Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

I'd chalk it up to there isn't a bad version of this record. The original is pretty good by the sound of it, the RKS is really good, and the Mofi is also really good.

It depends how much you enjoy this album and if you want to spend the $125 on it. I could live with either the Mofi or RKS and be perfectly happy. In this case I have both.

chris8519 likes this.
  2. Sure, but that’s always the case, isn’t it? Yet we seem to have a much broader spectrum of reactions for this particular release. Personally, I compared it to the original and RKS. The One Step was the winner by a big margin. It sounded much more like what I can only assume the master tape sounds like (that detail and transparency can’t be added). To me, that is pretty clearly “better”.

The RKS and the original are much more similar. I could understand a variety of reactions if people were comparing those two, because they are close, but with different strengths and weaknesses. If you are someone who really wants good sound from the drum kit, you’d likely prefer the RKS. The intro to 50 Ways, for instance, I find much better on the RKS compared to the original (but it’s better yet on the one step). But I find the original a little less muddy, with better instrument separation and more sparkle. For instance, the acoustic guitar licks sound much better to me on the original than the RKS.

But the One Step, to my ears, is better in many “objective” ways. It presents more of what is on the tape. The midrange is open and transparent. The instruments are well separated and solidly imaged. The frequencies extend far in both directs, while maintaining balance throughout the frequency spectrum.

So I can really only chalk it up to system differences. Maybe some systems don’t dig out the extra detail on the one step. Maybe some systems are lean in the lower midrange and the boost there on the RKS evens it out. Maybe my system (or others) is boosted a bit in the midrange and with the additional boost from the RKS makes it too much for me and not for others. I don’t know. But, again, this is the case on every release, so I am still quite scratching my head at the broad range of reactions, especially when it is so clear on my system what is delivering the most accurate representation of the master tape.

For the record, I’d rate them:
    1. MoFi One Step

2. OG
    3. RKS

3. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

I am sure you are 100% correct as I have never heard the One step. But I was looking at the cost/benefit $22.50 for the Bellman Vs. $500 for the One Step.

jgrillo likes this.
  4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

How close tonally is the early OG to the 1 step?
    That's usually of big interest to me.

5. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

Just picked it up myself for, hopefully, the same reason. Playing it this weekend.

Beach House likes this.
  6. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Wow I just received mine and listened, and came to the same conclusion. Comparing the One Step with a live A/B to the 24/96 digital as a control. Then switching to the RKS.

the clarity and definition is higher on the One Step compared to both the digital and RKS. To me it felt a little like they were playing with the EQ a bit to brighten it up.

RKS is very smooth and a little darker, not a bad thing. Feels more “original”.

This is my first One Step. Disc 1 is warped a little. And offcenter, so at 45rpm I can hear and see the needle bouncing around and affecting wow and flutter (notes aren’t pitch perfect).
    The amount of noise on this super vinyl is maybe 10% less than the run of the mill RTI RKS cut!

In conclusion, I’d say the One Step is a different, more clear cut for sure. Different presentation from any other version I’ve heard, so it’s definitely a unique experience for your money!

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Interesting. I ordered the Carole King from Target (and they are still taking preorders while MD is showing sold out) and last night I saw a charge for it (and it wasn’t like I just ordered it...it was quite a while back)..they usually don’t charge until ready to ship. So, very odd as I know this isn’t likely even being pressed yet. I hope they aren’t sending some other version, especially for $135 plus shipping (they added a $10 premium). The art is correct on their web site.

8. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

I preordered an album from Target like two months ago and they keep charging me for it at the beginning of the month and then it falls off. I think they are just making sure you still have the money in case it starts shipping.

9. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I've noticed this range of opinions regarding the One-Step. It's interesting, as my own reaction to it, without any other versions for comparison, was sort of mixed. I'm thinking that part of the mixed reactions from the forum in general may derive from the recording being a bit like Bridge Over Troubled Water in that some tracks sound amazing and others much less so (though the flaws aren't quite as dramatic as those in BOTW), so responses can depend on whether one focuses more on the plusses or more on the minuses. This was also the case with the BOTW One-Step, with a lot of folks being disappointed, and a lot of others saying it was the best they'd ever heard the album by far.

Regarding the system differences you mention, I believe that undoubtedly plays a role as well. I notice that on the tracks that emphasize vocals more than instrumentation (like the title track), I feel like some more lower mids might make it sound more natural. I never know how to describe that sound: with too much lower-mid emphasis, "congested" is appropriate, but what is the negative term for the opposite? "Bright" isn't quite right--just a kind of lack of deeper textures. I also notice what seems to be a slight unnatural quality to the edges of the vocal in some places (but especially in the title track), if you will--almost like a hint of sibilance, but not quite. Someone mentioned a slight echo on the vocal, and I wonder if that's what I'm noticing, and finding that resonance to have a very slightly blurry quality to it. On the other hand, I also wonder whether adding more lower mids might take away something from the amazing openness and transparency of the instrumental sections, even if they might make the vocal sound more natural and pleasing to me.

When I have some time, I'll want to listen to the three samples Michael Fremer posted (of the MOFI, the RKS, and an original) on my speakers to see whether the increased lower mid-presence you say is on the RKS works better for my system or not. Just listening over my laptop built-in speakers, the two samples that I assume are not the One-Step did sound more natural and full in the vocal (and the one most readers were assuming was the RKS seemed to be winning the poll by a significant margin when I last looked)--but it's also possible that they would sound congested over the far weightier speaker system.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Cassius and MisterBritt like this.
  10. I've been pretty busy with work, so I hadn't listened to Fremer's files, but I just took a listen. I am nearly certain what most people have thought the files are is incorrect. I'm almost (95%) certain it is:

File 1 - RKS
    File 2 - OG
    File 3 - One Step

There are a couple of giveaways as he chose 50 ways (probably not the track I'd choose as the drums are featured so heavily). But the obnoxious tambourine on file 1 is undoubtedly the RKS. Neither the one step or the OG sound like that. File 3 is a bit more extended on the bottom, and the big tell to me is how much you can hear the volume of Pauls voice increase on the second stanza. I believe he's leaning in to the microphone.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Beach House and NorthNY Mark like this.
  11. The OG is a bit more lush in the midrange, but I think they are relatively close. The one step has a bit more bottom end extension, but it is not overly emphasized. Here are Fremer's files. He doesn't;t say which is which, but having compared the same three versions myself, I am fairly confident in the order I put in my last post.

Slick Willie likes this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I think file 3 is the one step as well. Of course, I am listening through my laptop which is never definitive. I would know for sure if I went and played both copies on the main system right now, but I am too lazy.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

File 1. RKS
    File 2. OG
    File 3. MFSL

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  14. That’s what I get posting on the run on my phone. Typos and forgot to give the link :p

Here is the link to Fremer’s files that I meant to include in case anyone is interested.

Mo-Fi Does the "One Step" With Paul Simon's Still Crazy After All These Years

15. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

Hi all,

This is a favorite title of mine because I'm a huge Steve Gadd fan and this is some of his best work, in my opinion. (also, shout out to the late great Roger Hawkins and Grady Tate who also play drums on this record). A theme with Paul’s records is that they historically feature great drums and percussion. To sound right, any mastering should reflect that, in my opinion. I want to feel the groove.

Received my copy a few days ago and have listened to it a couple of times. I then compared the three LP versions I own:

1. The One-Step

2. The US White Label Promo, cut at Sterling

3. The Canadian original, cut at the Mastering Lab (found out about this in an old forum thread years ago)

I’ve never owned or heard the RKS mastering.

I tried to edit this down so it wasn’t super long but I may have failed in that regard. This shoot out is the first side of the original LPs or the first two sides of the One-Step, comparing all five songs.

My overall impressions of the One-Step putting the others aside for a minute:

The low end boost / extension (around 60hz or so) as others have referred to earlier in the thread is doing a lot of work. At first, I wondered if it was a little too much but then, I’m a drummer so I can’t stay mad at it. Each time I listen to it, I get more used to it and it almost feels like that low end has always been there, but no one ever brought it out before as opposed to bloating the low end for no reason. There is also some kind of small boost around 1-3K to my ears, so acoustic guitars feel more present and also something around 10-12K to open things up and for “air.” That high boost enhances the cymbal presence but also makes the vocals sometimes feel a little edgy. I think that’s just inherent in the mix.

Comparisons:

ONE STEP

Title Track - Beautiful. Brecker solo realism, breathtaking. When the rhythm section comes in, you can truly feel the kick drum and bass. Best version in that respect.

My Little Town - I love this song but it’s just not a great recording. Everything feels kind of small on every version I’ve ever heard and this one doesn’t / can’t do much to solve that. The dynamics are better than other versions -when the drums start to build, you really feel it, as if you were in front of the drummer. However, the vocals are screechy and distorted as on every other version. It’s gotta be baked into the original mix that way.

I Do It For Your Love - Percussion is so tactile, dynamic and retains its subtlety. Vocals sound nice. Overall, not the greatest Paul’s voice was ever captured but it’s still decent.

50 Ways - Bass drum and floor tom sound like drums in my living room - insane. And remember, I’m a drummer. I’m in rooms with drums all the time, so I should know! Bass and drums together are so funky on the choruses, best I’ve ever heard.

Night Game - The double lead vocal is pretty amazing on this. I can “see” both Pauls in front of me and they are separated like I can’t remember on other versions. Toots’ solo gets me every time.

WHITE LABEL PROMO (Sterling)

I’m partial to originals, WLPs in particular. This is really nice overall.

Title Track - Paul sounds like a human being - pretty significant difference in the vocal presentation from the One-Step. His voice is present and in your face, much more real (because of fresh tapes maybe?). Rhythm section is still thumping on this but the One-Step wins handily in that respect.

My Little Town - This was definitely cut with more compression, less dynamic range overall compared to the one-step which makes the drums feel a little weaker BUT that same compression does smear and tame a little of the harshness of the vocals. This might actually be the most listenable version of this song I’ve heard.

I Do It For Your Love - Again, the vocal is more real to me here than on the One-Step. The percussion however is not nearly as tactile.

50 Ways - Drums are murkier in the mid range on this version and weaker in the low end. Still nice - but on the One-Step, it’s crazy real. Overall sounds like it was cut with more compression than the One-Step. Not as compelling from a feel comparison. The One-Step actually “grooves” harder, if that makse sense.

Night Game - The vocals smear a little more and don’t feel as distinct from each other as they do on the One-Step. Maybe overall the vocals *do* sound more like a real human despite the smeariness??

CANADIAN TML (Mastering Lab)

My memory of this was that it beat the US. On my old system it did, not sure if it does now. I did write out some notes on this but basically, it has neither the vocal presence of the original, nor the rhythm section feel and low end of the One-Step. Still interesting to have to compare if you ever come across one.

FINAL CONCLUSIONS:

It’s hard to distill this into a ranking of some kind but since that’s what we do around here, my favs in order:

1. One-Step. Killer feeling rhythm section, esp drums. Makes this record groove harder than I’ve ever heard it and that suits Paul’s music in my opinion. Vocals are pretty damn great although I think I enjoy the realism of the vocals on the WLP a little more.

2. WLP. Vocals are hard to beat on this. Not nearly as dynamic as the One-Step in general. Worth seeking out.

3. Canadian. Not nearly as cool as I remember it from when I first got it. Interesting to hear a different take from another of the great mastering houses but it swings and misses overall.

16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Glad to see someone else having the exact same opinion on My Little Town. Consensus seems to be it sounds fine but I never thought so, it’s just better than it was before (noted you like the promo better...in general I feel the same about most albums). I still feel Town was recorded somewhere else and then added to the album later. I used to own a recording studio and I was always partial to the drum recording tracks, making sure it sat in the mix properly. I totally agree with your comments regarding the drums on 50 Ways...it’s a real treat on the One Step! Very fun listen. Thanks for the excellent write up.

Matt Starr and NorthNY Mark like this.
  17. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Put this in the separate Paul Simon post, but figured you might be interested here too.

My woes with the latest one step, and how despite outlying a fortune I'm still in limbo.

FashionBoy and NorthNY Mark like this.
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is why I buy MFSL one steps from Music Direct only. I have had some issues in the past and was sent without charge replacement copies that were beautiful. Vinyl isn't a perfect medium but if Music Direct/MOFI send out replacements without the customer having to return the defective copy, it makes it pretty easy to get satisfaction. Acoustic Sounds does the same for there UHQR series.

19. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I feel you, my Disc 1 of "Still Crazy" was noisy, but not necessarily because of non-fill.

Since I had problems with my Disc 1, I am glad I bought directly from Mofi. Mofi has been very responsive to my request for a replacement. They asked for photos of the affected area, but it was so small, I had no luck trying to take a photo of the defects. However, I did send them quick sound sample of the worst spots, at the beginning of both Side 1 and Side 2.

20. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

I thought he did use MD and even called but his issue was because he is in Canada? The reason I am chiming in is because my Paul Simon One Step was loaded on the fedex truck for delivery but now is pending so probably will be here Monday. Just not sure how it will hold up in the back of a truck being it has been in the 90s all day.

21. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Yeah, I bought from MD which was, from my understanding, same as buying from MoFi.

Was very strange how they acted like they didn't know each other very well. I literally had to say, uh, same owner, no?

This is my first time for requiring a replacement, and as said in video, when response was "you should have bought locally in order to not pay for shipping of replacement" for a company that is selling out well before local retailers get copies, and unable to confirm even if they will be receiving replacement records for ultra limited editions like the one steps, it all gets a bit... Frustrating

PATB, NorthNY Mark and OptimisticGoat like this.
  22. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Yeah, the pain is for international buyers there is normally a charge - in this case they'll ship with my -next- order, but I certainly got a bunch of guilt when I said that I didn't want to incur additional charges for a replacement of defective product.

To put in perspective, to ship the single one step was $50 plus another $40 in taxes and duty.

So, again, I would happily buy from local dealers, but as we are all well aware they're simply aren't allocations for many of these titles to local dealers (ie, Desire, Crosby) or less than a handful for an entire city (RunDMC)

23. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Being in Canada I've been through the same with Acoustic sounds. I understand with non-repeat customers, but I've purchased lots of vinyl from them with few complaints. In my opinion the least you can do is ship a replacement.

this_machine and NorthNY Mark like this.
  24. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Again, let's be clear - they promised to do so, and not charge as they'll associate with next shipment.

My issue is that I have absolutely no assurance that there will indeed be replacement discs pressed (would they do an entirely new stamper just for messups rather than go on to next title?)

I'm in limbo, with a messed up copy, and no way of guaranteeing that it'll be rectified by the time of my next shipment, meaning I may have to end up paying $60+ to repair a copy that never should have got through QC in first place.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah that definitely is not good. You'd think Canada/USA would have a better agreement for shipping goods back and forth.

NorthNY Mark likes this.