Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just got a reissue of Sanford Clark's 1967 album They Call Me Country. The whole thing is included on BF's Shades compilation, but I went for a more recent reissue from Ramco/Fervor Records because a) it features several demos (including two unreleased Elvis covers from 1956) not included on BF's Sanford Clark CDs, and b) Shades has an album's worth of latter-day fare that doesn't do much for me. However, much like a sheep straying from its flock, I'm suffering the consequences for not sticking with BF. It turned out to be a CD-R and the gatefold mini-LP packaging has limited information. "Distributed worldwide by Ben Dover, Inc." indeed. May end up buying Shades after all.

It appeared on my head overnight. It pulsates when I think too hard. The doctor said not to worry about it. Have you looked into having that beard touched up, or would the cat not appreciate it?

melstapler likes this.
  2. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Ben Dover, Inc is John P. Dixon's company, who is the Arizona Music expert that has produced and annotated a lot of Bear Family cd's like the Sanford Clark releases and the Waylon live at Jd's.

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I had been thinking of trimming the beard earlier this spring, but woke up one morning to find that the cat had had kittens in it.

I'm too soft-hearted to cut it off now.

I think there are five kittens in there, but it's hard to tell.

4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Had the delightful Meet the Pearls cd, but can't find it now. Can't believe I sold it?

Anyways just got the Margie Singleton and Myrna Lorrie cds, and am in heaven. Margie Singleton makes me feel like I might have a collection of little known Patsy Cline songs.

Any chance Bear Family will issue more of these little known female singer compilations?

I have Ruth Brown and Dinah Washington collections anyways and I'm more interested country-pop material that I don't know. Molly Bee, or a quality sounding collection of Pat Hervey would get my attention

5. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

6. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

I think its safe to say that we may never again see a new box set focused on a single artist. Sounds like it is dead business now...:mudscrying:

7. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Yes it is over a year now since a box has been released.:disgust:

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

if that is true, I wonder if the Fats Domino debacle had anything to do with it,

Mosaic keeps doing it. Perhaps if Bear Family went back to slimmer soft cover books, they could manage.

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  9. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

So what on earth happened to the Connie Smith Bear Family Box set? I thought we even saw some early artwork of the box cover at one time.

melstapler likes this.
  10. Svein Arne

11. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

I already had it, but I found a copy of the Johnny Burnette Trio's "Rockabilly Boogie" at Goodwill a few weeks back. I wasn't leaving THAT on the shelf!

12. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Are we all just shuffling around this thread waiting for the next artist box to land?

I'm filling the time with a few single discs and the occasional back catalogue box but it sure feels like slim pickings at the moment. I'm sure sure those Bear boys and girls are grafting on exactly what we are all waiting for.

13. Svein Arne

14. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

If you look on Bear Family’s site, you’ll notice plenty of times in the past 10 years or so when there wasn’t a huge amount of releases. Like I’ve read, I’m sure Covid hasn’t helped with production and research. Bear is still putting out new single CDs every month as well.

I also noticed Fats Domino was in stock again earlier in the week, so if your in need of that one keep your eyes open.

15. Svein Arne

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  16. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting, a bit surprising he wouldn't use proper CDs. I guess lack of funds.
    That's one definitely worth having a backup copy.

17. The Killer

Hey Mel, there's a big piece on Campi in this month's Vintage Rock magazine, it's a hep to the jive periodical here in the U of K.

[​IMG]

18. The Killer

Just listening to The Aladdin Records Story cd that I menched upthread, thought I'd share this great song by Dirty Red called Mother Fuyer, made me smile, so a motherf***er was a thing in 1947, the dirty swines!

19. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

How neat! Aladdin Records has such a great roster of artists. Jimmy Liggins and Charles Brown are a couple of my favorite artists who recorded for the label.

'Boogie Woogie King' by Jimmy Liggins

GodBlessTinyTim and The Killer like this.
  20. melstapler

What a neat article and thanks so much for posting this! Ray remained active and athletic for most of his life, which enabled him to deliver great performances at his concerts. Some fans prefer Ray's output with Rollin' Rock, although he had some interesting recordings from every decade. It still seems so surreal to think we won't get to see Ray perform again or hear new recordings from him in this lifetime. In his final years, Ray had been self-releasing a number of CD-R collections which received little to no attention. Ray took pride in this music he recorded and it's my sincere hope that his legacy can be preserved through more compilations and hopefully a comprehensive box set in the near future.

21. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Bump....here's a reminder of what we have been craving since April 2020

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Maybe @Mychael can give some optimism to the thread

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  23. melstapler

Artist-focused box sets and also 1CD or 2CD compilations are something most of us would enjoy having more of us in the near future. I would like to see another release focusing on the later country output of first generation rocker turned country star Narvel Felts. While Narvel is still with us, it would be nice if he could contribute to a final Bear Family compilation which could provide us with the best of his later-period major label recordings.

'When A Man Loves A Woman' was released in 1987 and became Narvel's last charting single.

24. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

You just have to wait for the Big Bear's official announcement (which is being prepared right now). And yes, it's in the picture…

25. Svein Arne

She's A Hum Dum Dinger - Jimmie Davis 1930 - YouTube

AlmanacZinger and The Killer like this.