Ken Burns’ Country Music on PBS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fenderesq, Sep 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I dozed off trying to watch this a few times, but it did start airing less than a month before I had a new baby born, and I have been getting super drowsy these days. Will give this another shot whenever I see it show up on a streaming service I already have a sub for.

2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

He sure does! Perhaps it was intentional? :D

luckyno13 likes this.
  3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Recently purchased the DVD set of this, and I'm only up to disc 3.
    This didn't get an 'airing' here in Australia, like a lot of things.....
    I'm late to the game here, but what a wonderful insight into the beginnings of Country Music with some wonderful
    footage and clear photographs.
    Nice presentation with some legendary artists adding a few comments.
    It wasn't very expensive either and I'm looking forward to the rest of it!

4. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

UK viewers finally got to see the full version of Country Music recently when it was aired on the Freeview channel PBS America.

I found it easier to take by watching in 20-30 minute segments. One great thing - the morning after I had watched the segment on Waylon Jennings and his outlaw albums, I was browsing through the £5 rack at a newly-opened second hand record store, and there was a copy of "Dreaming My Dreams". Obviously picked up it up, and what a great album it is.

5. thepigdog

thepigdog Music and beer

I've been watching it on PBS on Sunday afternoons. And I am loving it.

6. The huge companion hardcover is now showing up at Barnes & Noble stores for $15 in their bargain sections.

7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  8. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Thanks for this, I'll keep an eye on the PSB schedules for another repeat. The BBC one was too much of a slog for me.

EG.

9. The Cat 3

The Cat 3 Forum Resident

Late to the party here, but what a wonderful series this is!

I came by this through a recommendation of a friend.

The 5 CD soundtrack is just amazing!

Someone said earlier in this thread, that watching this series is going to be expensive...

...how true is that?!

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

First thing is you will need to start out by spending $10,000 on box sets by Bear Family.

11. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

naw, just start hitting the bargain bins, thrift shops and yard sales. It's all out there in vinyl form and for cheap.

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If you know Bear Family, you'd know much of the vintage country is not easy to find at all at any price, and a great percent of it was never on LP.

Used LPs are great for stuff after 1960, but most vintage country is scarce on LP and most of that is extremely worn out.

But I do agree that looking for used records in the cheap places is a good thing to do.

13. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

14. lazydawg58

I know Bear Family is a great import label but Carter Family, Stoneman, Gil Tanner, Mainer, etc. are all relatively easy to find along with the 1960s and 70s country. The County, Rounder, Folkways, Vanguard, Sugar Hill and Old Homestead labels did a great job of releasing Bluegrass, Country and Old Time Music by both individual artists like Charlie Poole, The Country Gentlemen, and Riley Puckett and compilations of fiddlers, banjoists, vocalists etc. Which artists are you thinking about that are difficult to find except on Bear Family?

Greenalishi and The Cat 3 like this.
  15. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I mean, just get Spotify. There is a ton of classic country on there. More than you could listen to the rest of your life. I understand wanting physical media, but if you want to learn about the music without going bankrupt, it's the way to go.

The Cat 3, BeauZooka and Greenalishi like this.
  16. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I really enjoy the old country lps section at record stores. I’m usually the only one in it. Lots of reasonable prices. A really fun browse. Check out the hot pickers comps. Some really interesting and creative guitar playing. Little less commercial too

17. Grand_Ennui

I know you posted this back in late December, but back in February when I went to B&N, I scoured their discounted books, and the one here didn't have it on closeout/in the bargain section... I inquired about it at the checkout, and thought I'd order it from them, thinking even if they didn't have it in stock in the store, I'd be able to have them order it for me and that I'd be able to get it at the discounted price you pointed out... I was wrong-When the cashier told me they could order it, she said it'd be $55.00 (I'm a B&N member, so I would have got free shipping since it would have been over the minimum price for free shipment). Hearing it'd be full price, I declined.

I'm sure the book is worth the price, but since I'm not a diehard book reader, I couldn't justify paying full price for something that might take years for me to get around to reading.

Greenalishi likes this.
  18. Interestingly enough, the big hardcover book also started showing up at Ollie's Bargain Outlets for $15.

19. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

Hi, just wrapping up watching it. Its a great doc as it re-invigorated my love of folk and country music. It does a great job explaining and linking the different parts of country music that I never quite understood because I didn't grow up with country in the 60s and 70s. I am a little surprised that it seems that traditional Nashville is not really involved much in it. They sort of paint Nashville as a very capitalist money hungry enterprise kind of place and the counter culture to commercial country (Countrypolitan?) , aka Outlaw country, as the type of country as the supposed saviour of real country music and kept the flame of traditional country and bluegrass alive. It seems the doc is tailored for a baby boomer generation of fans. (I may be wrong).

20. lazydawg58

Well the youngest of the baby boomers are 58 and the oldest 76, so it's probably tailored more for the children and grandchildren of the baby boomers.

telecode101 and Greenalishi like this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You mean it's tailored for the baby boom-boom-boomers, then?

There was an old rhythm'n'blues classic titled:

"It Ain't the Meat, It's the Boom-Boom-Booming!"

Fender Relic and lazydawg58 like this.
  22. Grand_Ennui

Two weeks ago, I went into Barnes and Noble and was finally able to score the companion book for $15.00, nearly a year after you initially said it was showing up for that price at B&N... I don't know why the B&N here took so long to reduce its price, but I'm glad they did...

Now I have to keep an eye out for the documentary itself to go on sale...

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  23. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 I'm a very magic tripper

No joke- I’ve bought about 275 country records since watching the series. I had less than 10 before watching. I’m not going say how much I’ve $pent… my wife might read this!

24. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I finally bought it. I've watched it 8 or 9 times.

Grand_Ennui and Greenalishi like this.
  25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Oh man! That's great to hear, but it's a rabbit hole.
    When you start joining the dots of all the greats, and realize how much they have done,
    whether it's play instruments, were Rock n Roll performers, songwriters, producers.....
    You'll want to know more and more.
    I don't know if any other genre apart from Country/Roots music that can say the same thing
    and have so much of it documented through film archive and recordings.
    Then it's the obscure things you find out like, they had a brother/sister or children, who also had music careers!
    Then you start off on another branch and see where their story went.
    'American Country Music' is something else!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.