Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2020-2021 46th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

The best comical performers last night were Statler and Waldorf.
    They should make them regulars next season and let them interject comments throughout the whole show…

OldSoul, Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I agree, last night was an all around solid episode. I also wondered how much input the host had with the creation of the show.

altaeria and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. The ending ‘stage bow’ of last night’s episode confused me - I thought I heard Keegan-Michael Key say something like it was the last episode, looking forward to next season and have a nice summer but I knew there is one more episode left in this season. Maybe he thought last night’s was the last?

Atmospheric and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i think what he meant to say and what he actually said were different. after he said it you didn't hear him say something like "well i hope to be back next year and see you" ?

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I thought a lot of last night seemed a bit forced and protracted, but I liked the cold open, update, and the Michael Jordan "Last Dance" bits. Keegan-Michael Key was game, but I don't think the material was that good.

RickH, jpelg and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Last night bored me to the max, and after a five week break (I didn't watch Elon), I realized I really don't need this show, as it is. Unless five, or so, cast members leave (and some writers leaving wouldn't hurt), this next episode will be my last for some time. I've seen everything some of these writers and cast can give us way too many times to give a crap anymore.

This is why I wish they'd actually reboot the show every now and then. I can watch a bad season with mostly new people doing new stuff, but I'm not about to watch the third bad season in a row from ten-year veterans.

7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

8. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

They really do need to be freshening up that cast. Turnaround has been a better thing for this series. Overstaying = stale.
    That said, though, I did enjoy several episodes this season, or at least finding content in some which I did enjoy, having some chuckles; (I don't recall if they were really hearty LOL moments), including the Elon Musk one.

I completely align w/that article. I was reading the earlier posts, a number of which gave this episode glowing reviews & was like, "Did we watch the same show?" o_O:winkgrin: (Though I don't sit through the episode; I view the sketches on youtube sometime after b/c that way I easily skip what isn't working for me.)

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. OldSoul

I definitely have loved a few episodes from this season, but I still have felt like I'm wasting my time during most episodes, recently, and I'm back to being embarrassed to even admit I watch the show. There's just nothing keeping me attached. That said, if Kate, Aidy, and Cecily all leave (and probably at least two other people from pre-season 42), they'll at least get me back for the season premiere. If it's practically the same cast, though, I'm not gonna bother.

RickH, LilacTeardrop and Paper Shark like this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I almost never blame cast members. I think the writing in general has been pretty poor for a long time now. Actors can only do so much with bad material.

Dillydipper likes this.
  11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Musk kicked Keegan's butt ratings wise. SNL has a tradition of "stunt-casting" sports figures and politicians to host who are terrible in sketches.

SNL can't really steal Muppet characters without permission as regulars. I guess there's a parody exemption like the human baby yoda desk bit or Eddie Murphy Gumby.

They sent Kermit plus voice actor, the S+W puppets but the W&S voices were actually SNL cast.

12. OldSoul

Writers can only write so much for people who do or are known for certain things.

13. OldSoul

Kermit was Kyle Mooney.

Shawn, czeskleba and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I only recorded last weekend’s show because Keegan was hosting but even he couldn’t bring back a spark that’s been missing for a long time. Opening monologue wasn’t that great and it dissolved into silliness when they broke into song, which I skipped. Keegan was severely under-utilized when I was expecting his Mad TV- level comedy (would have been cool to see him do a Coach Hines skit on SNL, for example). The only skit I enjoyed was the Muppets with Key & Kenan...everything else was totally forgettable.

sixtiesstereo and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Everything you said is how I felt. Missed opportunity by the writers to not fully utilize an immense talent
    like Keegan. He and Jordan Peel (together) on MadTV and then their own show was comedy gold.
    And I too "assumed" they would have him do Coach Hines, but no luck.

Matthew Tate, Shawn and RickH like this.
  16. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

And as I mentioned in my above post, this 12:00 compilation of Keegan's best as Coach Hines
    is what SNL "could" have done with him. But, as usual, they screwed up big time...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I remember back when you were so excited to see the show live. But, I agree. The show used to be better and I have skipped most of this season. Next season needs a reboot.

OldSoul likes this.
  18. PrancyTheWonderBug

PrancyTheWonderBug Forum Resident

Is it not common that a network will own the rights to an original character from one of it's shows? Dana Carvey couldn't do "Church Lady" on his ABC show, for example.

Shawn, kouzie and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  19. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

"The movies..."

Matthew Tate and aorecords like this.
  20. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Reverting back to the old aspect ratio for the Hollywood Squares sketch was a nice touch.

ex_mixer and dlokazip like this.
  22. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes he did

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I was pretty bored last night until Update. Wow! That was hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing. Every sketch after was solid and full of laughs. What a way to finish the season.

OldSoul and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

25. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

The good news is most will probably be surprise guests before Halloween and the audience can scream like they do every time Kristen Wiig comes back.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.