Dune to be directed by Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 7, 2017.

1. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

'Dune' Producer Legendary May Sue Warner Bros. Over HBO Max Deal - Variety

Just learned through Robert Meyer Burnett this morning that a Paul Atreides Trilogy is currently the intended plan, with the 3rd film being Dune Messiah. Really mirrors Denis Villeneuve basing his recent description of Paul like Michael Corleone. It's as if they're creating a Sci-Fi Godfather Trilogy and I like it!

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Huge fan of the novels and really looking forward to it.
    This and Get Back are the two things that could get me to go back to a cinema for the first time in ~20 months (getting my first shot tomorrow).

3. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

still wish someone would make God Emperor into a movie! seems like that would be a great standalone flick. I'd love to see someone make Siaynoq happen visually.

FVDnz and marblesmike like this.
  4. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

The last few movies I've seen in a theater had less than 5 people. I think you'd be safe, shot or no.

SBurke and Rfreeman like this.
  5. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

God Emperor is my second favorite book of the series after the first one.

Wounded Land and FVDnz like this.
  6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It is a great book, but it seems like so much of it is internal monologue that it would not make a real gripping film. Mostly a giant worm stuck in a huge silo thinking to himself and/or talking to a couple regular visitors - until near the end.

7. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Tuesdays With Leto?

8. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

i'd have to disagree, there's leto's internal monologue sure but that type of thing is present in all the dune books. Lots of action, too- I mean shoot, there's the overthrow of the God Emperor! Plus all the of the changes to society that have happened during leto's rule to explore.
    just the SETS would be amazing heh. The festival city. the faery bridge. the crypt.

9. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

My Dinner with Leto

elvisizer and Rfreeman like this.
  10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Can't wait for this. By far the most anticipated films in development that I know about. Dune still my favorite sci fi book ever.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  11. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

12. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Who will play Feyd-Rautha in this picture? We were just looking for that info online and cannot find it -- there's no listing on imdb.com: Dune (2021) - IMDb

I wonder if there will be some kind of surprise casting announcement -- I can't imagine the character was deleted. Is that possible?

We saw David Lynch's "Dune" last weekend on the big screen, at Buffalo's fantastic North Park theater. It was quite interesting to look again at the 1984 mise en scène (and to hear the Toto soundtrack in surround sound). But the film hasn't gotten any better with age.

FVDnz and hi_watt like this.
  13. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I don't think Feyd will be seen until the second installment... if there is one.

SBurke, FVDnz, hi_watt and 1 other person like this.
  14. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

No, Feyd-Rautha will not be introduced until the second film. Apparently, he will be mentioned in the upcoming film though.

While it appears that all the Harkonnens will be bald, I somehow hope that Feyd will keep his hair. And I do think his introduction in the gladiatorial arena will be quite something to watch. Also leaves me to wonder who will be cast as the Fenrings too.

SBurke likes this.
  15. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I did not know that Davros was a Dune character!!! (guy in black on the right of the image on the left side)

17. Drew

Drew Senior Member

What I really want to know is how many hours of content have been put up on youtube speculating about what we may or may not see in this movie.

Simon A and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Let's not leave out all the posts here...

19. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Just saw Arrival for the first time and the direction was fantastic. Really keyed to see what Villeneuve does with the bigger budget, huge cast, and extraterrestrial worlds and creatures required for Dune.

FVDnz, Simon A, polchik and 1 other person like this.
  20. I’m looking forward to what Denis brings to Dune but I am a fan of Lynch’s flawed film as well. It had some cool stuff in it he probably wasn’t the ideal choice to direct it (Ridley Scott the second director who tried to make it would have been ideal with the right screenplay). The problem is, as great as the book is, Herbert wrote horrible dialog.

I liked elements of the SyFy adaption as well. The script was pretty good for that it would have worked better with a stronger more cinematic director though.

FVDnz and slipkid like this.
  21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I thought Herbert's writing was excellent, including the dialog. But it's not like typical dialog and will require the proper acting to pull it off. It has an interesting mix of colloquial and classic literature. Hopefully the film can bring compelling accents to the dialog and that is where choosing the right actor is so important. I love this exchange:

"The drug's dangerous," she said, "but it gives insight. When a Truthsayer's gifted by the drug, she can look many places in her memory — in her body's memory. We look down so many avenues of the past . . . but only feminine avenues." Her voice took on a note of sadness. "Yet, there's a place where no Truthsayer can see. We are repelled by it, terrorized. It is said a man will come one day and find in the gift of the drug his inward eye. He will look where we cannot — into both feminine and masculine pasts."
    "Your Kwisatz Haderach?"
    "Yes, the one who can be many places at once: the Kwisatz Haderach. Many men have tried the drug . . . so many, but none has succeeded."
    "They tried and failed, all of them?"
    "Oh, no." She shook her head. "They tried and died."

If Villeneuve doesn't get it right, it will seem stilted but with the right approach Herbert's dialog is perfect as written. I'm sure even if it isn't properly delivered, it will be much superior to Lynch's treatment. I agree that Lynch's film was entertaining, but it didn't hold a candle to the book. Ridley Scott would be an interesting choice but he seems to be on the downslope of his career, while Villeneuve is still climbing. Hopefully he hit this project in stride and makes it his defining work.

FVDnz, Simon A, SoCalWJS and 4 others like this.
  22. True. It is difficult dialog to sell but I have to say even reading it as a teen, I felt that dialog was Herbert weak point. Every writer has weak points and even masterpieces can have their weak points. Dune remains a seminal novel (not just science fiction novel) and it has a unique vision. I met Herbert a couple of times at a book signing and a science fiction convention and I did ask him about his choice for the dialog. He did (accurately) point out that people would speak differently ina different time and he was trying to evoke a regal mood not unlike a mythological tale but it doesn’t play well on the screen IMHO. Part of the problem with Lynch’s adaption was the fact that he was too literal in adapting the dialog. You have to play to your audience and in film it’s based 0n contemporary dialog that your audience can relate to. It’s a fine line to be sure but I still think it is too stilted even on the page.

slipkid and GregM like this.
  23. It certainly brings it altogether.

24. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I think Frank Herbert wrote some of the best dialog in Science Fiction. But yes it's written in a very high-minded literary style. I've always felt that Isaac Asimov had grand ideas in his writing but the dialog was written as if it's two kids talking to each other.

I can't think of a single scene from the LOTR books that made it to the movie screen without being streamlined. I figure the same thing is going to happen to Dune. The fact that they use the word "Crusade" in the trailer sounds like a whitewash and has me nervous. And the imagery of the Sandworm pausing when Paul & Jessica make it to the rock is also different from the book. No one could control the worms until the fifth book... Thousands of years into the future. On one hand it looks like they spent a lot of money on this film and as a big fan I want it to be successful.. On the other hand it definately looks Hollywoodized.

wayneklein likes this.
  25. I don’t know why the use of the word crusade should make you nervous. The novel is about many things including the making of a messiah and prophecy so it would fit for me.

GregM and SandAndGlass like this.