INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Salvation Jane: This would of been a good fit on the X album. When I first heard it on the Best Of comp (and later Definitive) It instantly became a favorite of mine.

Tight:
    For years it was the Dan the Automator version that I listened to. That version was okay, a bit stuffed production-wise; I felt it was out of place on the comp. Once I finally heard the original, I too found it the best one out there.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Oct 2002

Stay Young 1979–1982
    [​IMG]

Compilation album by
    INXS
    Released 11 October 2002
    Recorded 1979–1982
    Genre Rock
    Label Raven
    Producer Duncan McGuire Richard Clapton Mark Opitz INXS

Stay Young 1979–1982 or Stay Young 1979–1982: The Complete 'Deluxe Years' is a two disc compilation by Australian rock group INXS's earlier works, when they were signed to the Deluxe label. It features their first two studio albums, INXS (October 1980) and Underneath the Colours (October 1981), along with associated b-sides "We Are the Vegetables", "Scratch", "The Unloved One", "Lacavocal" and "Prehistoria".[1]

Disc one
    1. "Simple Simon"
    2. "On a Bus"
    3. "Doctor"
    4. "Just Keep Walking"
    5. "Learn to Smile"
    6. "Jumping"
    7. "In Vain"
    8. "Roller Skating"
    9. "Body Language"
    10. "Newsreel Babies"
    11. "Wishy Washy"
    12. "The Loved One"
    13. "Stay Young"
    14. "Horizons"
    15. "Big Go Go"
    16. "Underneath the Colours"
    17. "Fair Weather Ahead"
    18. "Night of Rebellion"
    19. "Follow"
    20. "Barbarian"
    21. "What Would You Do"
    22. "Just to Learn Again"
    Disc two
    1. "We Are the Vegetables"
    2. "Scratch"
    3. "The Unloved One"
    4. "Lacavocal"
    5. "Prehistoria"
    6. "Telefone"
    7. "Silent Night"
    8. "Breakaway"
    9. "Reckless Ways" (live)
    10. "Pretzel Logic" (live)
    11. "Reasons" (live)
    12. "Feeling Good" (live)
    13. "Miss Shapiro/You Really Got Me" (live)
    14. "On a Bus" (live)
    15. "The One Thing" (live)
    16. "Speed Kills"
    17. "Underneath the Colours" (Chicken Mix)
    18. "Barbarian"
    19. "Just Keep Walking"
    20. "In Vain"
    21. "Stay Young"
    --------------------------------------------
    This seems like a much more feasible collection for the band to put out. We have a bunch of tracks that represent the band prior to anyone except Australians really knowing who they were.
    We have a bunch of tracks that document the early years of the band really well.

I haven't actually got this, and to be honest prior to the thread I wasn't even aware of it, but just a quick look through gives us a pretty comprehensive overview of the band's early years, and as most of that stuff had gone by the wayside since the Kick years, and even before, this works as a very good overview of the band's pre-fame years, and in my opinion it is a period of time not to be overlooked.

Anyway, I am sure some of you guys have this, so please give us an overview of what you think about this collection .....what they did right, what they did wrong .... whatever your thoughts regarding this release are, please share them with us.

Cheers guys
    Mark

ARK, The MEZ and Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD like this.
  3. mark winstanley

4. mark winstanley

5. mark winstanley

6. mark winstanley

7. mark winstanley

8. mark winstanley

9. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Looks like a great set of material. I just checked Discogs -- it goes for about 100.00 to 180.00 dollars. Sorry, all their b-sides should be gathered and released properly.

ARK and mark winstanley like this.
  10. mark winstanley

agreed

ARK likes this.
  11. Bluepicasso

-
    Asked a question on his FB page about it. I'm his staff will ignore. Ha.

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

Yea. Those pages seem generally set for little promo things, and not much more.

I don't think I have ever gotten a response from anyone about anything I have sent.... whether emails or posts to pages.

Bluepicasso likes this.
  13. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I wish I'd known about this when it came out. But I'm certainly not paying the $100+ it goes for now.

Bluepicasso and mark winstanley like this.
  14. mark winstanley

Same

15. mark winstanley

16. Bluepicasso

mark winstanley likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

Yea, I hadn't checked that.
    There are some crazy things going on since .... well ... let's leave that one alone....

Bluepicasso likes this.
  18. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Thanks for the discogs tip, but at this point in my life, there is no album (or in my case CD) in the world for which I'd pay even $30 (per disc). I don't remember the last time I went as high as $20. There's too much available music that isn't expensive!

Bluepicasso and mark winstanley like this.
  19. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

What I find frustrating about that collection is I'd love to hear the rest of the Wanda Beach concert and it's only just 2 songs included. :shake:

I could understand why the b-sides aren't released in a collection. A lot of people would find a lot of those tracks weird and not so listenable probably.

20. mark winstanley

Yea, I guess that was probably more for one of those fan club releases, back in the day.
    Perhaps some horm of comprehensive box may be looked at, at some point... I could see it working in that setting.

The interesting thing I'm finding, is that a lot of post Thieves/Kick fans are that enamoured with the earlier stuff, or so it seems...... so the b-sides would probably throw them for a real loop lol

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  21. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

I also remember buying this the day it was released. Stay Young: The Deluxe Years (1979-1982), is a near perfect collection of material from this era and showcases how INXS not only started to develop their sound but how exceptional of a live band they were, even at this stage in their career. And of course, since INXS' first two albums didn't sell well and almost entirely appeal to hard-core fans, it's no surprise that this collection is now OOP and sells for high prices on reseller & auction sites, etc. My copy is in virtual mint condition. Earlier in this thread, I enjoyed typing out the album & single track by track comments from various band members. And I'm still amazed at how excellent the extensive liner notes & artwork are...

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  22. mark winstanley

This should have been aren't :)

23. mark winstanley

Telefone

I don't believe this came up prior to now.

Interestingly this sounds quite a bit like Mi Sex to me. That would be understandable as Mi Sex would likely have just had a couple hits with You Don't Care and the huge Computer Games.
    This is an interesting concoction with a very cool bassline and a solid bit of drumming, some nice usage of guitar, keys and some sfx.
    We get a really interesting little instrumental section that draws a lot of different influences to my ear.
    This isn't a rock classic, but I reckon its pretty cool.

24. drsmuts

drsmuts Forum Resident

I wonder with Chris Murphy now sadly deceased whether we'll ever get anymore apart from the odd new record company greatest hits.

Would love a Kick live tour release for example.

25. mark winstanley

Silent Night

This again is very tied into the whole New Wave kind of sound and it is also an interesting track. The guys were never afraid to pack a whole lot into a song. Here we have a pretty solid song.