Abbott and Costello

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bob Furmanek, Nov 25, 2019.

1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you Bob for all the research and painstaking work you put into presenting these classics for all to enjoy!

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

this is bittersweet in the fiances! I bought the complete DVD box set twice and twice they sucked in PQ...is there anything redeemable in keeping them after I buy this show AGAIN? ; ) Thanks BOB this really made me smile...I loved this show. and it really does look beautiful...I Caaaan't wait! Hey Abbbbott!

MAYBEIMAMAZED and longdist01 like this.
  3. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident Thread Starter

Paperweights?

Seriously, I've been hoping to restore this show for many years. It's been a LONG time coming.

Thank you for the kind words, I'm happy to share the info!

longdist01, davidarob and Michael like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

dude! yea, like super expensive paperweights! Thanks again for caring so much about one of my favorite comedians since I was a youngster...watched this show whenever it was on TV! I was so disappointed in the 2 box sets...I was really expecting more on the 2nd time around...now you've changed all that...can't thank you enough...Bravo!

longdist01 likes this.
  5. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Bob: Was anything at all filmed in color for the TV show? Hal Roach used Cinecolor widely for his "Streamliner" films.

It is surprising to me that they didnt use it to hedge their bets against Color TV on the Abbot and Costello show.

Have you found any color segments?.

thanks!

6. Bob Furmanek

Nothing was filmed in color, sadly.

Hal Roach had nothing to do with production of the show, this was Lou's baby. TCA simply rented space on the lot for the filming.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Are there any color stills?

8. Bob Furmanek

On the morning of July 9, 1951, production of JACK AND THE BEANSTALK began at the Hal Roach Studios in Culver City, California.

For the 70th anniversary, I am thrilled to finally have positive updates to share with everyone!

As you know, we have been patiently waiting since January for movement on a 4K scan of a near pristine 35mm SuperCinecolor print from a major European archive. Covid related staffing delays have worked against us but I received excellent news a few days ago that it has been scanned and is ready to ship! The next step in the process is the invoice (received yesterday) and final payment for the scanning which is in the works. If all goes as anticipated, we expect to have the hard drive with the 4K files within ten days.

Also, access to another 35mm print from a US archive has finally been approved and we expect to have that back-up element early next week. After inspection and evaluation, we will get that print sent for 4K scanning immediately.

Once these materials are in our hands, we can at last begin the 4K restoration of this beloved Abbott and Costello classic.

To celebrate these truly positive developments, here is a watermarked sneak preview of the Blu-ray cover. Rather than use the 1952 ad campaign (or a standard publicity photo) which have been seen repeatedly on various unauthorized releases over the past four decades, I have commissioned the supremely talented artist Stewart McKissick to create an original design for this Special Limited Edition.

I am VERY pleased with Stewart's art and he has certainly captured the look and feel of the original Abbott and Costello movie posters from the early 50s. I am delighted to share it with you!

[​IMG]

dangiedr, cartoonist, mBen989 and 2 others like this.
  9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

At first I thought this was going to be a thread about Australian politics. :D

10. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Wow. I skimmed over to the picture first and thought it was a classic movie poster.
    Very impressive work.

11. Bob Furmanek

With delivery of the two long delayed 4K scans from excellent 35mm SuperCinecolor prints, our painstaking shot-by-shot restoration work on JACK AND THE BEANSTALK has begun. Here's a photo of the computer monitor and just look at the quality on that frame of film. It is clean, sharp and gloriously vibrant in three-color Cinecolor!

[​IMG]

Even at this very early stage in the restoration process, I can tell you this film is going to look absolutely fantastic and miles better than any version that you have seen before!

12. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

What's the use of having ignorance if you can't show it?

chilinvilin likes this.
  13. Randall DeBouvre

She kept her mules under the bed.

Show them your slip

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    chilinvilin likes this.
  14. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Look at those curves and waveforms! :cool:

longdist01 likes this.
  15. Randall DeBouvre

BUD -YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND. IT'S HERTZ U-DRIVE
    LOU -WELL, THAT'S TOO BAD. IF IT HURTS, THEN YOU DRIVE

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  16. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Bob,

Any update on Jack and the Beanstalk?

Any chance we'll have our copies by Xmas? (I really don't know how long a process like this usually takes.)

Jeff

17. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

Who dares not laff his a** off with ...

Randall DeBouvre and longdist01 like this.
  18. Bob Furmanek

No, the release has been delayed. I've been updating the Kickstarter campaign.

longdist01 likes this.
  19. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Thanks Bob.

As one of the contributors who will apparently get his name mentioned in the closing credits of the restoration project, would it be possible for it to show my name /my grandson's name?

We watched the Africa Screams restoration BD together a couple of months ago and he loved it. I've been screening A&C movies for him ever since he would sit still long enough to watch them, and together we have watched them all!

Anyhow, it would be great if, when we eventually get to watch Jack and the Beanstalk together, he could see our names come up together. Something he could one day show his grandkids!

Jeff

longdist01 likes this.
  20. Randall DeBouvre

bud - costello--you don't understand. knots are nautical miles. if you asks a sailor how fast he is going, he won't say miles he will say knots to you. he will say knots to you
    lou- yeah, and I'll say knots right back at him.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    longdist01 likes this.
  21. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

I've got to admit, I'm not an A&C fan. I love Laurel and Hardy, the Three Stooges, the Marx Brothers, etc. but could never get into the Abbott and Costello style of comedy. However, these releases are making me want to reconsider just so I can see enjoy these spectacular looking restorations. I truly appreciate what's being done here. Great work!!!

longdist01 and Bob Furmanek like this.
  22. Randall DeBouvre

edited

23. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

Watching this movie ......laffs galore :)

longdist01 likes this.
  24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

So glad to hear and see Abbott & Costello's Legacy being Restored and preserved in Best quality possible, even better that so much research and Special features are being considered for their Comedy work for future generations too!

Thank you again Bob Furmanek for all updates shared!

25. Bob Furmanek

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022