Question about Record Grading

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by DaleClark, May 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a pristine promotional copy (white label) of Tony Joe White's Homemade Ice Cream. I am guessing the record was only played once or twice. Quiet as a mouse. I would say between VG plus and Near Mint (closer to Near Mint). My question, the radio station stamped on their logo on the label (both sides). my question, does that stamp downgrade the vinyl condition or is it all about the playing surface.

Opinions please

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

To me it is only about how it sounds, or how clean it is, or however we want to word it .... but I am far from a record connoisseur

3. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I wouldn't lower the grade due to this, but I would make a note of it in the description.

Dave, curbach and mark winstanley like this.
  4. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thats what I did in Discogs. If the lebel is in rough shape, I'll lower the grade. However, this is a promo copy and radio stations sometimes stamp on the label.

Revolver likes this.
  5. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

The critical factor is the condition of the record, in my view. Is it free of scuffs, scratches, hairlines or obvious surface defects? Another consideration is the presence of spindle marks around the spindle hole/label area. If there are spindle marks, you should mention that. Is it completely flat or is there any undulation at the edge when it is revolving? The latter is somewhat obvious but it is hardly ever mentioned by sellers. You say it is as 'quiet as a mouse' and that is an obvious plus. If I were in your shoes I would clean it on an Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machine too, for best effect. The stamp shouldn't cause a huge amount of difficulty as long as it is neat and tidy, but do mention it in your listing with the possibility of sending on a photo, if required to interested parties. I assume the sleeve/jacket etc. is also pretty much like new if you are grading it as NM/M-. To give yourself the best selling experience, I believe you have to be thorough and open/detailed about the description and condition of a record. Too many sellers flippantly advertise records as NM/M- when they are VG at best. NM/M- means like new. This is a rare record so you should get a lot of interest in it if it is true NM/M-. Analogue Productions reissued this album on vinyl in 2011. That is the issue I bought back then. Good luck!

6. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

If you think it's a VG+, then that's a Discogs Mint.

jamesc, Grootna and mark winstanley like this.
  7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Lol
    sadly, that does seem to be the case

8. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

As others pointed out, I'd note it on the advertisement but don't discount the grading. Speaking for myself, I like radio station stamps on record jackets. Gives it a sense of place/history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.