Dead Oppo 205 on ebay up to almost $1200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by moomoomoomoo, May 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Maybe time to sell the Oppo for £5K and buy a Reavon?

audiomixer likes this.
  2. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I wouldn’t even consider dumping my 203 or 205 until we find out how the Reavon works out. The release date is already being pushed back.

We have no idea whether the Reavon will even be dependable. Will they have problems playing 4k discs? Even Sony & Pioneer had problems with players freezing on 4k playback. Will Reavon support these things with FW updates? Who’s going to service them?

Too many questions haven’t been answered yet.

3. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

Wow, just checked on 203 prices. They're insane! Still, not going to sell my 203. Use it for 4K movies / BR and as a transport. Works perfectly in that regard.

hi_watt likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I always keep my eyes open for a cheap thrift shop used OPPO!

5. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident

Oppo products are going through the same hair-raising inflation as Nakmichi Dragon cassette decks, Studer A810 R2Rs, and a host of other media-playing machines. Sellers are selling used, non-working "parts-only" machines for many thousands of dollars.
    Obviously this makes no sense.
    SO, the question is why? Why is there such a high demand and no companies will enter into the marketplace and produce these products?
    Here's a suggestion: the streamers are creating an environment in which hard media is downplayed and companies that produce media players are urged to abandon their efforts.
    No proof, just suspicions.
    Who has it in their best interests for all media machines to evaporate?
    Only streamers, I suspect. Meaning, the business forces behind streaming. And the pressure doesn't have to be direct. It can just be "the only way of the future," or "this is the way the music business can be made to work," or any number of other manipulative arguments.
    But people like hard media, many of us much prefer it to streaming, and the machines necessary for play are getting harder and harder to locate and buy. I know -- have bought 8 of them this last year and it is a full-time endeavor to locate, ship, and fix the older decks.

latheofheaven likes this.
  6. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

This is not a replacement for Oppo. At least not for 205. Noise level is 9 dB higher. Not even close to state of the art 205 was.

7. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Could we see Oppo prices like the 205 and 105D go even higher ? That would be nuts. I mean I can’t see someone paying 8k plus for a 205. Insanity. I mean I understand it’s getting tough to get really high quality hard media machines but wow !! I guess we will soon find out

8. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo Thread Starter

Looks good. Wonder where they are going to price it. I'm glad their are co's still doing this.

9. moomoomoomoo

Maybe a miracle will happen & the Chinese owners will see what these are selling for & restart production. Right now I could & likely would pay $2500 for a new 205.

10. moomoomoomoo

I have a 2011 BDP 95. They seem to be selling used for close what they sold for new.

MikeJedi likes this.
  11. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I’ll never part with my 103.....so easy to rip my sacds thru the network connection.

gd0, MikeJedi and audiomixer like this.
  12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

My 103 has a little problem with the SACD layer on a couple of discs. My hundreds of others load fine.

OnTheRoad likes this.
  13. moomoomoomoo

If you have an 03 & get the chance to trade up to an 05; there is a major upgrade in the sound.

14. Meatface

Meatface Forum Resident

They currently have my 105D for a repair. $119 flat rate fee that includes return shipping. The unit is 9 years old & never had a problem. There is a 90 day guaranty that covers any issue, even if it's not related to their repair.
    They contact you at every stage to let you know the status. Pretty impressive.

15. moomoomoomoo

Agreed. I've been pleased with both repairs.

Meatface and MikeJedi like this.
  16. fireprix

fireprix Forum Resident

Maybe nit picking but no HDCD decoding like the Oppo if that would matter to anyone.

17. audiolistener

audiolistener i like vinyl and cds

out of the loop here, can someone explain like im 5, what is so great about this player?

18. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Multi-channel SACD play via RCA output is the reason I bought my 205, not having an HDMI Pre-Pro, but instead an analog multi-channel preamplifier (Sony TA-P9000ES).

19. moomoomoomoo

As long as my cd player works, I'm good on HDCD. It appears there are no more parts left for my Esoteric P-10 transport, so next time it goes, it's probably gone.

20. moomoomoomoo

They played almost every audio & video format there is, had the best sq for the price EVER, were ridiculously cheap, & are no longer made.

A true high end audio AND video player for $1200! my 95 had a $1k list, & I got an open box in 2011 for $800!

21. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Didn’t Oppo drop HDCD on later models?

22. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Yes, the 20x series doesn’t have it.

23. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Perhaps it's just me, but I would send the Oppo in and have Oppo fixed the problem for the relative low cost while they are still around.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  24. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I have a 105D and a 203 for UHD I rarely use the 203. It started occasionally several times per movie the audio drops out for a second only for MKV UHD files the original disc all play fine. It didn't used to do that, is it a problem or just a makemkv issue?

25. I guess DVD players don't have the same call than the Blu Ray's. I scored an OPPO DV 980H for 40$ bucks on Kijiji.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.