Looking for Seattle Record Store Recs

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by rain_king, May 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident Thread Starter

I will be visiting Seattle this weekend and I like to go to local record stores when I travel. Any spots I need to check out?

I'm mostly interested in '60s-'70s jazz, rock, and soul, and I'm more into crate digging and used vinyl in general rather than new. I'll be staying downtown but will also be visiting friends in Bremerton and Federal Way. Any good shops in those or surrounding areas?

Thanks!

2. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

I'd recommend these (for starters):

Easy Street Records (especially if you're getting out to Bremerton, given that the W. Seattle Bridge is closed)
    Home | Easy Street Records

Wall of Sound (a smaller store up on Capitol Hill, but with a very eclectic selection)
    Wall of Sound - New and Used LPs And CDs

Holy Cow Records (right in Pike Place Market; smallish, but lots of local flavor)
    Holy Cow Records

Golden Oldies (if you get out to the University District, there are several options in that neighborhood, this being one of my favorites)
    Golden Oldies

Silver Platters (the SoDo district store is huge, and very much like shopping/crate-digging in a warehouse, but they do time your visit, so be forewarned)
    Silver Platters

Hope this helps! :wave:

ScramMan2 and rain_king like this.
  3. rain_king

This is awesome, thank you!

I'll only be in town for a few days and we've got a lot going on, but I hope to make it to at least a few of these.

skisdlimit likes this.
  4. skisdlimit

You're welcome. :) I might check before trekking out to make sure some of these are in fact open post-COVID, which sadly wasn't the case for Everyday Music; otherwise, I would've recommended that store as well. Here's a fairly helpful guide (with pictures, too):

A Guide to Seattleā€™s Record Stores
    Enjoy your visit! :targettiphat:

5. rain_king

Thanks again. Just to clarify--when you say Silver Platters times your visit, do you mean because of COVID restrictions they limit people's time so others don't have to wait, or something else?

6. skisdlimit

COVID restrictions mainly, but more so in my experience than other stores, even if others aren't waiting, so shopping there can feel a bit cold; still, the selection is pretty much unmatched, and somewhat reminiscent of Tower Records (really miss that one, and Cellophane Square, and Peaches, and Bop Street Records, and...). Well, you get the idea.
    Best of luck, and have a great trip! :tiphat:

7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.