The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I saw this today. I’d planned on seeing it today even before you posted about it. ;)

I agree - this is an old-fashioned feel-good movie. It is heartwarming, emotional, and has a terrific ensemble cast. I loved it, and this is exactly the kind of positive movie I’m looking for right now.

Because I know you are going to ask, there were 11 people there including me, in a theater that holds 146. I was surprised that the whole place was still pretty much deserted on a hot Sunday afternoon. But then, it seems like mostly the same five or so films have been playing in every theater everywhere for a month now.

Saw the trailer for Cruella for the second time today and it looks very good.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Glad you saw and enjoyed it.

I'll have to see it, but as someone on Twitter pointed out - what is Disney's thinking here?

"You know what we need to do with our most memorable villains? Make them hot!"

brownie61 likes this.
  3. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

1917. Late January 2020.

4. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I have to admit I know nothing about this film other than what I saw in the trailer, and that the character of Cruella deVille is somehow connected to 100 Dalmatians, which is so far back in my childhood that I hardly remember anything about it.

From the trailer, the new film looks like it has to do with the fashion industry, and some kidnapped dogs.

5. Chris DeVoe

Cruella's most distinguishing feature was that she was cruel. And that she wanted 101 Dalmatian puppies to make a Dalmatian coat.

SandAndGlass and brownie61 like this.
  6. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

So maybe this will be a nasty movie! I don’t know. I had pretty much written it off as something I wasn’t interested in until I saw the trailer, which looks great. As it stands now, this is a film I will see if it gets good reviews and if I am looking for something to do on on a rainy day. I love Emma Thompson, so that is also a draw for me, and what they show of her scenes looks great. As for Emma Stone, I think she is one of the most overrated actresses working today, but what I saw of her also looks at least decent.

7. Chris DeVoe

Here's the song about Cruella from 101 Dalmatians:

I don't see her as "overrated" at all, although I can accept that she's the flavor of the month. She had the charisma to pull off Easy A and the genuine acting chops for The Favourite. And nobody could have saved Aloha (the less said about La La Land the better.)

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Flavor of the month"? Stone won an Oscar and has been a star since what, 2009?

"Flavor of the month"??? :wtf:

9. Chris DeVoe

I've seen half of her total filmography, and yes she is the hot young actress. Which is no knock.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Film Fest

Got invited to a screening in Feb 2020, met Diona Reasonover (NCIS) in the theater lobby beforehand and Ron Perlman at the after party. Pandemic hit after. Fun independent comedy about film festivals that finally got released on the various streaming services a month or so ago.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I don't recall seeing any of her movies, but...

"Stone was the world's highest-paid actress in 2017 and was named by Time magazine as one of the 100 most influential people in the world."

12. SandAndGlass

Me thinks this has something to do with the huge success of Wicked.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I saw Cruella today and really liked it. The costumes were amazing and the film is a feast for the eyes visually.

Paul Walter Hauser played one of Cruella’s sidekicks. About halfway through the film I finally recognized him as the actor who played Richard Jewell in the film of that name from a few years back. The British accent is what threw me - I knew I recognized him, but couldn’t place him at first with that accent. He and his little dog stole every scene they were in in Cruella!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Theatre ?
    Tenet

15. Chris DeVoe

Just got out of A Quiet Place II. Effective scary movie, easily as good as the first one.

Towards the end of the film there's a scene in a radio station, and all of us who know how turntables in radio stations work are going to groan.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  16. CatManDude

CatManDude Forum Existent

Ah, that would have been Bound in Morocco with Douglas Fairbanks back in 1918, before the pandemic. Haven't been back to the talkies since...

17. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

18. Oatsdad

"Flavor of the month" simply sounds dismissive, like Stone is just some starlet who'll enjoy brief popularity and then fade away.

Stone's been a star for over a decade. She's in her 30s.

I think she's earned more credit than "flavor of the month"...

19. Chris DeVoe

Two more tonight:

Finding You is a standard romantic comedy with an enjoyable guest part by Vanessa Redgrave.

Cruella was very fun and beautifully put together, and was happy to see Joel Fry (who you may remember as "Rocky," the not particularly talented roadie in the film Yesterday.) We saw it at AMC's Dolby Cinema, which really benefited the excellent soundtrack.

brownie61 likes this.
  20. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

This has been the rainiest, coldest Memorial Day weekend here in recent memory. It would have been great if there were several decent movies to see in the theater. But sadly, it’s still just the same five or six movies playing everywhere around here, many of which have been playing seemingly for months.

I would have gone to see Finding You if I knew Vanessa Redgrave was in it. But it only played around here last week (when I went to see Dream Horse anyway), maybe the week before too, but now it’s gone. It’s playing 45 minutes away, but I’ve already done two 40-mile each way drives and back in the pouring rain over the last two days and am not up for yet another day of that.

Sigh.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

probably The Dowton Abbey movie a year or 2 ago.

22. Chris DeVoe

Run out of films to see.

The only movies we haven't seen yet are things like Spiral: From The Book of Saw (not into torture movies) and Demon Slayer the Movie: Mugen Train (can't abide anime.)

brownie61 likes this.
  23. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Incredible, isn’t it?

I’ve been seeing articles about the big ticket sales this weekend for Cruella and Quiet Place II, suggesting this is a sign that “theaters are back.” Well yeah, put out only two new films on a long holiday weekend, which around here anyway had 3 days of pouring rain and record low temps, and of course those two films are going to make a lot of money. Serious miscall on the part of the studios, I think. It’s a nicer day here today, but it’s still too cold to do much outside. I could have gone to the movies! (If there was something else to see.)

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. Oatsdad

I think they could make a "Saw" spinoff that uses the same themes without the gore, but "Spiral" isn't that movie.

It's pretty graphic!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. SandAndGlass

I noticed that also. The theaters around here have been open for awhile now. Earlier on, I understood that a good many other theaters in the U.S. were not. That being the case, I understand not releasing many new movies, as specially those with larger budgets to recoop.

But, I think that the studio's have miscalculated big time by not getting movies out there now. I would be going to more movies but there doesn't appear that there are many that I want to see.

I also noticed that many have just been hanging around for many weeks, without new releases to replace them. Big opportunities lost for sure!

brownie61 likes this.