Is there an obscure band, musician, song that you love? Share with us. Post it on this thread..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 30, 2021.

1. A-Tone

A-Tone camera shy

2. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

More great music no one’s ever heard: Garland Frady
    Michael Nesmith produced Garland’s only album, Pure Country, in 1973. My promo copy is one of my most prized possessions. It’s a crying shame that Garland Frady never could break out beyond the LA club scene. He’s criminally underrated.

I love every song on this album, but my current repeat 1 is his cover of “Orange Silk Blouse”

3. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Slim Tejeda. He's about 7 nowadays, god knows how much he's developed.

SimonSaysCake likes this.
  4. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

5. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Great unsung australian band

6. El Nuevo Rich-o

El Nuevo Rich-o Forum Resident

What were you doing backstage at Skyhooks concerts, dare I ask?

Mylene likes this.
  7. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

Unless you were in Western MA, which I was, back in the 90s the only other place you would have heard The Scud Mountain Boys is on college radio. They used to play throughout the Happy Valley back in those days and I caught them a few times.

The lo-fi alt-country sound they had would have made them bigger if they were a new band in the lat five years, I feel.

8. I Have Been Floated

I Have Been Floated Duke of Kirkcaldy

9. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

The Subdudes were a staple in the bar circuit in Denver in the '80's. Tremendous live band, saw them many times back in the day.

Great choice.

spinyn and Atmospheric like this.
  10. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Gabor Szabo:

11. iainoco

iainoco Forum Resident

Dot Allison, she’s worked with One Dove, Death in Vegas, Scott Walker, Pete Doherty and Massive Attack. Amazing body of work

jupiter8 and Beamish13 like this.
  12. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I also like 'Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking' a lot better.

Frank likes this.
  13. Mandocello

Mandocello My irritability keeps me alive and kicking

Bill Mallonee/Vigilantes of Love have dozens of top notch songs, criminally overlooked ~

14. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Indian Song - Elastica

Not sure how many have heard this outside the UK.

John Lloyd and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  15. dave_ida

dave_ida Forum Resident

Simon Finn - Pass The Distance - 1970

16. dave_ida

dave_ida Forum Resident

Bill Stone - Stone - 1970

kamchatka likes this.
  17. Frip

Frip Forum Resident

Stephen Jones (Babybird). Briefly famous in the UK and some other countries in the 90s, but incredibly prolific and IMO an artist easily comparable to Ray Davies or David Bowie. It's just that some fall on stony ground.

Here is an awesome free (pay-what-you-like) Bandcamp sampler that you must download.

AN INTRODUCTION TO, by BABYBIRD

sharedon likes this.
  18. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

My band Shuffledown opened for VOL in the late 90s. It was one of the great evenings of my life. Bill was super supportive of what we were doing. Of course we loved his stuff.

Mandocello and manicpopthrill like this.
  19. Sunbear, from Dublin. Very much a band of the time (middish 90's) but the album holds up well today. I don't think the band are together at all now.

Bobocryce likes this.
  20. river_man

river_man Forum Resident

Thanks for this! I will definitely be checking out both albums soon...

clhboa likes this.
  21. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Diamond Dogs. In a perfect world, they'd be huge. I can't believe more people on this forum don't like them, but here's goes another try:

22. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I’ll take Gene Parsons solo album Kindling. What a great album. Gene plays drums, guitar, banjo, pedal steel.

The CD List Guy and Safeway 2 like this.
  23. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

I live in Brazil, but I happen to be a big fan. I discovered them by accident. Steve Walden was once a drummer with the Cone Ponies, which later evolved into the Vigilantes of Love. He wrote a doctoral thesis on Brazilian rock music in 1996 and got in touch with me through a relative of mine who lives in Athens, GA. I provided him with some information about Brazilian rock music and we even traded a few CDs for a time. I met him in person when I visited Athens in 2002. However, I discovered the Vigilantes of Love much later, just out of curiosity, because Steve had once played with them. Now it's difficult for me to import CDs and I'm also cutting my expenses, but I listen to their music on Deezer, Tidal and Bandcamp. Some of their albums are available on iTunes. Bill Mallonee is really a great songer/songwriter/player who deserves to be better known. By the way, I had mentioned them before on this forum. Check here:

Your favourite little known musician? *

Mandocello and manicpopthrill like this.
  24. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Well, should you choose to listen, put yourself fully in a 1968 state of mind or if you're a youngster, what you perceive 1968 to sound like. I present to you for your listening pleasure... The Curtain Calls Sock It To Me Sunshine!

25. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I have to post another favorite obscurity from '69 by The Brothers Sincere Sweet Lady In The Moon.