Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2020-2021 46th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

the opening bit, and the 'hollywood squares' bit were good, I thought, and weekend update was good as well, as was the pride routine....other stuff before update didn't really stand out to me. i wasn't paying close attention but i read that there was a 'wardrobe malfunction' during the first lil naz x song, btw. didn't see the show after update, tho i taped it ...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Dude! It didn't even get good until after Update. The Brawr Shop, Movies, Cast Interview we're all top notch.

I know typically they front load the show and save the lesser sketches for the end but this time all the big laughs we're at the end.

3. It kinda has been tanking though. I’ll miss Kenan and maybe Cecily but not the others.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Heidi, Ego, Bowen and other are ready to step up, in my opinion. I would happy to see Beck Bennett and a few of the other interchangeable male cast members leave.

OldSoul likes this.
  5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i love beck bennett

Dan C likes this.
  6. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

A rock solid last episode, lot's of good stuff after a rather uneven season. I am pretty sure that Pete, Kate, Aidy and Cecily will leave and I will miss them, but with Chloe and Ego there is enough talent there to replace them.

davenav and Taxman like this.
  7. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Just for his Vin Diesel impression, I hope Bennett stays with the show for a long time. I just lost it laughing at that AMC Theaters sketch.

davenav, Matthew Tate and aorecords like this.
  8. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I was surprised at how tall and slim Anya Taylor-Joy is. Never got a sense
    of that from her movies. As for Lil Nas X.....that was just sad.

9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I lost it too

10. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

And don't forget, the camera adds 10 to 15 pounds!

11. Beck Bennett, Mikey Day and Alex Moffat are completely interchangeable to me. Surely they could lose one or two of them to shake things up a bit.

Spencer R likes this.
  12. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

^ it might seem that way at first glance but I disagree.

Beck excels at playing the huckster/phony guy character. His Putin, the lying boyfriend character with Ego in a recent sketch, the advertisement on spec exec, the Horse racer owner guy he did the other week, et al. He's great at playing these sort of lying through their teeth slimeball guys.

Mikey Day's specialty is the incredulous straight man. "You did what?" That whole thing, he's great at that.

Alex Moffett I'm not too sure about. He's got that "guy who bought a boat" guy, which is pretty funny, but beyond that I can't remember too many memorable sketches off hand.

13. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Mikey and Alex doing the Trump sons is one of my favorite run of sketches ever. They could have done that for an hour and a half as I'm concerned.

Dan C, The Slug Man and agentalbert like this.
  14. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I agree. I think Ego & Chloe have the chance to be massively important.

aorecords and Shawn like this.
  15. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I love Heidi Gardner too.

Hall Cat likes this.
  16. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Ego and Chloe are my favorites and Melissa Villasenor, who for some reason, has hardly done anything but be an extra this past season.

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

...because once Amy Pohler started doing it every two weeks, it became embarrassing...

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I just want to say, it was a strong episode to finish out the season with. Strong ideas for sketches, they didn't just "...end..." the cast actually appeared to be having fun without stooping to screwing up their own sketches and laughing at themselves, and the host didn't actually feel like she had been flown-in from another universe, and grafted-onto the program. I may be one of the twelve people in the audience who will miss Pete Davidson, but he actually brought something special and unique to every Weekend Update segment he was in (besides bumping Keenan from yet another shot at a bad sports-figure caricature). I'm sure there are odds being laid-down in Vegas this weekend as to who will be "this years' blonde" next season without Kate dominating the cold opens.

There is just far too much politics (and, I'm not talking about actual news-oriented politics here) going on every week about who gets to haul out their signature recurring characters, and what generates a mandated sketch idea that doesn't revolve around, "we should really do something about...", without actually knowing what they should be doing about it. I'm perfectly fine with Elon Musk getting his own show (hell, Ralph Nader got one, for cryin' out loud), and even if he didn't have the charisma to pull it off, at least he did a reasonable effort to try; I'd rather have something like that than yet another stunt-casting mega-star-shoehorned-into-the-tail-end-of-a-sketch (yes, Babs, you were like buttah...now go away).

But, the show deserves a lot of credit for giving the finale the ol' college try, and succeeding for the most part. Even if it does underscore how weak other episodes in the season had been...with the same team in charge, remember. If I could add only one more observation that still feels appropriate on the networks' most self-absorbed show...they managed to make the cold open - traditionally a segment dealing with the hottest topic of the day - all about themselves.

19. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Love Moffett's impersonation of Mark Zuckerberg with that short, loud and impulsive WAH-HAH! laugh he does. Plus Moffett's facial features are suited for Charlie Chaplinesque comedic facial minimalism with that big tall head and tiny close together eyes. He looks like he was drawn by Mad Magazine cartoonists. It's similar to Will Ferrel's baboon like face. Both are just funny looking.

Dan C, Hall Cat and Cokelike- like this.
  20. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Mikey Day is also really good in the role of "Facilitator" in sketches, a position which I don't think anyone has had yet on SNL (perhaps Phil Hartman?), in that he keeps sketches MOVING from point A to point B by asking questions, giving directions or explanations to the sketch's protagonist (usually the guest) which in actuality explains what is going on to the audience. I'm assuming it comes from years of improv work. A LOT of stuff would just DIE out there if it weren't for his energy and selfless commitment to keeping things MOVING.

21. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

As the cast themselves pointed out in the cold open - it’s hard to believe they made it through a year where *nothing* was funny.

I thought they did a good job all year - yeah, the old college try — for an entire season. Unlike the humorless bunch that dominate this thread, I found much to laugh at, which was like gold in such a year.

As for this last episode, I give it high marks. I laughed loudest at the Shotgun Prom Dad, Josh & Michael Swap Jokes, The Brawr Barn, Hollywood Squares, The Man Design, and Vin Diesel.

A very solid show, and a great season closer.

22. I thought that Shotgun Prom Dad was right out of America’s Funniest Videos. ‘Look, a groin injury hahaha.’ When that’s what they’re mining for comedy - and especially placing it at the beginning of the show - the new writers can’t get here soon enough.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I forgot about the man design. That was a good one too.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

There seems to have been an uptick in really clever conceptual ideas for skits and overall humor in this last episode compared to previous ones. I didn't catch the Elon Musk episode because the previous episode wasn't that funny which didn't motivate me enough to not fall asleep when Musk hosted.

But this last episode I was rested and wide awake and glad I was because I noticed a pronounced improvement going by how many times I laughed compared to previous episodes.

aorecords and altaeria like this.
  25. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Maybe they should have Carvey playing Joe Biden instead of Carrey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.