CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

A DBZ reference in a CSNY thread.
    Never thought I'd see the day! :righton:

supermd and EgaBog like this.
  2. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Just opened my vinyl box set and playing the remaster first. Side once done, sounds amazing to say the least. I have a great original that I didn't think could be improved on m much, but this remaster far exceeds my expectation. The box is so nicely put together, with heavy stock jackets for all the other records. Rice paper lined sleeves. Shipping box with the CSNY font logo like the album. Is it worth $250? Well it will take a few hours to know for sure, but I'm really happy with the quality so far.

3. EgaBog

EgaBog The Dreadful Great

Soon this forum will be filled with iCarly references and it will be considered cult.

ET3311 likes this.
  4. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Finally got my hands on the new Vinyl/CD set. This thing is awesome, sound of the new LP cut is off the charts. I only wanted the LP as I have the download but glad I have the complete package the presentation is lovely, great booklet too.

jhm, Gonzo-a-gogo, supermd and 4 others like this.
  5. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

What is the general opinion of the sound quality of the new vinyl edition that comes in the box set with the 4 Cds?
    Sorry but i couldn’t find that information in the 183 pages of this thread. Too much talkin’ about the soap opera of CSN&Y hahaha

ET3311 likes this.
  6. Further

Further Forum Resident

Pretty much perfect. Can't imagine the album sounding any better than it does here.

7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

If Neil gave the “fans” what they “wanted” he’d have a residency at Vegas, playing “ Harvest” every night. No thanks.

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

careful what you wish for........................

and, after following this thread for all 180+ pages, i do believe that the "fans" really wanted 'sea of madness' 'everybody's alone' 'ohio' and 'find the cost of freedom' on this set.

and i am still trying to find out just how much young was involved in discs 2,3, and 4.......and if i have to guess, other than 'birds' and 'helpless' i'd lean towards little or no involvement whatsoever.

9. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Thank you! I’m thinking about buying this set. I only have an old Atlantic Cd of this album. I would love to have it on vinyl specially if is mastered by Chris Bellman. Is a shame they didn’t release an standalone vinyl edition. Of course the bonus are welcome but no so much the budget.

DK Pete likes this.
  10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..just a thought...maybe they're secretly planning a deluxe set of the first album (yeah, ok) in which Sea Of Madness would be included; in terms of timeline, it would be more suited for that than inclusion on Deja Vu. Not holding my breath either way. I find the non-inclusion of Ohio here the biggest mystery.

11. St. Matthew

St. Matthew Forum Resident

Why? It has nothing to do with Deja Vu. It wasn’t recorded or released until months after the Deja Vu sessions ended and the album released. It’s about the 50th Anniversary of Deja Vu. That’s it.

mmpd7680, ARK, JoeRockhead and 7 others like this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i respectfully disagree.

ohio and find the cost of freedom belong on this set.

i don't want to believe why i think they are not on it, but if they were included it would make 'so far' irrelevant.........just sayin :shrug:

Anthrax and rockclassics like this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i mean not really. still the only single disc release to get all the big songs up until 1974. you can already get the 1991 CSN boxset and have every song thats on so far

ARK, lukpac, chrisblower and 2 others like this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

true

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

There have been deluxe sets in which a song had no direct relation to the featured album but was included on that album due to some proximity or indirect relation to the time period release if the original album. The Plastic Ono Band set is a good example of that with its inclusion of Instant Karma and Cold Turkey. This also prevents these songs and their respective sessions to remain unaccounted for. All that said, it only makes sense (to me) that a deluxe set for DejaVu-if any- is the logical "place" for Ohio.

16. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Respectfully disagree on the studio versions of Ohio/Find the Cost of Freedom as they were not recorded during the Deja Vu sessions. But a case could be made for including CSNY’s live Woodstock version of FTCOF.

chrisblower, rjp and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

agreed

:tiphat:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. St. Matthew

St. Matthew Forum Resident

But this box set has been presented as being strictly about the album and its sessions. Not like John Lennon’s box sets which were presented as representing the entire year/era.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    mmpd7680, m_y_t_h, jamesmaya and 2 others like this.
  19. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

The post directly above yours has this: "sound of the new LP cut is off the charts."

21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Fair enough, I guess. If you're going to look at it as a set which strictly represents the album, then I can't argue. But it's not at all unusual for people anticipating such sets to also expect some representation of "singles only" releases which came out in a surrounding time period. Especially since, in this case, the single was the only other officially released studio record representing that period of the band's history (meaning specifically, CSNY). Again, your point is understood and well taken..and while I love this set as is, a tiny bit of leeway would have made it that much better.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

FYI

discs 1 and 4 can fit on one CD, easily. and it makes sense.

discs 2 and 3 can fit on 2 more discs and there will be almost 40_ more minutes of time remaining to add whatever one would wish to add.......ohio, find the cost of freedom, grey area sea of madness and everybody's alone and there is still more room.

this could have so easily been a 3 CD set in a nice CD sized box like the other CSN sets and sold for $50 or less. ..........:shrug:just sayin.

kmk pdx, laf848, rockclassics and 2 others like this.
  23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:thumbsup: Good points, all.

DK Pete likes this.
  24. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

I think including "Ohio" and "Find the Cost of Freedom" makes no sense. They were recorded 6 months after the Deja Vu sessions with a completely different rhythm section. They aren't part of the same thing.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  25. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Perhaps it could be re-titled Deja Vu (50th) and...Ohio.

Peachy, ET3311, DK Pete and 1 other person like this.