Yes Union Live 30 disc megaset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonylevin'ssuitcase, Feb 26, 2021.

1. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

2. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

That was my very last time I saw Yes as well. The audience went crazy towards the end of 'And You And I' and they kept clapping and wouldn't let the band finish the song. Finally the crowd settled down and Jon finished the song with Rick playing some keyboards to back Jon up. The confusion on stage was whether or not to play past 11Pm. If a band plays past 11PM the band gets a huge fine and the employees at the Garden get double time. I had back stage passes to that show and Rick came in and said 'Well we just played that show for free!!'.

3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Geffen? Wasn't the album on Arista?

ARK and KngCrmsn22 like this.
  4. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

This tour sucked and I'm a huge fan. The only plus was we got to see BB again but he looked so bored. No thanks. Union tour made the Talk tour look like yessongs.

Fred1 likes this.
  5. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

That's why they were so upset....

6. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Just seen that this morning €97 delivered :). I was actually going to cancel as I don`t "need" it(!), but this is the forum for nutters :).

imarcq likes this.
  7. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

Yes, my mistake ;)

8. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I just got an email from the distributor Glue Music, that the release date for both CD and Vinyl boxes are now June 29 due to production issues. Wonder if Amazon will eventually have enough to sell?

bodicus and apple-richard like this.
  9. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I hope that means additional content.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  10. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Nope, they have all been manufactured and shipped from China, I've seen the photos.

Pics and tracklist of the final edition have been posted previously in this thread.

11. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I was there too. No backstage pass, but I could tell Howe was furious when they blew past the curfew. If I remember correctly, Jon went on and on about The Divine Mother, who was there, and that's a big part of why the show didn't end on time. I thought Steve was going to strangle JA right there on the stage.

It's a shame - probably the biggest crowd they played to in the US on that tour. It was a pretty hot show too - better than the professionally filmed/recorded Tsongas gig.

ausamerika likes this.
  12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Capturing average/off-nights for live videos seems to be Yes' trademark. I saw the 2004 tour in Detroit and it also was better/tighter than the Tsongas show. Oh well.

PhoffiFozz and misteranderson like this.
  13. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Off-topic but was anything recorded/released from the "Masterworks" tour? Not that I can find, but maybe I've missed it. I'm a slightly second generation fan so I only got to see the band in 1990 (ABWH), twice in 1991, once in 1994, around 2000 (Masterworks I think), and around 2003. For me, that 2000 show was incredible, the best Yes concert that I got to see. The setlist was amazing and the band was relatively on fire.

14. misteranderson

Nothing official yet from Masterworks. There was an FM b'cast from Holmdel, NJ July 19, 2000. I was there. They were excellent.

SRC likes this.
  15. The band had some bad luck at The Tsongas Arena -the AC was broken and it was a hot sweaty night in there. I had to keep myself hydrated by drinking copious amounts of beer. Rick seemed in a less than great mood, but I thought Jon was at least as good as I have ever seen or heard him (I saw them live for the Tormato, 90125, Union, Symphonic, 2002 and 35th Anniversary tours).

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  16. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Was this the show where someone (a roadie perhaps?) walked around the front of the stage during the concert and Rick took him to task toward the back of the stage?

I saw that in some video concert, but can’t recall which one... only that Rick seemed totally pissed at someone in the crew and wasn’t hiding it while the show was going on. I always wondered what the story was.

17. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes that show was amazing and much better then the Tsongas show. I asked Alan after the show what he thought about Jon bringing the Divine Mother on stage and Alan said Jon will be Jon. He didn't seem ticked off at all.

ausamerika likes this.
  18. walrus

There's a pre-FM source floating around there that's basically as good as an official release. ;) (Actually, quite possibly better than an official release since it's not mastered loudly)

SRC likes this.
  19. I don't remember any incident with a roadie, but I was about 20 rows back.

20. walrus

That sucks. I can't imagine being in a good mood playing a 3-hour indoor show with no A/C (let alone the added stress of knowing you're being filmed/recorded). Glad I saw the tour though, it's the only time I ever got to see any 'classic' Yes lineup. (That was the first time since I'd discovered the band that Yes had played anywhere but Pine Knob, which I refused to see them at)

21. misteranderson

I have a tape or CD of the broadcast. I think Ritual was left out? When I did find a version with Ritual, it wasn't up to the quality of the rest.

Is this pre-FM source complete?

22. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Jon was actually sick for that show and he still sounded great. Rick was ticked that he couldn't wear his usual jacket which has sparkles on it. The head of the film crew made him change his clothes.

ARK, ausamerika and Pete Puma like this.
  23. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

What does any of this have to do with the Union Tour and this box set?

24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I was at Tsongas and the show seemed in real time to be a mess. Couple of false starts, notable tension, lack of AC and a way undersold house to boot. Amazing the DVD came out so good. It was a great setlist though, possibly the best of any tour since 1980.

25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Some light entertainment before the main feature.

ARK and SRC like this.