No 10 / 15% vinyl discounts at Acoustic Sounds or Music Direct

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Dino Rick, Feb 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

I was initially upset about the discontinued discount at AS. I ordered from them all the time. I stopped for maybe a month.

I’ve concluded, however, the world is simply dysfunctional due to COVID and will probably remain so for a year or two. If I am able to get quality product, albeit shipped slowly, then I’m willing to pay a premium. Here’s why.

I thought I could replace most of my ordering with Amazon. That was a terrible decision. Just terrible. I have sent back most LPs I received from them. LPs have shown up without boxes in plastic bags. They have been warped like crazy, the jackets are a mess. The tone poets are the only thing that shows up protected... hopefully that will continue like it has for two years (that’s all I’ll buy off Amazon). I even purchased some CD box sets. The boxes showed up smashed. It’s just dumb

So 2 months ago, I started ordering again from acoustic sounds. I’ve thrown in the towel. My time is worth more than the 10%+ discount. I think those days are over with inflation regardless. In the end, Chad gets my business. He does it well and it’s worth the price to me.

Shawn and GentleSenator like this.
  2. Setec Astronomy

Setec Astronomy Active Member

That's reassuring but it makes the lack of promo codes on a holiday weekend all the more frustrating/annoying.

Shawn and George P like this.
  3. Setec Astronomy

I have. It seems to really depend on it's potential resale value on Amazon Warehouse (or manufacturer return credit) versus the cost of shipping it back and sorting it at a warehouse. Any 3rd party item, Prime or not, would always get sent back, as well.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  4. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

why would they give discounts if theyre selling more records than they used to with no promo codes? Id personally love a code as theres some stuff i want but i dont expect it just because theres a holiday

5. Setec Astronomy

Well, all the evidence I have that "they are selling more records than ever" is coming from a stranger on the internet. I'm inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt on this but there's an equal probability that they are not selling more than ever. If they have had warehouse staffing limitations for any considerable length of time, then they won't have been able to keep up with the normal pace of orders, so removing a major incentive for orders (e.g., promo codes) to slow things down could've been a sensible reaction but it would also suggest that they are not selling more records than ever.

As for expectations, a quick check of my own order history shows that I've been buying from them for at least 7 years now - and in that entire time they've offered a base 10% off sales promotion, consistently upping it to 15% or 20% on big holidays. A sudden change like this, with no explanation, is concerning. I think it's fair to expect them to operate in a consistent manner or at least communicate to customers about the changes. I was only trying to suggest that, if they didn't totally eliminate the codes but are just offering them more sparingly, then a holiday like today would be the day to find out if that's the case. Obviously, it isn't...no code posted today.

Did you have any thoughts on the possible correlation between the missing promo codes and the discontinuation of the hi-res digital music downloads?

George P likes this.
  6. Swordsandchains

Acoustic Sound, Music Direct, and Elusive Disc all discontinued the 10% off coupon code at the same time. This weekend ED and MD have their first sale codes of the entire year. In fact, MD didnt even have one until a little while after ED put theirs out.

Why would all 3 discontinue coupons at exact same time at the height of the vinyl revival and vinyl selling the best it has in decades in 2020? LP sales are through the roof, 8,000 one steps priced at $125 a piece are selling out in preorder or a week or two after release. $125 UHQR Jethro Tull boxsets are selling out in 6-8 weeks. Prestige LPs pressed in 2014 in small numbers sat around for years until they suddenly all sold out and now everyone wants to do them again.

$25 and $35 Blue Note titles are selling out in preorder.

$100 Yusef Lateef record selling out in 26 seconds.

Chad has closed on a property to build a bigger warehouse, he is cranking out stuff with QRP and cant keep up with all the work. LP plants are backed up 6-8 months because of covid but also because of the amount of vinyl being pressed.

all the evidence is there that vinyl is selling like crazy right now, and not just cheap $14 vinyl. Audiophile vinyl is through the roof and in high demand. Why give a code for them to lose money when people are going to buy the stuff anyways?

jlrchrds likes this.
  7. Setec Astronomy

I was unaware the other two discontinued their promo codes at all, let alone at the same time. I don't buy from either of them as often as I do from Acoustic Sounds or anywhere else. But now you've got me worried that there's some price fixing going on!

Sorry, where I come from, those examples only amount to a handful of anecdotal evidence. None of these things definitively explain why Acoustic Sounds discontinued the promo codes or the digital downloads or if the two changes were related. Aside from the lack of promo codes, I have not experienced any noticeable price increases; nor have I experienced an inability or even difficulty to acquire physical audiophile vinyl. Perhaps I am contributing to why some things are selling out quickly.

Simple: Because you want them to buy those things from you and not your competitor.
    Example: I'm able to get Tone Poet albums from local shops for less than Acoustic Sounds sells them, so that's what I do.

Pali Gap, teag and George P like this.
  8. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

i wonder if there'll be 4th of july discount codes for AS. hmmm :sigh:

9. Swordsandchains

Considering they just did 10% for fathers day; and that was their first code since December 2020, highly doubtful

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  10. jasonsouza77

ohhhh. okay thought of picking up a few AP LP titles. but they all have "not eligible for further discount" on their pages so i guess discount code or not its of no use? :cry:

11. Andrew Johnston

Andrew Johnston Forum Resident

Unfortunately that was the case for both the AS and Music Direct Father's Day sales. I put about $1000 in my cart for each and none of them were discounted. I have to pay to ship to Canada so I have been doing $500-1000 orders when these sales come up. It is no longer worth my while doing so.

12. jasonsouza77

ohhhh man. gosh. just checked my last order during xmas time before covid. even the AP titles were discounted 15%. guess the good times are over

13. teag

teag Forum Resident

As soon as people stop buying everything they release, like Jazz titles they never have heard of, but just have to have it, the sales will come back

14. jasonsouza77

agreed :agree:

15. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

[​IMG]

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  16. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

You may need to seek counselling for your condition lol...

Myke likes this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

Sale does not include AP, MFSL or Impex titles. :sigh:

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  18. jasonsouza77

yes i just tried AP, blue note 80/classic and ORG. only the blue note had the discount applied. others' prices remained the same. was reading earlier posts in this thread that deliveries shipping out were delayed. read the acoustic sounds FAQs and its mentioned that deliveries were shipped out same day if order placed before 3pm. are any of you still experiencing delays?

19. Pali Gap

I recently ordered a title that had actually just sold out and showed as 'back-order'. I was very (happily) surprised to see the order was shipped out the same day, arrived in under 4 days.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  20. jasonsouza77

wow. okay

21. Pali Gap

On the contrary, providing a discount has a positive psychological effect on many customers, and often results in people spending more money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.