Looks like HMV in the UK may survive after all...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Sound of the Suburbs, Feb 3, 2019.

1. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

Certainly some of the stuff that I bought in the sale was cheaper than it was marked down too. Some classical discs were £9.99 in the sale (down from £22), but were actually £7.99 at the till.

boiledbeans, Pouchkine and Dave S like this.
  2. sacdfan

sacdfan Forum Resident

I’m probably heading into the Tunbridge Wells store tomorrow. Does anyone know if there are many cds left in their sale.

3. sacdfan

sacdfan Forum Resident

Just picked up the following cds: Greg Allman- Laid Back (2 cd) £4.99.
    James Taylor-American Standard £2.99.

Dave S likes this.
  4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I saw the Gregg Allman set in Glasgow, but it didn't appeal to me, although £4.99 is a great price.

5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Simple Minds - Streetfighting Years [2CD Remaster] was 50% off in their Flash Sale, so I got that in lieu of a decent boxset version (I sent that back before even opening it).

EG.

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That was £4.99 in the shop. I was hoping they'd have the deluxe of New Gold Dream in the sale.

Pouchkine and Eric_Generic like this.
  7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I think that's long gone OOP. Beautiful set, though.

I'll be okay with 6.49 plus postage, so long as it's not bashed up...HMV packages are arriving in very battered state lately. I don't know where they send them to get that kind of mistreatment.

EG.

Pouchkine and Man at C&A like this.
  8. shanebrown

I picked up American Standard, too. What a dull album that turned out to be!

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

James Taylor? Dull? Never!

Only kidding! I like his first few albums and he's my namesake so I can't be harsh on him. :)

10. shanebrown

To be honest, beyond a couple of the most well-known songs, I didn't know much of his stuff, but someone was telling me that it was an interesting album, and then it turned up in HMV. I'm sure the tempo remains the same through the entire 45 minutes of the disc.

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's James Taylor for you!

Someone told you a lie.

shanebrown likes this.
  12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It's worth checking. I visited today, and got the final Gong 2CD set for £4.99 (Flying Teapot). I've seen it in other stores, but never priced down, so I assumed it wasn't on sale like the others. They had Angel's Egg and You 2CD sets as well. I added Neil Diamond's Hot August Night III (CD plus Blu-ray) and Apollo expanded 2CD book edition for £4.99 each, and a copy of Blind Faith for £2.99.

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've just noticed HMV are now selling on eBay UK. To me that seems desperate.

14. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

'2 vinyl for 40 quid' is hardly enticing either. Not much of a saving is it.

AJK74, Pouchkine, scobb and 2 others like this.
  15. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

My last visit to HMV was a depressing experience....prices are ridiculous...

16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Currys sell on ebay, so it may make good business sense.

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Popped in after lockdown easing - Beatles 1962-1966 & 1967-1970 Red & Blue compilations on CD, £39.99 each.

18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't know what's going on with HMV's pricing, but there is a lot that's totally ridiculous. The Beatles Anthology CDs are also £39.99. As if loads of people are still interested in those! I'm pretty sure you could get all three for around that price online new if you are.

When they started the 2 vinyl albums for £40 they were saying it was all double albums, but now it's full of run of the mill single albums. Hardly exciting.

I can't see them lasting much longer, it seems this new owner doesn't have a clue about the UK music market or even UK money, like what is a reasonable price here. I was excited by him taking over and rescuing HMV, but as Gavaxeman says above, it's become a depressing place to be. I almost never see anyone buying anything.

boiledbeans, AJK74, Pouchkine and 3 others like this.
  19. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I noticed them on eBay too. I was looking for a series of Death In Paradise on DVD, and they came up in the search. Interestingly, or depressingly, they only had 1 copy in stock. They seem to be low on stock for most things, even on their own site. And lots of catalogue/recent releases don't even show up at all.

EG.

20. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

I managed to pick up Lazer Guided Melodies on their eBay store for £25 this week which is about a tenner less than anywhere else at the moment. Again only one copy in stock so got lucky i guess. Doubt i could have picked it up in store for that price.

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Some good prices tho' - I got All That Glue by Sleaford Mods for £17.99 post-paid. Double vinyl. Not bad at all.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I went into HMV once the shops reopened and it felt miserable. Not many people in, hardly any new stock, same selection of American confectionary and K-Pop box sets as before, just with the dust wiped off them.

Their Fopp branded store nearby was much better - more new stock, probably the same number of people in so it looked busy and everyone actually buying stuff. It has been much the same every other time I've been in. That sad thing is that, if HMV go down, Fopp go down with them.

23. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

Part of the problem with the HMV stores is they’ve got bigger floor plates than Fopp so they seem empty even if there’s a similar number of people using them. Also means they end up having to fill them with the some of the crap you mention.
    One of the strangest closures in Glasgow in the last few years was the Fopp on Byres Road. I believe they effectively got kicked out at the end of the lease. Now its a pop up, cheese seller. Seems odd that they are able to pay a rental level that Fopp apparently couldn’t.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

At the moment HMV being more like Fopp in all it's stores could potentially be a good thing. More interesting stock and enough good deals to keep customers coming in. I have very little enthusiasm for going into HMV now, which is a shame as I am, along with others here, the sort of customer who they need to attract and keep.

2 albums for £40 being presented as a great deal is treating people like idiots.

RobNeil, carlwm, Pouchkine and 2 others like this.
  25. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I am currently on Oxford Street. I have just past the old Bond Street HMV which is still boarded up, the owner presumably unable to attract the rent from another identikit off-the-peg clothing retailer. Apart from removing any interest to me from (presumably) the UK’s best known high street, it feels like a tremendous waste.

Man at C&A, carlwm, Pouchkine and 3 others like this.