Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream (She’s The One OST reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Saul Pimon, Apr 7, 2021.

1. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

A prediction--Everything that has been released under the Wildflowers , All the Rest, Finding Wildflowers and She's the One/Angel Dream rubrics will one day (5-10 years) be re-released ( along with some recently "found" demos, run-throughs, false-starts, alternate endings and a missing track or two, along with more live versions) all at once in a MASSIVE box entitled something like Excavating Wildflowers and many of us will buy it and complain before and after.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  2. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Too bad the black vinyl version on TP website does not include any digital download. It's also listed as the final chapter in the Wildflowers related releases. ??

Arete411 likes this.
  3. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I found this funny.

Adria has a daughter named Everly, who Tom was hoping to spend more time with after the 2017 tour.

ARK, faceinthecrowd and JoeF. like this.
  4. Bakeryrec

Bakeryrec Forum Resident

Definitely grabbing this. Not sure about all the myriad complaints I’m reading here…it’s not like this release will sneak into your record collections and erase your OG versions of the She’s The One soundtrack. It’s almost like there is a perverse enjoyment in complaining. There are actually lots of folks born since these releases came out and are, or will be discovering TP & The Heartbreakers for the first time. I’ve been following him since like 1980 and welcome the new look and approach to his catalog for new generations. You are still allowed to listen to the originals. The cover complaints are really funny, first world problems…I mean…the easiest thing to say is “Tom wouldn’t have approved that…” Since he’s not here, that’s pretty much unprovable. He approved Let Me Up (I’ve Had Enough) , I assume…which in my opinion, is hideous. But you know thing about opinions…

Looking forward to Ryan’s insights on this new cool archival revision. Have fun guys..,it’s a hobby…it is supposed to be fun. Yeesh.

5. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Yeah I co-sign this. Altering the running order is one thing, but taking songs that were on the original She's the One soundtrack OFF? That makes no sense, even if they are repeats of stuff in the Wildflowers box set, they shouldn't be trimmed from their original homes on the soundtrack? Seems to defeat the purpose of a soundtrack. The bonus content is cool though. Not a fan of the cover (surely there are better portraits of Tom from that time period or a new painting or art of Tom by a talented artist could have been commissioned?), so I'm passing on a physical purchase on this one.

MechanicalAnimal6 and JoeF. like this.
  6. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

As stated in the press release, it is no longer being viewed internally as a soundtrack

7. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

I see.

8. KinkySmallFace1991

I could easily have seen a take on this photo as the cover, and it is from the period:
    [​IMG]

J_D__ and jammincrowe like this.
  9. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

or they could have just kept the cover, but replaced the photo's on the left and the right with the other guys in the band.
    would have looked much better than the one they are going with.

but then again, since they are Frankenstein-ing everything, they should have just put the 4
    songs we didn't have on the 'All The Rest' disc, thus just leaving the sountrack album the way it already was...

10. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

But the songs that were lifted from STO for All The Rest came from the Wildflowers session originally - so they're now back where they came from. This is then supposed to live in it's own, She's The One era, world. I know 13 Days is an exception, but it's a small exception I'm willing to take. This all makes sense in the light of Tom compiling All The Rest and then choosing not to release She's The One in HiRes when the catalog original hit the platforms. This was logically part of his plan.

11. Arete411

Arete411 Forum Resident

I deliberately waited for this to become available on the official Tom Petty site precisely because in the past they have always included the digital download with the purchase. Now they’re selling the vinyl and digital download separately? That is not cool.

Peja11 likes this.
  12. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

I’m convinced for some it’s a raison d’être.

ARK and Bakeryrec like this.
  13. GrahamBW

GrahamBW Senior Member

Then why retain the subtitle "Songs and music from the motion picture She's the One"?

To me, it was always just a proper album called She's the One. And honestly, I liked it better than Wildflowers.

So... "Walls (Circus)" is just orphaned now?

bootbox, RoyalScam, javilu77 and 6 others like this.
  14. KinkySmallFace1991

They did that with Best Of Everything , so I just said "Forget it. Can I have an outside line?" and just got the hi-res only. I will reference that compilation again in my next quoted message...

It is on Best Of Everything, so at least there will be a way to acquire it and a hi-res master exists for it, too.

bigal00769 and Arete411 like this.
  15. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

I was really hoping the Record store day cover was going to be special to that release. :( That cover leaves so much to be desired...

16. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

I don't like to be negative but they chose one of the worst Petty photograph's for this release!

17. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

This one would have been so much better! (It took me five seconds to find this shot on Google from Sebree!) I may use it as the cover for this album!

[​IMG]

18. KinkySmallFace1991

Look at that! That one is brilliant! Tom's even looking up at the sky as if he sees the Angel that this album is named after. The Martin logo on his guitar is also blurry and obscured, so no need to cover it up and reshape the headstock, either.

I'm convinced now: that photo should've been the cover. Well done, @FrankieFontaine !

jeremylr, FrankieFontaine and JoeF. like this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Perhaps some great photo editors can create a cover using this image. :)

jeremylr likes this.
  20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Excellent choice

21. MechanicalAnimal6

yeah, the idiots in charge decided "hey lets get one of the best songs from the album and the only real hit from the album....that'll make sense!!"

RoyalScam likes this.
  22. KinkySmallFace1991

Or the one that @FrankieFontaine chose. Good goodness that one is brilliant. I can't get over it.

supermd likes this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I edited my post because, yes, it's the superior photo! It really makes you scratch your head why this wasn't chosen.

24. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I will say this...….the Petty Estate, The Heartbreakers etc. They have been very active since TP's death. Every year there has been some release or reissue!

25. MechanicalAnimal6

of course, they need to keep their cash flow going, since the namesake is deceased, they need to keep pumping out things for the fans to buy to keep their lavish lifestyles going for them.

the Bowie estate is just insane and i hope the TP estate doesn't get THAT bad in the future...