Rough Trade New York moving to ?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Mazzy, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes, I’m talking about the NYC Metropolitan and surrounding areas, including New Jersey.

I’ve frequented most of them but perhaps I’m missing one that’s better than all of the others. The NYC stores aren’t the greatest in the world.

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Is A1 open?

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Has their vinyl section gotten better? The last time I was there was in 2017/18. I thought It was weak at the time, but then again, I’m not into punk, etc.

I bought a boatload of bootleg CDs from them in the 1990s.

4. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Princeton probably counts as the Philadelphia metro area, but Princeton Record Exchange is great. After that, I'd recommend Vintage Vinyl, in Woodbridge, NJ. VV is kind of like a better version of what Rough Trade was doing, except way, way, way more stock (huge selection of CDs, too).

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yeah, I think PREX is the best. I’ve been to Vintage Vinyl several times and to me, they tend to over grade their used records. They store them in Mylar sleeves and you can only inspect the albums at the cash register.

6. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Both their new and used selections have expanded since then, but if you're not into the main genres they carry, they will be of little use to you.

Tommyboy likes this.
  7. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Yes, they definitely over-grade their records. I take them out of the sleeves at my leisure in the racks (nobody has ever reprimanded me) and I make offers on them. They either take it or they don't. They have lots of used vinyl, but I think their huge stock of new CDs and vinyl is what makes them notable. They even have a huge prog section, which is rarely encountered.

Tommyboy likes this.
  8. Danby Delight

Huh. Shows you how long since I've been. I could have sworn there was a period when they were still on Guernsey as BRX.

9. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

It has but it's never been big into mainstream music. But they have a ton of used vinyl in the basement. Cassettes too.

Tommyboy likes this.
  10. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

PREX is good and I've often found some gems in there that weren't overpriced. They can get very busy though as one of the larger stores in the area, and next to the University.

Tommyboy likes this.
  11. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

30 Rock? One of the highest rents in NYC. Somebody must have bought them. In the late 70's & 80's there were very few indy stores midtown....just chains like Sam Goody, Disc-O-Mat.. The Village was loaded with cool stores to shop, The Golden Disc, Jerry Ohlinger's movie material store, Tower etc.. Nowadays NYC is horrible. Check out the Wayne NJ or Massapequa record shows....worth it. Tusk and Fleetwood Mac Live are selling for $25 in Denver! Incredible. Tusk had an over-run of about a million to $2.99 for years! I saw one 15 year old with a 1982 Surfer Girl LP paying $12! It won't end.

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I don’t think there are any record shows happening in this area. We’re still not out of the woods yet.

13. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Good question! Haven’t been since pre-COVID.

14. If you are able travel, Amish Country, Record Connection has a very strong prog cd/vinyl section. They also do mail order.
    https://www.recordconnectionpa.com/

15. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Wayne N.J. convention is strong. Massapequa was lifeless this month. Albany sounds good.

16. Danby Delight

Speaking of New York record stores, I haven't been in town since Stranded opened. Is it as good as the Bay Area stores?

17. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Rainbow Room seems pretty posh to be the replacement for Rough Trade's Brooklyn venue.

18. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

It can't come from Rough Trade....that Rainbow Room rent would be gigantic.

19. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

They're probably hiring it on a per-event basis which, while expensive, may be less expensive than owning a full time venue.

20. Danby Delight

According to the NYT article, the booking will be done by the same team that already books events at 30 Rock rather than Bowery Presents, who booked the Williamsburg space.

So basically NBC Universal, which owns the lower floors of 30 Rock, gets to use Rough Trade branding when they're booking acts for the Rainbow Room or the skating rink or the Plaza. This also means that live performances on The Tonight Show and Late Night and possibly even Today will sometimes be filmed with Rough Trade branding. In return, Rough Trade gets a deal on their rent.

I guarantee this is what will happen. As early as this summer.

And honestly, I'm all for it. Well done, Geoff Travis and company.

eddiel likes this.
  21. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Brilliant to imagine Hoda or Savannah having to utter the words "Rough Trade" on air. :laugh:

22. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Real good deal on the rent.

23. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

24. Btrunk28

Btrunk28 Well-Known Member

Hey all, for anyone interested I visited the store today. Definitely has the touristy vibe as expected since midtown can never replicate having a warehouse in Williamsburg and all the space that entails. It's really small with a book section, 95 percent vinyl, no box sets at all, and a SMALL CD section in the back next to the even smaller cassette tape and used vinyl sections! So if you're a CD buyer like I am you might as well hit up barnes and noble on 5th ave if you want a box set or new release. That being said I did get the cherry red Mick Ronson CD box set they had one copy of and it's a nice walk from the UWS of manhattan when the weather is nice so I can't complain too much. Though it's probably a place I'll check out after work once every two months to see if they have anything decent on CD before getting on the subway.

25. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

How do you pay the rent on that? I can't figure this one out.