Marvel Studios’ Eternals

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marmalade166, May 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage! Thread Starter

First teaser for the upcoming film

Vidiot likes this.
  2. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Looks like an interesting addition to their franchise, but a two whole minutes without any real conflict/threat presented seems a hard sell for regular folk who have no idea what the source material is (which I think is most people.)

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I dont want to be the Marvel naysayer guy but this is probably the one I have the most reservations about. When a preview feels preachy...

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Somewhat agreed. Maybe there's a second trailer due in a month that gives a little more context. I've gotten some elsewhere (New Rockstars is always good for an explainer) but that won't help a lot of people.

edit: well I'm dumb, didn't realize this was a new trailer. Still not a lot to go on but it's a slightly better introduction than the first look we got.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  5. BeatleJWOL

We barely got any information here except that these characters have been around a long time and finally are going to do...something? What are we conceivably being preached to about??

marmalade166 and SRC like this.
  6. Holerbot6000

Yeah I should have known better than to express my impression. Slippery slope. I will shut up now. Sorry.

7. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

If just being asked to clarify what your cryptic comment meant is so scary, then yeah, see ya.

marmalade166 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  8. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

There are some signs pointing to this being a really good Marvel movie:

- This movie is directed by Chloé Zhao, who won best director at the Academy Awards and Director's Guild of America awards.

- Kevin Feige has said that Zhao's pitch for this movie was the best pitch he's ever heard. (Zhao was hired for The Eternals before she had even finished Nomadland -- very curious what she pitched Kevin Feige to impress him so much and get the gig.)

- People like John Campea are reporting that their inside contacts at the studio are saying this could be the best movie Marvel has made. (You can take this with a grain of salt - people at studio thinking their movie is awesome is like announcing that rain gets things wet. But there do seem reports from credible sources that the studio is very excited about how good this movie turned out.)

The Eternals may be a movie where Marvel swung for the fences, even aiming for a Best Picture Oscar. Of course, no matter how good a movie is set up to be, you never know how audiences will react to a movie until it comes out. And if you don't like this movie, there's like five other Marvel movies coming out for the year anyway. :laugh:

9. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

No doubt it'll have 20 minutes of tiny CGI figures beating the crap out of each other at the end. ;)
    Maybe Kirby's last hurrah, but I thought it should have been kept completely sepaate from the Marvel Universe.

10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

So the Thanos snap wasn't enough to get them off the couch?? I wonder if that will be addressed? Maybe they were busy elsewhere?

timind, vince and Vidiot like this.
  11. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

I don't think anything could look more generic than this trailer.

I read The Eternals in the 70's. Still have them. This looks like nothing from the comics.

Mooglander likes this.
  12. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

You mean like an alien attack on New York was not enough of an emergency for Nick Fury to call Captain Marvel for help? ;)

PTgraphics and BeatleJWOL like this.
  13. BeatleJWOL

Once one problem is solved with a superhero teamup, why wouldn't the rest of them be for the rest of time, obviously? :laugh:

wolfram likes this.
  14. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

In the comic books, whenever characters have unlimited powers who can fix things easily, they always come up with stuff like, "These beings are so powerful, they have decided not to interfere with the natural development of things." Or they'll say, "These beings decide they are not interested in the affairs of lesser species, and disappear to live a simple life (for a while)."

Just some excuse to get these beings out of the way. They came up with an excuse for the super-powerful Captain Marvel to be absent for the Avengers movies (she was too busy dealing with other planets to pop by Earth). Otherwise, every story will end with a "Deus Ex Machina" where these super-powerful beings swoop in and save the day, and then there's no story.

It does lead to some weird things, like why in the DC movies, Wonder Woman decided to lay low after WWI, only to resurface in 1984. Like, Wonder Woman just decided the Nazis weren't bad enough to come out of retirement for WWII, but some stolen artifact was bad enough for her to come out of retirement in the 1980s.

wolfram, Simon A, RolandG and 2 others like this.
  15. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

I have no idea about how the movie will be, good or bad, but that trailer was not interesting at all. That's just my opinion.

16. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

yeah, pretty lame .. and the only acting at the end at the table was a complete cringe.

17. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Kumail Nanjiani getting ridiculously buff as an Eternal who has a day job as a Bollywood superstar is incredibly appealing, especially as there's a Bollywood dance number in the trailer (at around 1 minute and 25 seconds.)

18. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I am a fanboy and will watch it. Take my money dammit! But just an observation, any Hollywood movie with an idyllic village where the inhabitants are clean, well groomed and happy tend to suck.

timind likes this.
  19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Aside from the Marvel logo, I see nothing here of interest to me.

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

21. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

This movie is the Eternals in name only!
    The absolutely unnecessary PC changes have absolutely nothing to do with what Jack Kirby created! It's nothing more than some vision and version the director wanted to do and not Kirby's characters, vision, or version.
    Marvel should be ashamed of disrespecting Kirby's legacy this way!

Scott222C and groundharp like this.
  22. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

The mixture of accents is rather silly.

23. Holerbot6000

I thought it looked kinda hokey. I hope I'm wrong but if a trailer looks hokey, that's not necessarily a good sign. I mean, I don't know if Suicide Squad is any good but seeing the trailer makes me want to see the movie. Same with Black Widow and that Shang-Chi movie. This one, not so much. Hmmm....

24. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

People trying to call out the movies for changing the comics is getting out of hand.

First, even within the comic book world, characters got changed radically as different authors took over, even turning villains into heroes and vice versa. Is Clark Kent a nerdy guy, or an all-American jock? He's been written in totally opposite ways in the comics, depending on the era. These characters are fictional creations and always malleable. If it was fine to revise characters in the comics, then it's fine to revise characters in the movies to resonate with new audiences and be relevant with current times.

Second, people really pick and choose what they deem okay or not okay. I didn't see comic book fans yelling and screaming when the movies changed Wolverine from a short little guy to a tall Hugh Jackman.

Most of the movie-going public knows nothing about the Eternals from the comic books. Even many comic book fans don't know much about the Eternals. Trying to maintain "authenticity" to Kirby's original work is something only a very small number of people would care about. Who knows what Jack Kirby would think, if he were alive? Maybe he'd be angry this movie is not exactly his characters. Maybe he'd be happy that his creation is getting a larger audience. I think some people are just making up a Jack Kirby strawman as a projection of their own selves, to get mad about.

25. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage! Thread Starter

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.