Evil - CBS Horror Drama

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scotian, Oct 18, 2019.

1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Love the show, that sucks they are moving to + and others stations are doing the same and I won't pay!!

Shoes1916, Tim Lookingbill and neo123 like this.
  2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

This might not be such a bad move. During the pandemic, CBS licensed the show to Netflix where it was a huge streaming hit. It may draw more viewers to Paramount+.

I can understand the unwillingness to pay for TV - I haven't paid a dime for cable TV in over two decades. But I'm happy to pay for what I want, and especially the premium versions with no commercials.

3. Your loss.

4. shokhead

I'll live with it.

5. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I can't pay for it because I'm on a fixed income and would require I purchase equipment like a new Smart TV or Roku to hook up to my old Samsung HDtv on top of whatever AT&T is going to charge for that much broadband throughput so it's going to cost me a lot more than CBS thinks for some folks just to watch one show like "Evil" which I was hooked by the first season and now sorry to see I won't be watching it. And I'm not going to miss Clarice when it's Paramount + only viewing.

This is the new business model for must see tv shows that are REALLY GOOD (or what network execs think are good) similar to "Breaking Bad" as networks have learned from AMC's hits. People will pay a premium to watch it and not have the bulk of their TV program purchases go to cable tv companies, the old gatekeepers of must see tv.

That's why I think it's so pathetic and sad that Spectrum cable keeps posting banners to binge watch their custom produced tv show content in my channel programming navigation menu I'm not interested in watching. But Spectrum's local news channel which is free with Basic Limited package is kicking my local 3 network news affiliates in the butt when it comes to covering local news that's interesting and important for local communities.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    Shoes1916 and wayneklein like this.
  6. I get it. The other option is to watch it on your laptop. You’ll still have the higher broadband charge (which I still think is ******** for them to charge based on it but Thar’s how they are making their money to offset cable lossesI suppose). You can always also get a hook up for your laptop/computer to run it to your TV if you don’t watch to watch it on computer.

7. More Than A Feeling

More Than A Feeling Little River, Big Adventures!

Heard it was good but I don't want Paramount+. Netflix and HBO Max I pay for 24/7 but I get other services for a month to catch up on interesting shows. Paramount just have nothing that interests me besides this show. I doubt that ViacomCBS won't be sold in a few years so I guess that's when I will watch it.(And that's if it doesn't end on a cliffhanger)

8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I have Paramount+. Got it on a special introductory half off deal. So far I am not impressed with it as far as content. They have 2 or 3 old CBS TV shows I like but other than that the selection is pretty dismal. I doubt I’ll be renewing when my year is up.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  9. Tim Lookingbill

Even if I had a laptop that would work with current broadband streaming I still wouldn't watch the programming even if it was free because I don't like watching TV styled content on a small screen and I don't want to use my AT&T internet connection to my MacMini's Ethernet cable because even YouTube videos I watch on occasion heats up my MacMini viewing on a 27in. LG 1080 computer display.

My computer is my hobby which is more entertaining than watching TV content. It is also where I make things and save it to my hard drive and pay bills. My Spectrum cable connected to my 32in. Samsung HDtv is my entertainment and like to keep it separate. Their digital cable box offers audio compression to a lot of old movies so I don't have to raise the volume to hear dialog and lower it quickly during explosions. I can't even get that with my BD and DVD content. I have to sit there close to the analog knob on my speakers to adjust volume. And as of yet there still isn't a fix for audio issue with disc content.

It's all a mess I have the choice to leave as is or go through the hassle of researching and finding new ways to deal with it which most of the time turns out to be a waste of time just like Over The Air antennas which don't work where I live and probably never will. If they can't fix that simple thing, I'm not going to get into streaming compatibility. Too much work just to be entertained.

Shoes1916 and wayneklein like this.
  10. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Yup.

11. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Trailer for season 2

12. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

I watched the first season of this on Netflix. It was OK, but some of the acting is pretty bad, and the children in particular are terrible. I'll watch pretty much anything with Michael Emerson, though.

13. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed Thread Starter

I found season 1 pretty unsettling at times so I'll be pretty interested to see where they go off of network TV.

14. HGN2001

Season 2 of EVIL launched yesterday on Paramount+, and IMHO was quite good.

The show-runners apparently took to heart the fact that they were now making a show for a streaming platform and have actually gone ahead and shot some extra stuff for the episodes that were in the can that they couldn't have done on the CBS network. This first episode has a running time of 47 minutes, so it felt a little more relaxed, timewise, and I heard one f-bomb.

Paramount+ has a $4.99 a month plan with commercials, and a $9.99 commercial free price-point. I opt for the commercial-free option. It's great watching this show and others without interruption, and it's worth it to me since we don't have cable bills.

Oh yeah, this is apparently launching on Sundays, one episode per week.

Shawn and marmalade166 like this.
  15. Tim Lookingbill

Well, I'm out! Wanted to watch it on CBS but I'm not going to pay extra for both bandwidth, streaming hookup and content price seeing it was just fine on CBS with commercials.

Maybe Spectrum cable will offer it as an on demand option as they have with their excellent pick "The Bite" which I think is a much more intellectually creative and engaging show than "Evil" even though I think both are top picks as quality entertainment on cable.

shokhead likes this.
  16. shokhead

Yep, liked the show but not playing the new game and pay

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  17. HGN2001

EVIL seems to be a much better fit as a streaming series, what with the violent images now possible.

I'm glad they moved it away from the broadcast network. I never watched it "live" on CBS anyway. We always streamed it the next day.

Shawn and marmalade166 like this.
  18. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed Thread Starter

I thought the first episode was good. I didn’t see anything that couldnt be shown on network tv. The couple of f-bombs didn’t fit into the situations & sounded like they were dubbed in. A good start though.

shokhead likes this.
  19. ScorpSik

ScorpSik Well-Known Member

I will have to wait for the DVD of S2 to come out - the first season was shown on Alibi channel in the UK, I think. I enjoyed it and hope that S2 gets shown here too.

20. Probably a missed opportunity not going straight to Netflix for season 2 - that’s where the show’s big following is.

21. ScorpSik

I'm glad they haven't as Netflix shows aren't available on DVD.

22. Oh I’m not saying for Netflix to produce it, just to license it to them like they did with season 1.

23. ScorpSik

Oh I see. I didn't realise there was a Netflix connection with Season 1

24. HGN2001

When will Netflix license some of their exclusives to Paramount+? Hmm?

25. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Why would they do that?

audiomixer likes this.