Charity (thrift) shop DVD hunting

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Dec 8, 2019.

1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Masters of Cinema edition. Long-OOP, and very collectible in its BD iteration. An excellent find.

The films themselves are both superb. Sansho the Bailiff is one of the great masterpieces of Japanese classical cinema.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

You've never seen 'Dirty Harry ' or 'The Hustler '?
    Clint Eastwood and Paul Newman at their best!

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  3. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. I’m looking forward to seeing all of them.
    Thanks. Still have a backlog from the last couple of visits!
    No, never seen ‘em. I did see The Colour of Money, though.

stepeanut likes this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

' The Color of Money ' is Newman playing the same character he played in ' The Hustler ' .
    It's OK but ' The Color of Money ' co-stars Tom Cruise. ' The Hustler ' co-stars Jackie Gleason and George C Scott. Nuff said?

MC Rag likes this.
  5. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Yes, I knew it was a sequel. And Tom Cruise was off-putting...

6. Wildest cat from montana

Off-putting is putting it mildly.
    He ruined ' Werewolves of London ' for me. I can't hear that song now without picturing him strutting around a pool table. Gack!

7. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

Found a couple in Carlislethis afternoon -
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - the BBC TV mini-series.

Dave Gilmour's Cat and stepeanut like this.
  8. stepeanut

Tinker Tailor turns up every now and then in chazzas on DVD, presumably because the BBC upgraded it to BD a couple of years ago, and people like me are offloading their old copies. Great series, whatever the format.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  9. AlmostHeavenWV

First time I've come across it, although I have to admit I don't scour the DVDs as closely as I do CDs in charity shops.

10. stepeanut

My priorities are quite different. I look for BDs first, then books, then jewellery. DVDs and CDs are bottom of the list, but the DVDs are always filed with the BDs, so I see them, even though I’m not necessarily interested.

I have picked up DVDs of both Tinker Tailor and Smiley’s People for my father-in-law, and seen other copies along the way.

11. AlmostHeavenWV

Oh, I always check out books. Have found some really nice ones just lately, some in brand new condition.

stepeanut likes this.
  12. stepeanut

Excellent work.

I have not found much of anything for myself since the chazzas opened up again. But I’ve not been hitting up the full extent of my territory. I’ll get back into it in time. I already have plans in place to hit up a bunch of shops when I go for my second jab, in a few weeks’ time.

13. TheeMidnightRider

TheeMidnightRider Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not sure if my "take" on this subject is a "proper fit", but it IS very similar, in my opinion. I live in a fairly small town in Texas, USA & if there is/are "charity stores" here in my town, I'm not familiar with 'em, but there are a couple of "second hand" shops I used to frequent & our little town IS big enough to have several pawn shops. So that's where I used to get bargain DVD/VHS tapes at in the past. I'm NOT trying to boast or brag, but my collection is currently up in the thousands & that's just the videos I've got that were produced/made by actual movie companies, Sony, Columbia, etc., etc. And if it weren't for the affordable-ness of those videos, I seriously doubt my collection would be nearly as big as it is. Also, I only stated the "made by movie companies" because I also have quite a sizeable collection of videos that I recorded on my own "off air", because back in the late 70's/80's was not like today, where a person can find just about anything they want to watch online. So if a show/movie wasn't scheduled to be broadcast, then I just didn't get to see it. So with the advent of the VCR, I thought I's being crafty & recording stuff I liked for later viewing. Little did I know, store bought VHS tapes weren't the best quality for that endeavor. Plus I found out, the hard way, in a few cases, that VHS tapes DON'T "stand the test of time" all that well! Heat, cold & mishandling really take a toll on VHS magnetic tapes! So I've got NO idea as to how much video I've lost through the years, due to that! I've also got a few "DVD rips", I bought at like swap meets 'n' what not. I've also learned the value of taking good care of DVDs/Blu Rays, because I don't know about anybody else, but I learned via experience, more often than I'd care to admit, if ya DON'T take care of digital-discs, they're usually not good for anything, except chucking against a wall, in frustration, for being SO careless with them! So anyways, just thought I'd add that, if you don't mind. Sorry it turned out SO long too!!!

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  14. JonW

JonW That's just the name of the shop, love!

I have quite a few of these as well, and it's quite surprising how many of the films I have on tape have never been released on DVD (here in the UK at least). On the other hand last week I found the Brazilian film Central do Brasil/Central Station as a sealed DVD for 50p so that's one VHS I can replace. Very pleased to find that one.

15. AlmostHeavenWV

For A Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, both Special Editions, 69p each, today in Preston.

The same shop had Norah Jones Live In New Orleans, but when I checked, I found that some spotty herbert had swiped the disc.

16. JonW

JonW That's just the name of the shop, love!

Happy to find The Battle of Algiers on DVD today for 50p! :agree:

17. Dave Gilmour's Cat

£1 each in Barnardo’s:
    • Ryan Gosling film Drive (2011)
    • Jim Jarmusch’s Neil Young documentary Year of the Horse (1997)

Never watched either of them before.

stepeanut likes this.
  18. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

19. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

Both terrific.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  20. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

Directed by Martin Scorsese! It's worth watching- Cruise plays a slimy kinda guy so it works out- Newman is really great. Maybe not as good as the original but an interesting sequel nonetheless.

21. AlmostHeavenWV

All Quiet On The Western Front (the original 1930 release)
    Star Trek(2009)

25p each at a Salvation Army shop.

JonW and Karnak like this.
  22. Wildest cat from montana

What a bargain for ' All Quiet on the Western Front '!
    ' Star Trek ' not so much...

23. AlmostHeavenWV

I hummed and ha-ed over the Star Trek one. Putting it aside for a rainy day!

All Quiet...., I remember watching many years ago, so knew it was quality.

24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

The Coen Brothers ~Black Comedy Great Director. 15 DVD Chinese knockoff $4.

25. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Just picked up the "Cinderella" Blu Ray for my daughter. $1.00