CD Japan Shipping Prices/What Happened?!?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by audiomixer, Apr 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

I was going to finally order the SHM-SACD set of "Let It Bleed" until I got to the shipping portion of the order. They've deleted their cheaper shipping methods and only allow Airmail at almost $25 for the lowest priced option. Wow!

When this this take place? At the beginning of the pandemic?

I'll pass for now.

yesstiles likes this.
  2. More recently than that. I put in an order late 2020 and had options. Bummer, probably my last order with them then.

-s1m0n-

3. It's available from Import Cd's for $22.07. Shipping is $2.99.

4. audiomixer

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I don’t believe it was their decision to delete the cheaper shipping options...it’s that Japan Post and EMS deleted them due to Covid delays.

patient_ot, tmtomh and eddiel like this.
  6. audiomixer

I'm hoping that things change back in the future because I won't be paying those shipping prices.

noname74 likes this.
  7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Me either.

audiomixer likes this.
  8. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

25 is rip city.

9. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

International shipping rates have been getting ridiculous everywhere. I do very little ordering internationally any more. In the specific case of Japan, I've heard that their cheapest international rates were suspended because of the pandemic. So those rates may eventually come back. I don't know whether or not that's true, though.

10. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

There are hardly any planes in the air worldwide, it is bound to affect "shipping" costs.

tmtomh likes this.
  11. audiomixer

I just received this email from CD Japan:

Japan Post announced to resume shipping with EMS for the U.S.from June 1, 2021.

Due to rising transportation costs, Japan Post will introduce additional fees for EMS addressed to the U.S. effective of June 1. These additional shipping fees will take effect with CDJapan's shipping fees as well.

Note that a large increase in EMS items are expected immediately upon resuming its service and delivery may be subject to delays for the time being.

Following this update, these additional EMS fees will also apply to packages addressed to Zone 2.

[Zone 2]
    North America
    Oceania
    Europe
    Central America
    Middle East

See here for Japan Post's Announcement
    News - Japan Post

We thank you for your support, and hope for your understanding with this matter.

CDJapan
    https://www.cdjapan.co.jp

12. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

13. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

It would be nice if we could all be clear that there's no "rip off" here and that CD Japan, as noted in one comment above, did not choose to delete shipping methods. As noted above, EMS from Japan to the U.S. was eliminate - and it was eliminated early in the pandemic. It is possible, I suppose, that it was temporarily re-enabled in late 2020 when Japan was in a lull with their pandemic waves, but it's not surprise it might have been disabled again based on Japan's last pandemic wave.

At any rate, this is all beyond CD Japan's control.

Also, while the more expensive options are, well, more expensive, they're not bad if you are ordering 3 or more items from them, especially if they're tough to find outside of Japan (in which case CD Japan's core price for the item is likely to be a bit lower than, say, eBay sellers, partially offsetting the shipping cost). But yes, if you're just looking for one item, or you're seeking items that can be had from places like ImportCDs, then CD Japan is unlikely to be the most cost-effective source for U.S. buyers.

patient_ot, Dave and SJP like this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It's the same thing with smaller scale artists, labels, and sellers based in Japan. I had an order from an independent label in Japan earlier this year and they apologized about the costs but there was nothing they could do to control them. The info is very plainly stated on the Japan Post website. Agreed that it doesn't make sense for one CD but for 3 items the shipping cost really isn't that bad when you take into account everything that's going on. I should also mention that I received my package fairly quickly from Japan also, even with all the mail delays and everything.

tmtomh likes this.
  15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

When will they resume regular airmail shipping? Do we have to keep paying FedEx pricing indefinitely?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.