Is there an obscure band, musician, song that you love? Share with us. Post it on this thread..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 30, 2021.

1. Odelion - Ghosttown

Great songwriter and probably the best voice we have in the Netherlands right now.

2. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

Not really that obscure, but Terry Reid is my man. Most folks here probably know his basic pedigree: Jimmy Page's first choice for Zeppelin vocalist (Terry instead recommended Robert Plant), opened for the Rolling Stones on their 1969 American tour (although he missed Altamont and there's no sign of him in the film Gimme Shelter), made five diverse albums between 1968-1978.

Now in his 70s, Terry still performs and has great stories to tell. He did Marc Maron's podcast a few years ago. I saw him in Seattle in 2019. He was a little drunk but the evening was truly magical.

Here's two essential performances from the early '70s. Note the presence of David Lindley (pre-Jackson Browne) and Alan White (pre-Yes) in the Glastonbury Fayre clip. Rock on, Terry.

PsychGuy likes this.
  3. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

Oops, error. Here's the other clip.

keef285 likes this.
  4. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

One of my favorite obscure songs, “Big Toe in the Wind,” by Bill Deal and The Big Deals. Bill and his band later had several beach music hits as Bill Deal and The Rhondels. But this early recording, produced by Frank Guida (Gary US Bonds, Jimmy Soul, et al.) in Norfolk, doesn’t appear on any Bill Deal album or compilation. Enjoy!

5. SirWallace67

SirWallace67 Well-Known Member

Saw these guys once on MTV basement tapes and the song always stuck in my head. Qualities '80s stuff.

6. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

Mood Jga Jga . First album from Winnipeg, Canada band produced by Phil Ramone.

7. McKigney

McKigney Forum Resident

Some of these rec's are really great, but something that would be super helpful would be if more posts included (a) year and/or decade and (b) genre.

thewonders and DrGoon like this.
  8. McKigney

McKigney Forum Resident

Excellent song from Australian neo-psychedelia indie rock group Deep Sea Arcade. Only two albums to their name; this song is from their most recent (2018), and their debut was released in 2011. I never see or hear any mention of this group.

I love the chorus of this song. And the video is quite David Lynch-ian

9. adadad

adadad Forum Resident

Jack White's father, Gorman Gillis singing "I'll See You In Cuba" home recording from the 60's. Always loved the song so I found this playing obscure versions .

10. MikeT.

MikeT. Forum Resident

Obscure to me the but what an OUTSTANDING album. Recording quality is superb, as is her performance.

Vanessa Fernandez, Use Me

Kate_C. likes this.
  11. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

Dean Blunt should be better known....this is the track 100 from his album Black Metal, just awesome...

12. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

The Amazing - Gentle Stream

Ian S and Grahamstuartcanada like this.
  13. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

Country singer-songwriter Becky Hobbs Included this great number on one of her independently released albums - “The Devil May Care (But I Don’t)”

14. Robert9080

Robert9080 Forum Resident

The glove - looking glass girl

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Mylene likes this.
  15. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Yes, I liked that. Steve Davis in "not boring after all shock horror!"

16. Robert9080

Robert9080 Forum Resident

The Mardi Gras Girl - I've Got News For You

17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Artificial Joy Club - "Psychic Man"

18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Gotta go with this guy.

19. Trash Panda

Trash Panda Forum Resident

Jon Cleary & His Absolute Monster Gentlemen may never become that well-known outside their hometown of New Orleans, but maybe they're fine with that. The band can be heard regularly in the Big Easy, and at music festivals in Europe and various U.S. locales (when there isn't a pandemic going on). They put on a great show, if you ever get a chance to catch one of their sets.

When You Get Back - Jon Cleary & His Absolute Monster Gentlemen (2004)

dart69dude likes this.
  20. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

21. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

22. Fishman2

Fishman2 Forum Resident

The Static Waves. They only released one album and a couple of singles but they were great. If you like shrieky feedback guitars and distorted vocals and a right old racket, you'll probably like them.

23. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Here are a couple of guys whose work I really enjoy but think they have little notice. Adam Ben Ezra is a unique and now favorite bassist for me. He is from Israel but I'm not sure if there is more recognition in Europe but I don't think there is any here in the US. The second is Lafayette Gilchrist and he has become my favorite keyboardist. Both of these guys play with what I would describe as a very percussive style.

[​IMG]
    Adam Ben Ezra ‎– Pin Drop
    Label: Ropeadope ‎– RAD-340
    Format: CD, Album
    Released: 19 May 2017
    Genre: Jazz

[​IMG]
    Adam Ben Ezra ‎– Can't Stop Running
    Label: Not On Label (Adam Ben Ezra Self-released) ‎– none
    Format: CD, Album
    Released: 2015
    Genre: Jazz, Folk, World, & Country

I have five releases from Adam. These are the two I began with. Interesting in that while he is a bassist and as I said my current favorite bassist he just put out a very tasteful solo piano album called Intermission.

[​IMG]
    Lafayette Gilchrist ‎– The Music According To Lafayette Gilchrist
    Label: Hyena Records ‎– HYN 9322
    Format: CD, Compilation, Stereo
    Released: 2004

[​IMG]
    Lafayette Gilchrist ‎– Now
    Label: Lafayette Music ‎– none
    Format: 2 × CD, Album
    Released: 2020

Two of the five titles I have from Lafayette. His song "Assume The Position" was a featured song in the TV series "The Wire".

24. mwheelerk

And one from Adam Ben Ezra

25. mwheelerk