Question about ATLP7

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lenny99, May 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free. Thread Starter

Are any of u know anything specific about the ATLP7 from Audio Technica. I read a lot of reviews, naturally all good, lol.

I was considering the purchase. I like the look, the stats and reviews are good. But I’d like to get some real world experience if possible.

Thanks in advance.

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Ive also only seen positivity towards it. But I dont very much like that its a belt drive. Have you considered the PLX 1000?

3. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I have owned the AT-LP7 since it came out and it is close to 3 years. It is a fantastic turntable and I have had no issues with it. I have the VM95ML cartridge mounted on it.

[​IMG]

33na3rd, Andy Saunders and MikeInFla like this.
  4. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Wow, that's a nice TT but way out of my price range. I have had an AT-LP120 since 2014 or so and it has been good for me, no issues at all. Something that looks somewhat similar to the LP7 is the Fluance R81. That might be my next one, if the LP120 dies. But if it were to be in budget the LP7 is a very nice piece of equipment.

McLover and rockin_since_58 like this.
  5. Leonthepro

Id think the R81 might even be a downgrade from the LP120. You can be happy with that table just fine if there are no issues and you use a stand alone phono stage.

L.P., McLover, BluTorch and 1 other person like this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

WAY TOO MUCH MONEY for Ya Horng OEM drive system and a Technics knock off tonearm. Forget it.

For a little bit more you can do much better. For the same money I would also look into serviced vintage decks if you are comfortable going that route.

McLover likes this.
  7. BluTorch

BluTorch Forum Resident

I have had one for about two years. It replaced a problematic PLX-1000.

I'm quite happy with it. The tonearm isn't a knock off of a Technics. It's J-shaped, AT designed it, and it's similar in shape to the ones they made in the 70s. It is fairly long, 9.8". I use a AT headshell with a AT VM750SH cartridge. I have not used the built in preamp. I use a Musical Fidelity LX-LPS. Sounds fantastic thru a Cambridge CXA60 and ELAC Uni-fi bookshelves.

It's strength is that it is quiet and the Delrin platter does a good job in terms of isolation. The table has a servo in it to regulate speed. The feet are adjustable. Be aware that the dustcover does not have hinges, you have to fully remove it. I keep it off.

The included cartridge is pretty decent. Plus you can upgrade it to a VM540ML just with a stylus change.

I also have a VPI Traveler. I keep the AT-LP7 in my main system. It's solid, and I prefer it's sound to the Traveler.

TheMovieRad, goer, Lucca90 and 2 others like this.
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

AT is not a turntable manufacturer. The turntables they sell, especially the lower priced stuff, are a huge cash cow for the company. They are mostly made by Hanpin and Ya Horng.

Here are some examples of old AT tonearms from decades ago. AT has not been in the tonearm business for decades at this point and these arms are nothing at all like what you get on the LP7 or any other AT branded Hanpin or Ya Horng.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The FRiNgE, McLover and audiomaniac like this.
  9. Lenny99

I bought the LP7. It just arrived. I Orin won’t get it up and running till later. But, from what I’ve read this should work quit well.

Of course, the proof is in the sound. We will see and I will report back.

BluTorch and MikeInFla like this.
  10. Leonthepro

Should sound about like your other tables.

11. Lenny99

hi: no Mat?

12. BluTorch

BluTorch Forum Resident

No mat. The platter has a cutout for the label. Record right on the Delrin platter.

Have Fun!!

13. Lenny99

Cool.

14. Lenny99

I don’t expect a big change.

15. Lenny99

I gave all ur suggestions some thought. But for my situation I went with the LP 7. I have 60 days to return the table so, we shall see.

I have done some research. It came out in 2018 to some very good reviews. Since then it is a highly rated TT. Several sights rate it as the best TT in its price range. Some state the best under $1000.

I always take reviews with a grain of salt. That’s why I ask those who have the TT about the sound etc. I have not received response from an owner who was disappointed.

It’s been around for three years so I think if there were problems they would have been exposed.

Even all of that’s not proof. So listening is the bottom line. I’ll give it s spin. The thing is, it hit the perfect price point for me. I checked out several other TTs. I really liked the NAD, but in the end, the 7 won out.

MikeInFla and rockin_since_58 like this.
  16. Lenny99

Thanks for all ur input. I respect and appreciate all opinions.

goer and rockin_since_58 like this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

60 days should be more than enough time to decide if you like it or not. If you are not satisfied, return.

Yeah, you would think so, but that's not always the case. We've had a number of products brought up time and time again for problems over nearly 10 years or so, but people keep buying them.

18. Stanton56

Stanton56 Forum Resident

Nice table that AT7,but i guess I’m an AT Fanboy cause I’m impressed with my ATLP140XP. Look forward to your review.

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Top and bottom arm in top condition for me perform to high standard all day long. Day in and day out. At home, and in working life. Middle arm is also superb (but I do need that headshell option).

20. rockin_since_58

It is designed to be used without a mat but do use one. I just made and adjust to the VTF to compensate. I tried both ways and didn't notice any difference.

21. rockin_since_58

My LP7 replaced a Rega Planar 1 that I was never happy with. The LP7 is light years ahead of the Rega in sound quality.

22. rockin_since_58

I also have the LP3 which performs very well. I use it for non-critical listening for the convenience of being fully automatic.

23. Lenny99

Well, after a few albums I can say the LP 7 is a hit. So far I have noticed better stereo imaging and separation. The stylus rides smooth. No skipping even when I walked around the room. I even stomped on the floor. None of those vibrations seemed to be transferred to the stylus.

I heard more detail on the sax on “Us and Them” from album, “Dark Side of the Moon” than with my other setups. The bass on a Lissie album, “Back to Forever” was clear. Before, with the AT WM40M turntable the bass was so booming even with the bass control on the Yamaha integrated amp I was unable to get it toned down. Cymbals clashes sound a little clearer.

Now, that’s after two albums. It’s got a ways to go before I’ll say it’s a better TT. I have several other albums I like to use to evaluate a new component. I’ll try to get better critical listening in tonight.

That was a problem (if you want to consider it a problem). Last night I got a bit carried away with the music. Especially on side 2 of “Dark Side of the Moon”. The imaging was so good, the way one portion of the music shifted from speaker to speaker while the background music staying equally balanced, I just closed my eyes and let it carry me away.

If have to say it was the best I have heard that album sound. And I’ve played it a good bit.

Anyway, some of that maybe attributed to the cart, etc. I’ll do more listening and provide a few more updates.

24. Lenny99

Why do u suggest I use a mat?

25. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

I'm not entirely sure how the Fluance RT81 is similar to the Audio Technica LP7, other than the fact that they're both belt-driven turntables. The LP7 costs much more, sounds (I'm assuming) much better, and has more adjustments to suit higher end cartridges. Your LP120 probably sounds better than the Fluance RT81.

MikeInFla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.