Favorite Opening/Title Sequences

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by NickySee, Jun 1, 2021.

1. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some folks are still singing this one.

Moshe, CDFanatic, four sticks and 3 others like this.
  2. NickySee

From Astoria to Bensonhurst...

3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Spike Lee’s Do the Right Thing

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I think the music was all wrong for this job, although I do like it...really feel like Mike Post was just pulling a generic one off-the-shelf, and it has no resonance for me with either the tenor of the series, or the emotions of the characters. But the sequence itself, tells most of the story, and gets you into it. Sam and Al (and third-wheel "Gooshie"): A "buddy story" of a different kind, with real heart. A moral center without being preachy about it. "Ohhhh, boy..." - Quantum Leap:

NickySee likes this.
  5. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

The color version with champagne bottle is a favorite.

6. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

So many great movie and TV opening titles! This one came to mind because it's brilliant on its own right, as well as a beautiful homage to Saul Bass and Leonard Berstein.

dan c

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

One of the best opening TV sequences from the 80s. :love:

dan c

9. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

And don't ever let me catch you guys in America! -Frank Drebin

10. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

If I’m not mistaken, this scene was inspired by the opening credits scene of Bye Bye Birdie. I remember reading an interview with Spike Lee where he mentioned it.

NickySee likes this.
  11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I was wondering how this took 2 pages.

Jarleboy and Boom Operator like this.
  13. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Action

NickySee likes this.
  14. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

Not an opening title, but I love this credits tribute sequence from The Dirties.

15. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

Actually surprised no one has mentioned The Simpsons and their legendary couch gags!

16. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

17. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I liked the intro to seasons three and four of Alias because it's thirty seconds of Jennifer Garner in every crazy disguise from previous seasons.

j_rocker, Spastica and NickySee like this.
  18. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

In color!

Dudley Morris likes this.
  19. NickySee

Quite. But I don't get the Lenny Bernstein homage. How so?

20. NickySee

Missed this series. Christ, they had five seasons, too. Make take a gander at a few episodes later. Thanks!

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. NickySee

Ah, the NYC Reservoir. Site of several memorable good movie moments. Who was the runner featured in that stock footage which opened the clip? You know?

22. NickySee

Never heard of it. Interesting idea. A bit like Mozart in the Jungle, which, though I like opera, I couldn't get into...

23. NickySee

My god, it was real. :laugh:

24. dsdu

Abebe Bikila has been featured in several documentaries about his life and the Olympics in general. His victory at the 1964 Olympics was featured in the 1965 documentary, Tokyo Olympiad directed by Kon Ichikawa. Footage from that film was recycled in the 1976 thriller, Marathon Man directed by John Schlesinger and starring Dustin Hoffman.

Abebe Bikila - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    GregM and NickySee like this.
  25. dsdu

Editorial Reviews

Product Description
    Way too edgy for network TV, this funny, uncensored, naming-names series peels off the glitter of Hollywood moviemaking and exposes the duplicitous but totally addictive, behind-the-scenes truth. Campy, uncensored and very controversial, this "too-close-to-reality" show features guest stars that include Keanu Reeves, Salma Hayek and Sandra Bullock. Superstar producer Peter Dragon (Jay Mohr, host of TV's "Last Comic Standing") builds his stellar career on the three pillars of show business - prostitution, nepotism and dishonesty. Adding to that an ego as big as a Beverly Hills mansion, the aptly-named Dragon and his cohorts manage to be politically incorrect, backstabbing, phony, petty, pissy and most of all - ingeniously funny!

Amazon.com
    Immoral, politically incorrect, and fiercely funny, Action: The Complete Series is a timeless comedy focusing on a group of Hollywood insiders whose moral compass has spun out of control. Led by uber-producer Peter Dragon (Jay Mohr), the series' first and only season ferociously lampoons the sleaziness of modern-day Hollywood. Dragon--seemingly the separated-at-birth brother of slimy uber-agent Bob Sugar (also played by Mohr) from Jerry Maguire--is a jerk who pretends to be gay when it's convenient and doesn't understand why Salma Hayek (playing herself) would slap him silly for making inappropriate suggestions during an earlier audition. In Dragon's lair, sexual harassment is an inconvenience, the screenwriter is an afterthought, and a movie isn't a film unless it's got mega-explosions. Mohr and Illeana Douglas (portraying an ex-child star turned prostitute turned studio executive) are a joy to watch. When a sycophantic colleague accuses Dragon of promoting a hooker over him, he calmly says, "She's my prostitute. You're my whore." A subtle difference, yes, but one that makes a world of difference in Hollywood. If there's a plus side to this topnotch series being canceled in 1999, it's that the writers didn't have time to let the show disintegrate into hackneyed clichés. There is no warm-hearted parable to justify the nasty means--just a lot of quick-witted dialogue and an excellent ensemble cast that makes viewers enjoy the characters despite (or should that be because of?) their numerous flaws. --Jae-Ha Kim

ref=tmm_dvd_title_0

NickySee likes this.