Zavvi: Best of Jazz Starter Kit - All Time Classics Albums – Set of 10 Mystery Vinyl LP

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by atlantasteven, Aug 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capstone23

Capstone23 Active Member

Got Ella and Louis, Out To Lunch, Getz/Gilberto, Money Jungle, and Sketches Of Spain.
    I'd gotten the others in the last round, but Sketches of Spain is new for me and I'd always wanted this album so I am happy. It's about as I'd expected and the others will make great gifts.

2. Diapason

Diapason Forum Resident

Sketches of Spain eh? Nice.

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Perhaps someone miscalculated and that's all they had left to make the numbers up.

As an aside I thought the person asking £35 each for these on eBay was being rather optimistic if I'm kind, or greedy if I'm not.

ispace and imarcq like this.
  4. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

They probably won't get it. eBay full of these Zavvi dupes. I sold my complete set of spares as a job lot for less than that last time!

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I hope they don't get it, I can accept £15 as that is what they cost and many people paid, but I did think £35 was OTT.

6. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident

Wow whoever you sold to got a good deal!

(I mean, the same deal we all got I guess, which is a good one.)

Also, I'm constantly shocked by what some things successfully sell for on eBay. It seems that there are people out there willing to pay big bucks for records and yet don't do their research--for example, I've seen records auction for ridiculous amounts when the exact same thing is available on Discogs for half the price.

7. imarcq

Yes eBay can be crazy!!! Check out how much Daft Punk's Discovery Vinyl is currently selling for. It was about £80 last time I looked. The band just split and the fans went bonkers and are buying everything up as there have been no re-releases yet. Bonkers!

rain_king likes this.
  8. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident

Definitely, any time a band breaks up or somebody dies, prices shoot up. They probably do any time an artist is in the news for whatever reason, has a movie made about them, etc.

But this phenomenon of eBay auctions ending at prices above Discogs--where you don't have to wait for an auction to end or deal with the drama of the bidding process--is what's truly baffling to me.

And both eBay (But It Now) and Discogs feature lots of very very optimistic asking prices, but I think eBay is probably worse in that regard.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Is Zavvi still shipping unsealed albums this time around?

10. Daniel Gallagher

Daniel Gallagher Member

My copy of Money Jungle this time around is unsealed (previously received three copies all shrinkwrapped).

11. Daniel Gallagher

Daniel Gallagher Member

Same as tinyplace: 2 x Out to Lunch, Getz/Gilberto, Money Jungle, Sketches of Spain. I don't think I can face complaining to zavvi about the duplication, I will probably slowly gift these away.

12. michielster

michielster Well-Known Member

Also got mine today: Out To Lunch, Getz/Gilberto, Money Jungle, Go! and Sketches Of Spain.
    All sealed except 'Go!' Very happy I got Sketches of spain out of this, the rest I had already. Will be nice gifts or they'll end up on Discogs for a fair price!

13. Matthew Rose

Matthew Rose Well-Known Member

When did you guys all order yours? Ordered mine 29 March - status still 'Processing'.

14. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

I ordered mine on March 25, mine also shows "Processing".

15. Matthew Rose

At least I'm not waiting on my own then

16. Patanoia

I contacted Customer Support earlier this week and got a boilerplate response: "Recently we’ve experienced record orders and with our additional safety precautions to protect employees, it has meant slower than normal dispatch times." Today I got this update: "We have been informed that the release date for Best of Jazz Starter Kit - All Time Classics Albums – Set of 5 Mystery Vinyl LP has changed to late May 2021. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause." Not sure if the Starter Kit has an actual "release date", or just someone going into a warehouse and assembling the sets?

17. Matthew Rose

Yeah I got the same Email too! Oh well we wait with baited breath! :D

18. Matthew Rose

Well some movement...looks like Zavvi (the hut group on my statement) have at least taken the money! So something *might* be happening now!!!

Patanoia likes this.
  19. Patanoia

I got a shipping notice this morning.

20. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

21. imarcq

22. Matthew Rose

Mine landed today...here's what I got...not listened to any as I was leaving the house...[​IMG]

All sealed apart from the Eric Dolphy.

Patanoia likes this.
  23. Patanoia

Your image didn't display in my browser but I could open in Google Photos. For anyone with same issue, Matthew got Dexter Gordon "Go", "Mingus Ah Um", Eric Dolphy "Out To Lunch", "Getz/Gilberto" and "Money Jungle". Interesting that the Zavvi page shows a Jazz Images version of "Somethin' Else". I know those public domain labels are frowned upon but I've been impressed by the Jazz Images releases I've bought.

24. Matthew Rose

Thanks for that!

I was in a bit of a rush and didn't think it would work! And it didn't! :D Anyways, in-between putting the Beef in the oven and pealing the potatos!!!!! Here's what I got!! (Again - Redux!!) - None of these are artists that I have listened to a lot and not seen these releases so happy that I can at least give them a go plus no duplications!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you want to see the backs look Zavvi Jazz Starter Kit <there!!!

Patanoia likes this.
  25. Patanoia

Now I want a photo of the Sunday roast!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.