What stereo gear are you planning to purchase in 2021?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 4, 2020.

1. jboersma

jboersma Tower of Power

I'm putting together a stereo setup for my home office that will be pure digital playback. Excited to see Spotify HiFi is coming any day now.

Now, I'm more of a vinyl guy, so I decided in this digital setup I should go with a warmer approach to the sound reproduction. Thus, I've opted for the class A Aegir amp from Schiit and will couple that with an Asgard Pre/DAC I already had on hand, and Super 7 MK2 monitors in Macassar Ebony from Omega. Given I mostly listen to jazz while at my desk, I think this is going to be a fantastic setup.

Pics to be provided. Omegas take 8 weeks to fulfill once ordered...

2. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I did and I love it. For the money and my tastes this is all the phono stage I will need for quite a while. To my ears this stage just sounds a bit better than the other stages at the same price point and I have owned most of them.

zboski likes this.
  3. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

I am getting an Audiomods series 6 arm in August.
    Cheers, Doug

4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

5. VinylMan07

VinylMan07 *Almost* but *not entirely* an Audiophile

New speakers. My old Sony ones are great, but when I upgraded my amplifier, it became clear that they are soon to be replaced...

zboski and LeeS like this.
  6. AndyCC72

AndyCC72 Forum Resident

I completely replaced my system in 2021 and bought the following

Cyrus One amp
    KEF LS50’s
    REL T5i’s x 2
    Bluesound Node2i
    Rotel CD11
    Technics SL1500C

prior to that I’d had the same set up for 12 years.

im planning on selling the Node2i and Cyrus One and buying a Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 amp/streamer by the end of the year. I’m keen to try the Room Perfect software on the Lyngdorf.

7. zboski

zboski Forum Resident

I was trying to stretch my budget for the JC3 + but I’ve read you get 90% out of the jr. I can’t wait to decide because my current project DS is the week link in my chain.

mike catucci likes this.
  8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Just received the new Grado 325x. Big upgrade in bass and clarity on an already excellent headphone.

Vincent3 and johnny q like this.
  9. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

There was a JC3+ for sale in the equipment forum. Last I saw about a week ago he had it down to 2k. Maybe make him an offer.

zboski likes this.
  10. zboski

zboski Forum Resident

I did now I’m thinking I want to keep tubes in my chain. The icon ps1 is now in my sites.

11. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I finally got back into vinyl and purchased a Rega P1 turntable. I almost forgot how great vinyl sounds.

JorgeGvb, Andy Saunders and mackat like this.
  12. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident

Having spent the past several years with PC audio and my phone because I thought it was more efficient and cost-effective, I finally decided to get the component system I've really wanted. A CD player is on its way to me now. I'm going to order a receiver when it's back in stock, and I'll get speakers then too. A turntable might be in the not-too-distant future. I'll be an under $1,000 system, including the headphones I've had for a few years. As a budget hi-fi fan, that's all I've wanted. I'm excited to finally be doing it.

JorgeGvb, jusbe and MikeJedi like this.
  13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

No idea. No plans to buy any new equipment yet. But then again I might see a screaming deal on an amp that I have always wanted tomorrow on CL...

14. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

The PS1 was recommended to me by a member who’s opinion I trust. Ultimately, I ended up going with a Herron VTPH-2A, and I’m happy that I did. I really like the looks of the Icon - no doubt it’s a great piece of gear.

In fact, @mike catucci was involved with part of that conversation. Thanks again for your insight, Mike.

LeeS and mike catucci like this.
  15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

The plan is to get a Technics SL1200GR this year. However, they never seem to be available - anywhere.

avanti1960 and JorgeGvb like this.
  16. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

17. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

Already did. First, Backert preamp (Rhumba 1.3), and second, Pi2AES HAT for RPi. The Pi2AES is really a surprise, and outputs AES, Spdif, Toslink and I2S. I'm using the I2S into a PS Audio DS Jr., and the sound is really good with the MoOde distro. So good, in fact, that I've just ordered another to use with Ropieee as a Roon endpoint. IMO, best streaming solution around, for the money, by far.

18. Callahan

Callahan Forum Resident

Are you happy with the upgrade? I'm considering upgrading mine, too. But I don't want to be without a phono amp for that long. If you don't mind, please tell us about the results. Thanks!

19. Anaplian

Anaplian Rise and Reverberate

My current system is:

Kef LS50 - speakers
    Technics SL1500C - turntable
    Krell KAV-400xi - amplifier
    Topping D30 - DAC
    Apple TV - Streaming endpoint
    Little Dot MK III - Headphone Amp
    Sennheiser HD600 - Headphones
    Spotify/iTunes Match - source libraries

I'm thinking about something like a Cambridge Audio CXN V2 streamer as my second 2021 purchase (turntable was already 2021).

AndyCC72 and Rick58 like this.
  20. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

I'm currently torn.

I have a bunch of equipment I can sell that I don't really use, and I've already sold some of it. I always roll my audio gear money in to an audio gear savings "account."

The three things I'm mulling over:

1. Upgrade my CJ amps (Teflon cap upgrade).
    2. Upgrade my JA Perspective speakers to the Graphene version. (Expensive)
    3. Buy a second hand pair of Devore O/96 speakers to finally get that itch scratched (most expensive option).

If I could just let go of #3 life would be simpler. I could upgrade the Josephs and likely do my amps if I want. But my auditioning of speakers a couple years ago left those Devores
    stuck in my mind, a big What If factor. Thing is, if I put the money to amps/upgrade Josephs I won't really have that money again for a long time to even think of buying the Devores.
    It's a "this is it or bust" moment for getting Devores (if/when they come up on the market this year). On the other hand, like I said, if I could let go of that itch, upgraded JAs would likely be amazing etc.

Rick58 likes this.
  21. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I am very happy with the upgrade. The upgrade from a PH 9.0 to a 9.0X improved the already excellent phono stage in every way. The noise floor is even lower with and even blacker background and small increase in dynamics. The soundstage is noticeably bigger with sharper imaging. The upgraded unit seems to have more gain from the new transformers as well. It took about 3 weeks from the time I shipped it from Atlanta to receive it back using ground shipping. You could check with Dan and Kristin on the optimum time to send it in.

mike catucci and Callahan like this.
  22. Callahan

Callahan Forum Resident

Thanks for this info! This is a big help. I think I should just go ahead and do it. I'm in touch with Dan, on Facebook. I'll fnd out how long the wait is. I know he's pretty busy with production of the new KWH 225i integrated amp

ellingtonic likes this.
  23. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people

May be adding the spatial audio x5 to my list. My speakers are the weak spot at this point. My yamaha integrated amplifier is not a weak point

Rick58 likes this.
  24. Callahan

Callahan Forum Resident

Waiting on production of a pair of Devore Super Nines that I bought a couple of weeks ago.

ellingtonic likes this.
  25. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I have been hoping to buy the PS Audio Octave music serve since 2018 when I spoke to Paul at EXPONA that year and he said it was going to be out late in 2018. He now says it should be ready this year.

Please - NO betting allowed on whether or not there will be an Octave sever this year! :rolleyes:

avanti1960 likes this.