History Channel's Alone

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris from Chicago, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Funny, I chuckled...but I can't be Larry even if I am from MN.
    I did not swear one single time in any portion of my comments.
    Larry would have been deleted, or at least he would have written a very hard to read F#$%@!% mess of a G^% D%$# story for you to figure out on your own F&*%$# time.

My wife and I chuckled at him in the beginning, but came to feel sorry for him because he seemed far to crabby and quick to temper.

GodShifter likes this.
  2. Roland was very adept and experienced at his craft.
    Roland also seems like a guy who is best left to his own style, decisions, and self. He lives in AK for a reason.
    I got the feeling he would tolerate others, but only just. After which he would simply leave and not come back.

carrick doone and GodShifter like this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Glad you got a chuckle ;). I admired Larry’s resolve but never cared for his attitude. That said, he was a tough hombre. Far better than I could ever be.

cleandan likes this.
  4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I just finished season 5 (repeated on History 2 in Canada) and I'll say this about Mongolia, it's pretty much barren in terms of food options (fish were tiny, grouse was available for a while, no rabbits and no one made a significant kill (deer)), the entire season was a battle of who could withstand starvation the longest. In terms of who won I couldn't come up with a least deserving winner, did he even catch anything besides a mouse or two? he couldn't fish or trap worth a damn. The only thing that kept him alive was the 50-60 lbs he claims to have added to his frame before the show which is smart (I would do the same). Obviously he had more resolve than the others however if he started the show with 15% body fat he would've been done by day 20 if not earlier. I'd rank this season 3rd behind #7 and #6 (haven't seen the others).

GodShifter likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, totally agree about Larson. He obviously deserved the win because he outlasted everyone else. And that's what I said: he was willing to starve and be miserable longer than anyone else and didn't have a medical emergency (he actually did, in that he cut the ever lovin' crap out of his finger when carving something), but he was able to stop the blood flow himself without calling in. As you say, he was able to withstand the starvation because he had gained so much weight before the show started and that is a smart tactic. I'd do the same. I guess I just didn't really find anything about Larson that was really remarkable. No real admirable survival skills demonstrated, not particularly amusing or witty, and, frankly, a bit of an oaf. Since you haven't seen the rest, I'd be interested in your thoughts on S1 when you're able to see it. Larson is in that one, too.

Disclaimer: despite my criticisms of Larson, he was able to do something that few could and, without question, anything I could do. So, I'm being an arm chair critic here and I realize that.

6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I don't remember him cutting himself, his medical issue was being unable to poop which resolved itself. One of the women impaled her hand with a fish hook very early on.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

His cutting himself is not shown on the show (or the after show). He mentions it in one of his (awful) TED talks he did after winning S3.

Deuce66 likes this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Season 8 starts up on Thursday June 3, a more temperate climate (Chilko Lake BC) however more predators in the environment (Grizzlies/Mountain lions/Cougars/wolves).

9. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Ok, I'm in. I wasn't going to be in after watching the season where they had to last 100 days - I don't think it can be better than that season- but I saw the trailers and I'm in. I think I am just a sucker for this type of landscape and environment. Beyond curiosity of what happens and the characters it's part travelogue, part nostalgia because I have visited and lived in these remote areas.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  10. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

We need a return of Chris from Chicago!

11. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

I hated that guy.

I'll be here chiming in with my nonsense.

carrick doone, Deuce66 and EddieMann like this.
  12. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Did you find out if the earth was flat or round?
    Glad to see ya back.

13. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

Alone. Season 8

The worst cruelty that can be inflicted on a human being is isolation.

Wyoming Tim. Takes in the sites. He is a hunter. Not afraid of anything. He looks to build a bear proof cabin. I'd hire him to build my cabin. He talks of his heart attack 6 years ago. But problems persist. He has another heart attack as his mantra becomes please don't die. He cried as he tapped out. He's still afraid of something after all.

Idaho Clay. He walks the terrain. Hosts a mushroom party. He hunts. And builds bows. And he kills with the bows he builds. He eats on day one. It looks delicious. Too bad the mountain lion thinks so too. That stare would have me tapping out on day one.

Oregon Biko. He starts building a cabin where he can listen to his pagan folk metal music. He finds a nail. No. A big nail. He repurposed it into a knife. Then created a bone nose ring. Pretty sure he's related to Jack Black.

US Virgin Island Matt. Wait... what? Staying in Canada? On Alone? He builds primitive tools. He's going to need them. Holy crap. Look at the chompers on this guy. I bet he can gum some bear jerky with the best of them. Someone call this guy a dentist. He sees a momma bear. With cubs. He yells to scare them away. He should've just flashed his smile.

Pennsylvania Rose. She comes off as a bit of a hippy. Her shelter appears to be a tarp laid over two stones. But she's a hunter. Maybe more formidable than i gave her credit for. She feasts on berries. And then she chucks the berries.

Wyoming Tim taps out. It's day six. But he lives.

Bone chilling cold. Complete isolation. Well... except for the bears. Brutal wind. Little to eat. Except for the people.

9 people remain.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Wyoming Tim, the second he mentioned heart problems I knew he was done, a persons microbiome is very sensitive to changes in diet or in this case lack of it. Going without food for 5 days and expending tons of energy building his cabin = major electrolyte imbalance, no wonder his ticker freaked out.

Penn Rose - you're going to need a lot more than just a tarp to protect you when it's minus 20....get to work

As for the others, a mountain lion stare down and grizzlies roaming around would have me sleeping with one eye open at all times until my shelter was animal proofed.

If anything this program continues to show quite clearly how the vast majority of us (99.99%) are totally disconnected from nature, that's the major attraction of Alone for me.

15. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I gather from watching the ending that Tim did not have a heart attack. Whatever chest pains he was suffering seemed to be more of a panic attack, given his lack of food and previous heart attack, which he described as serious and life threatening. He should have stayed home to begin with.

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

He did say that his chest pains were very similar to what he felt before his heart attack, add in the isolation and panic can set in quickly if any chance of rescue is s substantial amount of time away. I agree that he should've stayed home or at minimum did a trial run first (a 72 or 96 hour fast) anyone who watches this show or knows anything about living off the land knows that you aren't going to be eating 3 or more solid meals per day every day. All contestants go thru stages of starvation or malnutrition and tend to lose a bunch of weight in the process. It's tough not having a local supermarket nearby :D.

17. Chris from Chicago

Wasn't there a bit at the end where he said after the fact that he was left with only 34% heart function left? I mean... of course it could've been a panic attack. But if it turned out to be a heart attack i wouldn't be surprised. He was a big guy. And he was brought to tears.

18. Chris from Chicago

True wilderness can still be found. But it's hard to reach and dangerous when you get there.

Alaskan Colter is living the dream by being on Alone. Too bad it's his mom's dream. He declined to bring a firestarter. But builds a fire anyway. Then decides to build a boat. He wraps it tightly with his tarp. It actually looks like a boat. Then he dropped his knife, blade down into the boat. And he carves a homemade paddle as nice as anything from Ceballas.

Michigan Nate. He isn't a bushman. And he's not an angler. He's a problem solver. Guess we'll find out. He finds mushrooms and hangs them to dry. But an uninvited squirrel found his stash. Now he has a problem he'd better solve. Later he shoves another by fishing without a pole and catches a fish.

UK Theresa is astounded by the natural beauty that surrounds her. She knows her stones. She decides to build an underground shelter. On the beach. While digging she discovered that grubs taste like pine nuts. After getting woke by a bear, digging her underground pit house now becomes more important. I've never built a shelter. Id pay her to build mine.

Maine Michelle finds insects. Lots of them so she makes a stew. Cricket legs, as it turns out, get stuck in your teeth. A bear that smells her stew swims toward her in the lake. She builds a chair to rest her achy bones. And she begins her shelter. Away from the beach. Shielded from the wind. Seems smart.

Tennessee Jordon finds ants. Then he ate those ants. Sour. Kind of lemony. And he builds things. Because he's a carpenter. His goal is a log cabin. A bear interrupts his sleep that night. Building his cabin becomes a priority after learning he lives in the posh hood of Grisly Hts.

Random thoughts...

Can you eat bear? Provided you can kill one. Do people eat bear?

Several different strategies. Shelter first? Food? Fire?

9 people still remain.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Deuce66 and EddieMann like this.
  19. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Yes you can eat bear, quite tasty, lots of fat, which is good.
    They can have a lot of worms sometimes, which is bad.
    That's black bear, doubt there is much difference eating wise.

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Yes people eat bear however in British Columbia grizzly's are off limits.

"Grizzly Bear Hunting Banned in BC. ... On December 18, 2017, the BC Government announced that a complete ban on hunting grizzly bears will take effect immediately. Ending the grizzly bear hunt eliminates one of the biggest threats facing this iconic species, allowing the people of BC to focus on sustainable land management ...".

Far too many grizzlies roaming around for my liking, it appears that almost every contestant has seen one or experienced one roaming around their camp. Priority on building a SOLID shelter on the downside it appears that food opportunities are kind of limited, where are the rabbits? squirrels do not seem to be in abundance either and fishing that lake could be a problem. Berries/mushrooms/grubs will be gone soon as winter approaches then what??

Chris from Chicago and Borgia like this.
  21. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I don't see how this season can end without some major. perhaps dangerous encounter with a grizzly. Like Deuce said, I would want as solid a cabin as possible, not just a tarp laid over a frame to shelter in. There are some interesting contestants this season but I don't see a winner just yet. The woman from the UK did a yeoman's (or yeowoman's) job of digging out her pit shelter, but expended a lot of energy doing so. At some point they have to start catching fish while they can. Going to be an interesting season on Alone.

Deuce66 and Chris from Chicago like this.
  22. Chris from Chicago

All valid observations. I have to think they wouldn't have invited them there if there wasn't a chance of success.

23. Chris from Chicago

Yeah. I don't know much about shelter building but hers seems to be an interesting one. Seems sturdy as hell

Borgia likes this.
  24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I give props and admiration to anyone who has the skill sets required to live off the land. Still, many of these folks seem to have one foot in crazy town or at the very least, don't play well with others.

25. Chilko Lake isn't all that far away from here - maybe an eight hour drive. There is no way I'd be hanging out that close to grizzlies and cougars! Black bears aren't really a problem - one spent a month sleeping in the tree right in front of my living room windows. I don't bother them, they don't bother me. But grizzly bears eat you first and ask questions later. No way would I camp amongst them. I assume the contestants must have some kind of deterrent like bear spray or an air horn.
    The closest I ever came to a grizzly was when one walked along a ridge behind me while I was taking pictures in the opposite direction. Happily it didn't see me (I was down wind, thank you mother nature) and I only caught a glimpse of its butt as it headed into the bush while a couple of German hikers were running toward me yelling "grizzly!". That's as close as I ever want to get to one. These people are nuts!
    My money is on the canoe guy. He did a great job with that!