible we've all wanted, but never thought could happen... 740PAGES??!!! Go Andrew!!!!

RobRoyF, Hep Alien, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

$200 for shipping outside the US?
    Just checking - we are still talking about a book and nobody changed the topic to grand pianos or large dogs?

11. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I missed this exchange on facebook. interesting....
    • Facebook poster
      Andrew Sandoval will they stay in print on your site? We need more unreleased alternate takes On vinyl.
    • it is a limited run of 2000 books. The book will not stay in print.

12. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Not necessarily the price- Just used that as an example... Andrew did say that shipping to some countries was more than the price of the book. Another reason for the delay. He is trying to get the best shipping options/pricing he can.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    D-rock, Fred1, FredV and 1 other person like this.
  13. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I put my name and email on that list months ago. I assume I'll be contacted when the book is ready to be shipped?

14. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Yup - that's the drill!

D-rock likes this.
  15. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

When it is time to pay for the book, or if you decline- then your book goes to someone on the waiting list to pick up.Shippment would be shortly thereafter I would assume.

16. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Good, I definitely still want it. Don't know if I'll actually read the whole thing as it's not designed as a narrative and I've read every other Monkees book - but it'll look good sitting on my shelf next to various other Monkees ephemera.

BobT likes this.
  17. apple-richard

I send records around the world to friends of mine from my personal collection. Australia, Finland, Germany, UK and Canada to name a few. Sending 5 LPs is usually around $75 to $100. The Super Deluxe is one hefty tome. I can see where shipping would be north of $100. Some will opt out because of high shipping cost. A friend in Germany recently sent me a 5 LP Tangerine Dream box set and two other records. The cost was 100 Euros. I sent 12 LPs to a buddy in Michigan for under $6. International shipping is not like media mail in the US.

FJFP likes this.
  18. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I am hoping for a few choices for shipping in the US. I want to get it as soon as possible in the best shape possible. So, no media mail if I can help it- I am in for Fedex next day air if it is available!

RobRoyF, D-rock, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

Glad you clarified that-I found the part about "pre-orders" to be the most confusing part of the message-What you said here makes sense.

BobT likes this.
  20. Grand_Ennui

Yeah, how dare I say I'd rather flat out hear it's being delayed a month rather than having been told it's only a "couple more days"...

Did I not say I said I get why he's doing what he's doing? Also, where and when did I even imply that anyone's paid for it yet? If I did, please point it out to me.

21. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Good to know he’s working hard on getting the shipping right. I wouldn’t be shocked if he could find a way to get all the EU orders moved in bulk to a spot, and then shipped out from there. Preferably the UK ones separate of that too to the UK. I know this book will just increase in value anyway, but obviously value will always be ideal, especially when the money is only going to the postal services.

apple-richard likes this.
  22. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Heads up - Andrew said he'd be posting an update regarding all this over the weekend.

dangiedr, BobT, FredV and 7 others like this.
  23. rlp

rlp Forum Resident

24. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Monkees Book Ordering News:

The good news is The Monkees: The Day-By-Day Story is in production after last minute additions and polishing. It is now 740 pages! For those who reserved the super deluxe edition, the supplement has swelled to 40 pages – it really looks great! You can see samples of the 3 different editions of the book at www.beatlandbooks.com – I will try and upload some further videos later in the weekend.

The increased size means that all of the costs of the book went up, but I will of course honor the original prices if you pre-order your book between now and June 30th. Now the not so great news: although production is on schedule to be completed in June as promised, the books will not arrive at the Port of Long Beach (where they filmed Head in April 1968) until July and the printer is estimating it may take a full 3 or 4 weeks for the container to make a short trek to the nearby shipping center. This is due to increased traffic in the port since the pandemic. That means late July or early August shipping for the preorders.

Many people have written and wondered why they would need to preorder if they already reserved a book. The fact of the matter is that no one has actually paid for their books yet (that is except for me)! So, if you are sincere about buying a book, the store is now open. We will keep track of all orders and anyone who doesn’t pre-order will lose their reservation on June 30th. You may chose to wait to order if any stock is left on the books, but the prices will go up $25 on each edition (to reflect my increased production costs). I am only making 2,000 books and will suspend all sales in September when I focus fully on producing the Monkees’ tour. This is it! I have no plans to keep the book in print – I will NOT be doing a digital version. It is a limited edition collector’s book that should retain its value.

My team and I actually took extra time with not only the contents of the book, but also how it would ship to you. This book will be shipped by a professional facility and not by me personally. Because of the physical size of the book, shipping outside of the United States is quite expensive. I was in shock when I first saw the rates and went the extra mile to get better prices wherever I could, but I do not set the rates of shipping or fuel or control the universe. I know!

These are the simple facts:

740 page Flexibound Open Edition weighs 11 pounds – boxed 14x10x3.5 inches
    740 page signed & numbered Deluxe Edition in a Slip Cover weighs 13 pounds – boxed 14.5x10x3.5 inches
    740 page signed & numbered Super Deluxe Edition with extra 40 page booklet weighs 16 pounds – boxed 15.5x11x4.5 inches

You may now turn your reservation into a preorder at our shop: Preorder Your Book – beatland books This is the only way to guarantee you will get one of the 2,000 books being produced. Note: If you do not act on your reservation by June 30, 2021 it will be considered abandoned. If you wish to change your order or quantity at this time, you may do it in your pre-order. If you signed up for our waitlist, you may also preorder now and we will take you off of the waitlist.

Because so many people changed their reservations and made excessive multiple reservations, we are not sending out individual invoices. Pick what you want from the shop and we will consider your reservation fulfilled. If you do not preorder a book by June 30th we will know you do not wish to keep your reservation and we will release more books for preorder.

How much do the books cost? Preorder prices are $75 for the flexibound/$175 for the Deluxe in Slipcover/$225 for Super Deluxe in clamshell case with additional 40-page book. Shipping and tax are calculated once you place the book(s) in your cart.

We do not offer combined shipping; each book comes individually boxed and with Priority mail on the Flexibound and Deluxe, we found the Medium flat rate box was the best option, but it only allowed one book per box. There is no other flat rate box that fits this book and no flat rate box that fits the Super Deluxe. Media Mail is also an option in the United States.

I think you will love the book! I showed the samples to Michael & Micky and they were both shocked at the size and price (they each told me I didn’t charge enough - lol)! Looking forward to you having your book – let the preorders begin - visit Preorder Your Book – beatland books

25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I already got my pre-order in for the SD Edition. So looking forward to it! :goodie:

Fred1, D-rock and apple-richard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.