Sitcoms with limited sets

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by R79, May 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R79

R79 Forum Resident Thread Starter

What are some sitcoms with the least amount of "sets"? Cheers probably wins as pretty much every episode (unless its one where the characters went outside) took place in the main barroom. Later they added Sam's office and a pool room, but those rooms werent visited very frequently either.

2. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Barney Miller

ODIrony, Jazzmonkie, Sean and 18 others like this.
  3. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Night court

Sean, Jimmy B., YarRevenge and 3 others like this.
  4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The Office

jason88cubs likes this.
  5. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I'm pretty sure Barney Miller beats out Cheers, because you don't see anything but the precinct after season two or three (and you barely see much else early on). Cheers had the opposite trajectory.

czeskleba, Bluesman Mark and EdgardV like this.
  6. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

The Honeymooners.

Virtually the entire show takes place in the one room, the front door/eat-in kitchen. They don't even have a set for the bedroom that they exit to frequently.

However, they did on a rare occasion show the front of the apartment building, the pool hall, the lodge club hall; later, Norton & Trixie's apartment, an office, or a fake outdoor scene.

Sean, Scott57, MLutthans and 9 others like this.
  7. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Mad About You.

Haven't seen this in forever, but as I recall, it was primarily the apartment living room, bathroom, bedroom.

On a rare occasion they'd show the video editing room at work.

8. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Are You Being Served?

Probably similar to Barney Miller, the entire show uses one set for the department store Men's and Ladies departments. And one set for the manager's office.

9. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

I know the first season opf cheers never left the bar

EdgardV and Bluesman Mark like this.
  10. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Gilligan's Island

Sean, Shoes1916, Jimmy B. and 6 others like this.
  11. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Nah, not really. Considering that it was a workplace comedy, there was still a ton of stuff that happened outside the office pretty regularly. Michael's condo, Jim's apartment, Chili's, Staples, Dwight's karate class, the booze cruise on Lake Wallenpaupack, the ice skating rink, the job fair, the Diwali party, Benihana, Poor Richard's bar, beach games, the convention hotel in Philadelphia, Jim & Pam's wedding in Niagara Falls, Pam at art school in New York, Corporate offices in NY, the Albany branch, the company picnic, Schrute Farm on multiple occasions, Andy's musical, Michael's second job, Michael's improv class, Meredith's house, Oscar's house, the Fun Run, several hospitals and supermarkets, to name just a tip of the iceberg!

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

' The Dick Van Dyke Show '
    Mostly it was the office where Rob worked and his home where he slept in one bed and Laura slept in another.

jason88cubs likes this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I remember reading people were asking why Norton's apt was so much nicer than Ralph's...On time credit payments! that's funny.

ODIrony and EdgardV like this.
  14. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Frasier.

Seems like it was limited to his condo living room. Occasionally the kitchen and Daphne's bedroom. Oh I just remembered he was a psychologist on the radio. So there was a radio studio set too.

Bhob and jason88cubs like this.
  15. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Also the cafe so it was like 3 regular sets.

jason88cubs likes this.
  16. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Oh yes, I haven't seen that show in ages — forgot about the cafe. Thanks.

17. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

At first I was thinking the same thing, but there was the bedroom set, the living room set, the kitchen set, occasionally a set for the garage and the basement with pool table, and yes the writer's office set.

But they would go to Alan Brady's office every so often as well. Sometimes they showed the studio where the Alan Brady show was performed.

Occasionally, Rob and Laura went to various functions in the evenings and weekends, and out to dinner, or at lodges for the weekend, the police station, Rob and Jerry went skiing, they showed the inside of Millie and Jerry's living room sometimes, there was an auction set, there were award ceremony sets, and even a few mock outdoor sets.

They also did a lot of flashbacks to when Rob was in the army, and when they were dating, and their honeymoon, and their first apartment and in the hospital when Richie was born.

But yeah, one could argue that most were, the bedroom, the living room, the kitchen, the writers office and Alan Brady's office.

But I found it interesting that they actually just reworked some of the primary sets, for briefly used temporary sets.

Once when they went to Alan Brady's home office, it looked a lot like Rob and Laura's bedroom. As did Jerry's home dentist office.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  18. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Maybe News Radio.

Main office and radio studio.
    Manager's office.
    Elevator foyer.
    Break room.

19. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

All In The Family

ODIrony, Sean, hbbfam and 8 others like this.
  20. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

What happened to the involvement of the OP? ;-)

21. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

Yeah Barney Miller for the win, unless we go into Barneys office if that even counts as a second location, we basically are in the main precinct room, except for the odd outlier (the stake out episode, and the early barneys home eps)

Bluesman Mark and OldSoul like this.
  22. jason88cubs

Brady Bunch?
    Taxi?

23. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Does it count as the same set when they redesigned it to look like a spaceship and the Titanic?

They were in some other places in and around the building also. They went in the men's room multiple times. Also in the elevator itself. Bill was seen in the lobby. They went out on the ledge of the building with Jon Lovitz. Matthew was outside on the street in that one too. Jimmy James had a fake hot air balloon set up in the building somewhere.

They also made a fair number of trips outside the office, usually for one-time occasions. They played poker at, I think, Joe's apartment. Bill visited Dave's apartment. Matthew had a dentist's office. Joe and Matthew had a boxing match in a ring. They went to an apartment with an erotic set-up that they thought was Bill's. Jimmy gave a speech at a bookstore. I think later he went to the airport. Dave went to a funeral attended by the KKK. They met Seinfeld at a restaurant. They went to a different restaurant after Matthew got fired. Bill went to an adoption center. He also went to a film set to shoot a TV commercial. Beth took Matthew to an aquarium. In the last season they had a wedding, outdoors, I think. They went to a charity event where Dave did knife-throwing. They might've attended an awards ceremony at some point. They went to a Halloween party. They went to a gym run by Ben Stiller. They went to a bachelor auction. The epilogue of the dream episode had Jimmy staring into a snow globe in someone's house, I think.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  24. jason88cubs

Family Ties. I swear everytime I tune in 95% of the time they are at home

driverdrummer, Sean, Grant and 4 others like this.
  25. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Gee, you've seen more episodes or have a better memory than me. Good job. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.